Join Early Retirement Today

Concrete floors & pain
Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Concrete floors & pain

I mentioned that Saturday (Dec 19) I spent several hours at USAF Museum. About 2 hours in, I started to hurt: feet, knees, hip, back.

It reminded me that after retirement the pain went away. Yes, I lost a lot of weight, but the pain went away faster than the weight. I woke up 1 morning & realized I didn't hurt.

A day later, most of the pain is gone. But then I'm no longer doing the concrete floors in a large building 5 days a week.

I still have arthritis & still sometimes have pain, but it's not constant.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You need to wear shoes.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Administrator

Not only that, you need good shoes, and probably orthotics. Concrete floors are very hard on the feet, and the feet are connected with knees, hip, back. I can't handle a "big box store" anymore except with certain shoes.

I think the human animal is better adapted to walking on grass or uneven ground, than to walking on hard flat surfaces like concrete.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Not only that, you need good shoes, and probably orthotics. Concrete floors are very hard on the feet, and the feet are connected with knees, hip, back. I can't handle a "big box store" anymore except with certain shoes.
I just avoid them for the most part.

Quote:
I think the human animal is better adapted to walking on grass or uneven ground, than to walking on hard flat surfaces like concrete.
We're definitely pouring concrete faster than our bodies are evolving.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The bottoms of my feet have hurt when I walk on concrete for any length of time since I was a kid. I just don't have much padding on the bottom of my soles at all, so I always wear good shoes--Dansko brand, Nikes with lots of cushion and so forth--when I know I'm going to WalMart even. I get what you are saying totally, Khan, as I have the same problem.
I'd wear clothing from KMart if I didn't have much money, but I insist on good, cushioned soles on my shoes which often translates to more expensive shoes...but it's so worth it.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #6

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot big box store.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #7

I've been working 12-hour shifts for 9 1/2 years. 11 1/2 of those hours are standing/walking on concrete while wearing heavy size 15 steel-toed boots. I guess i've just gotten used to the pain. It's there all the time but i've adapted to the point that it usually doesn't bother me... much.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I was just reading an interesting theory on shoes in the book "Born to Run". It about running, but it could apply to walking as well.

The theory is that the more cushioning you wear in your shoes, without realizing it you will land your feet harder, trying to find a firm surface to push off of. Running barefoot or with minimal padding, you land a lot lighter. The net effect is that quite often people with more cushioned shoes are pounding their feet and legs more, not less, because it changes the way you run.

With walking, you probably wouldn't compensate as much with cushioned shoes, but do be aware that how you walk is at least as important as the shoes you are walking in.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've been working 12-hour shifts for 9 1/2 years. 11 1/2 of those hours are standing/walking on concrete while wearing heavy size 15 steel-toed boots. I guess i've just gotten used to the pain. It's there all the time but i've adapted to the point that it usually doesn't bother me... much.
Try shifting your weight from one foot to the other. If at all possible, rest one foot on something...anything...like a box. Shift the box from one foot to the other. Try leaning on something whenever you can.

I stood/walked on concrete floors for several years myself. It sure ain't a picnic.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

This is why I would never have a tile floor in my kitchen. (and besides, everything I drop would break!)

ta,
mew
Old 12-21-2009, 05:11 AM   #11

I believe we lose some of the fat padding on the soles of our feet as we age which is why a lot of older people get more calluses, even if they are thin. I think the fat in my feet must be migrating upward to form a muffin top around my waist. I swear by good shoes, too. I like Eccos and Clarks for work and am fussy about my socks as well(Thorlos or cashmere blends for the most part).
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #12

OMG, I'd give anything to have callouses on the soles of my feet! Nope...just thin soles.
I hate to hear they are thinning out even more with age as I didn't have any fat hardly on the soles when I was 21. I can remember walking from the Lincoln Park area to Marshall Field's downtown Chicago and back, and my feet burning on the bottom like all getout when I was in my early 20's.
And, yea, I'm a sock snob, also, but prefer cotton all the way or, in hot climates, CoolMax types that wick the sweat off--one reason I love my sheepskin lined boots and house shoes by Uggs.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for reminding me of my creepy, barefoot running cow-orker, RB. Dude runs barefoot for many miles at a time and yaks about it at the top of his lungs nonstop. Even walks around the office barefoot sometimes (*shuuder*). Only time I found it amusing was when he was b!tching about running through a hood with a lot of oak trees this fall - acorns all around.

I pretty much cannot wear anything but Clarks these days, owing to needing heavy padding. Buying running shoes is tough, but I seem to have the best luck with Asics.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #14

He sounds kinda nutty, brewer12345.

I know Saucony shoes last the longest in tennies. Made super-well.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #15

I have similar issues. My size 12 feet are a bit small for my height (6'6"). I wear good shoes (rockports) and also a hard arch support.

Still hate standing/walking on concrete or pavement for a long time tho.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Walking - that's ok since I have good orthotics and am moving. ( I'm a New Yorker, so I walk around quite a bit without 'going for walks' )

Standing around - yech!

ta,
mew
Old 12-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

You don't work with Barefoot Ted, do you, brewer? He's the most infamous one, but I'm sure there are others. I might try it on our nicely groomed golf course fairways this summer, but that'd be my limit.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Nope, not Ted. A different special individual.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #19

The padding on the bottom of my feet is getting thin too. I used to go barefoot in the house all the time. But, now my feet hurt walking across my wood floors. I really should wear good cushioned shoes in the house all the time, but, my soft house slippers are so easy to slip on and off. They are off most of the time when I'm sitting and then they go back on when I get up.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I am amazed that concrete floors do not bother me as I spent thirty years working in Operating Rooms on concrete floors and standing for at least eight hours a day . I've always worn heavily padded nurses shoes with high arches . When I've tried to wear sneakers even the most expensive sneakers I've had pain but with padded clogs I could work for hours in comfort .