Cost of Eyeglass Prescription

For those of you who purchase your glasses online, how do you get them adjusted to fit comfortably? How do you determine if the frames are the right size for you (eye to eye and temple length?)
I measured a frame I already had and fit comfortably, then looked for frames of similar size. On sites like Zenni and 39dollarglasses, the frames are categorized by material and shape, then by size - temple width, arm length being two. Look here 39dollarglasses.com -- Help Topics - How do I measure the frame I already have?

My ophthalmologist charges $40 for prescription, I have always wondered why as the information is usually obtained from the annual eye exam (he goes through it whether I needed a prescription or not). I feel it is unfair but not much I can do about it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

This would be most unusual. Visual acuity (Measuring visual performance, i.e. 20/40 distant vision and 2/100 near vision), is always performed. But, assessing what correction is required uses different equipment and would not be part of a normal annual medical eye exam (and isn't paid for by most medical insurance plans or Medicare)

I bought a pair of glasses from Zenni a few years ago. They were very cheap (about $15).
But compared to my other glasses from my eye doc, there is something wrong with the Zenni lenses, perhaps strength of prescription is off a bit, or the pupil distance is not quite right.
If/When I don't have vision coverage I will try them again as the risk is small, and even the frames are worth the cost.

Sorry to hear that. That hasn't been my experience at all. One issue might by your Pupillary Distance (PD). That can be entered as 1 number, the distance between both pupils, or two numbers measured from the middle of the bridge of the nose. Your pupils may be just a bit different in distance. The person fitting the glasses may be giving separate right and left PDs when doing their fitting but your prescription that was sent out to Zenni may have had only a single number. You might want to try it again with both left and right PDs.

The lenses are all ground on automated devices and if the correct measurements are used, I suspect they come out the same. With Zenni or one of the other online retailers, you just don't pay for the brick and mortar or the sales people. You also aren't paying for some brand name on the frames.

Late post, but I would also be as puzzled as the OP about the extra charge for the prescription.

My vision insurance is Met-Life Vision Plan (Safeguard), and I go to a listed in-network optometrist for my contacts lens or eyeglass prescriptions. There is no copay charge. The prescription and eye exam are 100% covered. The exams are comprehensive and very thorough. There is a $200 allowance that can go towards the cost of eyeglasses or contact lenses. Since their eyeglasses are super expensive (I was quoted $750, with $550 out of pocket after $200 insurance credit), I instead use my allowance for contact lenses. When I ask for a copy of my prescription, the office provides it that same day for both eyeglass and contact lenses, no charge of course.

I would call my vision insurance company and clarify what your covered benefits are. I suspect the eye clinic provided an extra optional service during your exam (non-covered) that allowed them to charge you for it, and then mumbled something about it being for your prescription so you would consent to it.

Know your benefits and what is covered!

An easy solution to getting your eyeglasses prescription if the optometrist is wanting to buy at their place is just ask for a safety glasses prescription for work. Even if you don't work, a small fib gets you the prescription without hassle.

I took recommendations from this thread, and came close to going with 39dollarglasses. By the time I got to checkout it was getting close to $200.

But I looked at Zenni and found the cost was much lower. For variable lenses, with coating and UV protection, it was $94 delivered by USPS. Took about a week. This was with two pair of clip-on shades. These glasses are very light, and I am very happy with the fit right out of the box, if you could call it that.

Some of the difference was due to the frames being titanium at 39dollarglasses.

BJs was well over $300. Walmart was well over $200.

Been using Zenni for about five years, maybe more time flies, no complaint. A couple times a year I forget and leave them in a pants pocket and break then at the bridge. I got new frames really cheap. Don't remember the price but less than $5! Of course they were only $12 with single vision glasses in them.

My eye doc only charges a fee for refraction if I request refraction. Since I now have implants (in the eye, following cataract surgery) it is unlikely my prescription will change. However, in order to get new glasses most places require a prescription less than one year old. Otherwise you have to pay them (about $25) for the refraction. YMMV

A tip: Prescriptions from eye exams are typically dated to expire in a year.

BUT you can request (insist?) that they date it to last for a full two years and they have to comply with that request.

:cool:

Kindest regards.

If anybody has had experience in getting their glasses this way AND they wear "progressive" lens - I would appreciate them sharing their experience. I like to wear RX sunglasses and they have a way of disappearing.

I've been wearing glasses, contacts for freaking 40 years now and I have never ever heard of a "prescription" charge. generally I go to an optometrist for routine stuff but in my older years I've gone to an ophthalmologist.

I'd be screaming bloody murder if they did. wth. so what is included in the exam charge?

If anybody has had experience in getting their glasses this way AND they wear "progressive" lens - I would appreciate them sharing their experience. I like to wear RX sunglasses and they have a way of disappearing.

You mean on line? I have progressive lens and I do get my glasses and my contacts on line.

Unfortunately Molly my glasses are the one area where I don't go cheap. I live and breathe in them so I tend to want the best looking ones I can afford. also my non prescription sunglasses (I wear when I have contacts) I tend to lose but believe me when you kick out 600 for a pair of lenses, those puppies do not disappear. lol. I won't even let anyone handle them

I did exactly that if you scroll up and look at my post.

I went to ophthalmologist and had a full exam with refraction.

I shopped the locations mentioned and went with Zenni.

Previously I had used Zenni, but I messed up on PD measurement. This time I made multiple measures, and made correct one.

Progressive with coating and two clip on shades was less than 100 dollars.

I recently bought 2 pairs of "no line" (HD progressive) trifocal, 100% UVA and UVB protection, scratch resistant, anti-reflective, glasses from Costco. One was clear and the other dark polarized. I used titanium frames from the previous prescription that were in excellent condition so no charge for new frames although their frames are very reasonable. The total cost for the 2 pairs of glasses was about $260. That was less than half what I paid for 1 pair from the optometrist. There may also be some kind of rebate if you buy 2 pairs at the same time.

Cheers!

I just got my annual eye exam and learned for the first time that Medicare will partially cover the "medical" portion of the exam (wellness evaluation) but not the refraction. Your supplemental picks up the balance except the refraction. At my optometrist, the refraction co-pay is $30. Some/most providers will automatically do a refraction unless you specify you want a "wellness" exam.
Even though I have had annual exams (had cataracts) several times since going on Medicare , none of my previous providers had indicated they could use Medicare and I paid out-of-pocket. Glad I switched providers.
Nwsteve

Back
Top Bottom