colonoscopy prep

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
Not the actual prep the day before, but my doctor sent me paperwork about what to do starting 7 days before the procedure.
I don't recall quite as much detail the last time 6 years ago.

I have also been reading up online about what foods to eat starting 3 days before the colonscopy.
https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.or...ervices/gastroenterology/colon-diet-low-fiber

Northwestern Memorial even says no to all fruits and vegetables.
file:///home/user1/Desktop/colonoscopy-low-residue-diet.pdf

Just curious what people ate given that I am told to stop taking multi-vitamins too.

Are you entirely on board with having a colonoscopy?

Is the procedure your idea, that you sought out of your own accord? Or was it suggested to you by either a physician, friend or family member?

Have you considered less invasive colorectal cancer screening tests, such as a feces-based test?

I think it's a good idea to be clear on one's own answers to the above, and many more, questions about colorectal screening.

Is the procedure your idea, that you sought out of your own accord? Or was it suggested to you by either a physician, friend or family member?

Have you considered less invasive colorectal cancer screening tests, such as a feces-based test?

I think it's a good idea to be clear on one's own answers to the above, and many more, questions about colorectal screening.

I had polyps. I was suppose to have a 5-year followup in 2020.

I think the vitamins can color the pictures or something.

I had my 2nd one in 2019. I did not have pre-dietary restrictions as I recall. But I would follow what doctor says as there must be a reason.

I was not given any instructions on what to eat/not eat 8 years ago when I had mine.

I have one scheduled for this week. Instructions are to stop nuts, seeds, and hard to digest vegetables like quinua 1 week before, then clear liquid diet starting 30 hours before.

Last time I did one there were no dietary guidelines for a week before, from what I remember. Just the day before clear liquid diet.

I had nothing about diet except the prep day.

Sounds like the rules of diet could be changing. Not scheduled for one yet until later in the year.

I had my first routine colonoscopy in March, 2020 and I was surprised at the list of items I was told to stop consuming on a detailed schedule - nuts, seeds, vitamins, ibuprofen, fiber pills. There may have been others, but that is what comes to mind.

I have a friend who is a fruit nut - she eats massive amounts of berries every day. About five years ago she went for a colonoscopy after the standard anti-freeze prep. The doctors gave up and sent her home with instructions to stop the fruit for a week and come back. The seeds just don't clear out.

I have one scheduled for this week. Instructions are to stop nuts, seeds, and hard to digest vegetables like quinua 1 week before, then clear liquid diet starting 30 hours before.

Last time I did one there were no dietary guidelines for a week before, from what I remember. Just the day before clear liquid diet.

I have one scheduled for tomorrow morning. My instructions are the same.

Neither DH or I got any dietary warnings for ours last year, but hey, these things evolve. There are things you can do that make it harder to get a read, thus a longer procedure...or a failed procedure, particularly some dietary supplements.

I would just proceed as your doctor recommended, it's only a few days.

I have one coming up. The only thing it says is the day before do not eat any solid foods or use milk or milk products. Then do the Miralax/Gatorade thing.

I just had one last month with no instructions for “7 days prior”. Just the ones that came with the actual prep (2 days before).
That said, I would follow, ANY instructions that minimize the chances that I get sent home and have to repeat the procedure. I find the prep and procedure unpleasant enough so I won’t chance a repeat. Living with fewer or no nuts and berries for 7 days sounds like a small price to pay, by comparison.

Last edited:
I have a friend who is a fruit nut - she eats massive amounts of berries every day. About five years ago she went for a colonoscopy after the standard anti-freeze prep. The doctors gave up and sent her home with instructions to stop the fruit for a week and come back. The seeds just don't clear out.

I'm a veggie nut and the same thing happened to me. No one wants to be sent home due to an "incomplete prep". :mad: They gave me instructions for a 2-day prep, which I wish I'd saved- I haven't seen any similar on-line and changed docs years ago. The impact was gentler over a longer period. Yes, it did have you stop high-fiber foods 2 days before.

Most recent prep I think required that you stop high-fiber 3 or 4 days before- just about killed me because that's what I eat and I avoid rice, squishy white bread, meat, etc. Fortunately it worked.

You're an expert on the subject then? Or maybe you've read some articles from random sources and are consequently a reliable source of advice ?

My eldest sister did that. She's recovered from having her surgery due to colon cancer. Good luck.

That list seems to be the most detailed which I like.

I am going to do my best to follow the instructions

I was just wondering for those who were given the more restrictive diets what they ate. :)

Same menu for the 2 days before liquid day.

Breakfast white bread bagel, non dairy cream cheese, mandarin orange.

Lunch crusty french bread, tofurky, non dairy swiss cheese sandwich, applesauce.

Dinner, mac and cheese, non dairy cheese,rice flour pasta, broccoli, geez gotta have my broccoli, fresh pineapple.

A plus is I lost 2 pounds.

Last edited:
Prep seems to be getting more detailed, most likely to avoid failed test.
I would want to be "clean as a whistle" so doc can get the best visualization. Don't want any hidden spots hiding in the tiny diverticuli!

When I had mine in 2011 my doctor had me stop the fish oil caplets for a few days, then the regular prep.

He’s the guy that allowed unlimited number of hard boiled eggs during the prep. He said that they left no residue in the colon. The eggs really helped during the fasting/liquid diet operation of the prep. And he told me my colon was clean from the prep.

I was told to repeat in 10 years so this is the year. My doctor suggested Cologuard which I did last month. Results were NEGATIVE! So I will repeat that in 3 years.

If Cologuard is appropriate for you, it’s a much nicer way to get checked. Sure, it’s a little odd and awkward but no prep, very clear instructions and helpful website. It’s all in a kit and includes prepaid return shipping.

As the victim of 4.5 or 5.5 colonoscopies my experience says to ramp down your food intake for a couple days prior to clean out day. Don't do a Ruth Chris steak & baked potato the day before! I have seen most of these instructions for quite a while. Maybe 7 or 8 years. I try to comply as best i can

As the victim of 4.5 or 5.5 colonoscopies my experience says to ramp down your food intake for a couple days prior to clean out day. Don't do a Ruth Chris steak & baked potato the day before! I have seen most of these instructions for quite a while. Maybe 7 or 8 years. I try to comply as best i can
+1
Makes sense. I'm on the 3 year plan and don't like it but less volume is a good thing.

I had food poisoning and spent 3 days in the bathroom with a bucket before going to the ER. They did a CT of my belly and saw something they didn't like. They wanted a sigmoidoscopy and that required prep. I only had half the amount because of the prior 3 days. Small victory.

I don't recall any restrictions BEFORE the prep. Had 3 procedures so far but doc says something else is likely to get me going forward SO use the stool test instead. Risk vs benefit. YMMV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom