Cyst removal

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone here had a benign cyst removed? I have one on my mid-back towards my right side. My PCP originally diagnosed it as a furuncle and prescribed antibiotics. It shrank a lot but never really went away. Several months later, it has grown quite a bit and is getting painful again. Our dermatologist recommended excising it and I have that scheduled for a week from Monday. She says the incision will need stitches.

Has anyone else had this done? If so, did excising it prevent it from coming back? How long did it take for the wound to heal? We are going to Greece in 5 weeks and I’m hoping it will be healed before then.

Has anyone here had a benign cyst removed? I have one on my mid-back towards my right side. My PCP originally diagnosed it as a furuncle and prescribed antibiotics. It shrank a lot but never really went away. Several months later, it has grown quite a bit and is getting painful again. Our dermatologist recommended excising it and I have that scheduled for a week from Monday. She says the incision will need stitches.

Has anyone else had this done? If so, did excising it prevent it from coming back? How long did it take for the wound to heal? We are going to Greece in 5 weeks and I’m hoping it will be healed before then.

Should heal by then, they’ll probably take the stitches out in 4 weeks, I’ve had it done on my lower eye and behind my ear, neither came back

it's been many years but I had one removed. it was about the size of a golf ball and had tentacles reaching out. I was left with a big hole in my back. there is no sign of it now, not even a scar..

I have one in my pinkie finger joint that comes and goes, the doc said it’s liquid gel from the joint and wouldn’t lance it, right now it’s gone

I had one removed from my hip many years ago, probably a little smaller than a golf ball. Stitches were needed but I don't recall it taking long to heal.

I’ve had them removed from my back and the back of my neck. They remove the core so they don’t come back. Mine healed quickly. One of mine they found basal cell carcinoma.

I have one in my pinkie finger joint that comes and goes, the doc said it’s liquid gel from the joint and wouldn’t lance it, right now it’s gone
Yours sounds like a ganglion cyst. This is different than what the OP is talking about. These form from near the joints. Fluid from the joints escape the joint and create a bump. I know these well.

I don't know about the OP's issue from personal experience.

Reminds me of my new favorite television show--Dr. Pimple Popper. Such procedures are highlighted. Dr. Lee was so popular on her YouTube series that she was given a real cable tv show. See YouTube.com.

Actually my favorite television show is Airplane Repo.

Had one on my upper back. Never bothered me but it was starting to show through my clothes. Office excision. The procedure never hurt. I don't remember how long it took to heal up. It was golf ball size. I ran across the picture of it the other day

edit: it appears I'm not as special as Mom told me. There are lots of these cysts going around. just live long enough and these things happen?

Last edited:
I had one that was about 1/2 the size of my thumb removed a few years ago. I felt almost nothing when it was happening and the only issue was not being able to wash the area for a few days, and to return to the office in 10 days to have the stitches removed. The surgeon made a small incision, and basically cut around the cyst to disconnect it from the other tissue. I wish I had done it years ago.

Last edited:
Dr. pimple Popper rocks, yes DW and I both have had cysts removed . NO problem. Years ago DW had a really bad one the dermatologist treated it with everything it would always come back . She even spent a while on Accutane finally we were talking to a friend of ours a doctor . She recommended go to a particular surgeon one afternoon a few stitches and it was all over . I had one on my back about the size of a golf ball No problem .

I've had two removed 15 years apart in differnet areas. Neither has come back, and was not painful or really a big deal at all.

I had a cyst in the middle of my back that became infected so I went to urgent care that weekend. The only painful part was the injections to numb the area. He spent a lot of time squeezing the stuff out, put some antibiotics in the area and put a big bandage over it. There were no stitches as I was told it needed to be left open to heal. There is a small scar on my back from the incision and it has not come back in the 2 years since it was removed. I took antibiotics for a week and was healed enough to go back in the pool around the 12 day mark. This was all relatively minor with respect to things that can go wrong with our bodies.

I figured I couldn't be the only one watching Dr Pimple Popper, and so glad to see these responses!

Had one removed from middle of my back about 25 yrs ago. No pain, and a few stitches to close up. Flew coach from NY to LA the next day. No problems at all, and it did not come back.

Sebaceous cyst in the middle of my back.

My dermatologist felt it was deep enough that it shouldn't be excised (possible damage to surrounding muscle tissue)

Every few years I have to have it drained.

I just had a cyst removed from my scalp - under my hair.

I walked into the Dr expecting an incision, but instead got it frozen. Just a dab of some super freezing substance using a q-tip on the exterior of the cyst. A couple weeks later it dried up, scabbed, and fell off on it's own.

Very happy with the procedure, but unhappy with insurance. They are telling me it was a "crypto surgery" and that I should have requested a preauthorization. Needless to say I didn't and they are denying payment.

Thanks for all the responses. Good to hear it’s common, not a big deal, and heals quickly.

Back
Top Bottom