Join Early Retirement Today

Dental work in Mexico?
Old 01-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Dental work in Mexico?

So is anyone driving into the border towns for dental work? Not just yearly cleaning but crowns, etc.?
We both need a crown or two and from other research prices can be 1/3 of the cost here in the states.
Not concerned of the travel costs since we plan to visit friends in Arizona next month and could incorporate a side trip for dental visits.
Any suggestions for dentists that speak english well?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This article says there are 350 dentists in Los Algodones, near Yuma.
Fast, Cheap Dental Work Makes Mexican Town A Tourist Magnet : Shots - Health News : NPR

This blogger's post links to a number of first-person accounts
My Hunt For A Mexican Dentist: Los Algodones or Puerto Vallarta? – Money Or Your Time

If you go this route, please post about your experience

No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

On the blog wherewebe by ER bloggers Robin and Robert Charlton, they have used a dentist in Algodones and recommend him. You'll find it under the road trip to Baja. Click on the picture (its under US adventures) and scroll down a little. They've used that dentist a few times and recommend him.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Fortunately, I have great teeth needing nothing more than the occasional filling. We drive to San Diego from Phoenix several times a year so always pass by the billboards on I8 near Los Algodones. If I ever need some serious dental work, I'll certainly consider that option as currently, I just have a dental discount plan.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

It's not on most tourist destination routes but I've used a dentist in Naco Sonora Mexico, about 25 miles from where I live in Arizona. It's best to park on the US side and walk across, for Naco it's only a 10 minute walk to the dentist. The traffic coming into the US is sometimes backed up and slow not to mention the need to purchase insurance if taking your car across the boarder. I've had a root canal and crown done along with standard procedures and very happy with the service and results. Some of the dentist may have limited English but they will always have an assistant with them who will do the translating if needed. Never had any communication issues.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

As an anesthesiologist, I look in every patient's mouth. I had one patient with some false teeth (I can't remember if it was a bridge or dentures). His teeth looked ridiculously fake. Color was off, they were blockish, just really weird looking. I had to inquire as to how he got them (?gumball machine??) Nope, Mexico.

Traveling in Costa Rica, we met a couple that was there for a week of dental work. It was 1/3rd the price, and reports were that the quality was quite good.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

I have an acquaintance who uses Dr. De La Vega in Tijuana

Dr de la Vega – Dentist Tijuana Mexico
Old 01-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoF View Post
As an anesthesiologist, I look in every patient's mouth. I had one patient with some false teeth (I can't remember if it was a bridge or dentures). His teeth looked ridiculously fake. Color was off, they were blockish, just really weird looking. I had to inquire as to how he got them (?gumball machine??) Nope, Mexico.
I have no doubt there are bad dentist in Mexico, as there are in the US, but with a little research it's not difficult to find a good one that will provide the same level of service you'll get in the US.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I have no doubt there are bad dentist in Mexico, as there are in the US, but with a little research it's not difficult to find a good one that will provide the same level of service you'll get in the US.
One of the first lessons in engineering school was that when you project a curve on a graph, it helps to have more than one data point.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #10

I have seen some dreadful Mexican dentistry, however, I've seen some dreadful US dentistry as well.
I have been to dental seminars given by Mexican dentists (I am a dentist, just about retired), and saw some beautiful dentistry presented. So I'm sure if you can find the right dentists, you would be well served. The challenge is to find the right dentist.
It's a bit easier if you live in the area and can ask neighbors, co-workers etc about their experiences.
Even if you know ONE person who had a good experience you are back to what travelover said about only having "one data point"...I've seen too many cases of poor dentistry in mouths owned by people completely unaware of the shoddiness of it, to trust what one person says about the quality of what they received. Particularly so if I were suspicious that price was the number one driving force for their decision.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I have seen some dreadful Mexican dentistry, however, I've seen some dreadful US dentistry as well.
Yep, they are out there. In my 20's my wife and I switched to a new dentist and suddenly had cavities like crazy - we were drilled and filled every time we went. We wised up and went to a new dentist who almost never found any cavities. When we queried the new dentist about our previous dentist, he had no comment.

One more data point.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

I used a Dental School, (UNC), the price was about 1/3 the cost of a dentist. The service was great. I had implants and crowns. I was 100% satisfied with the experience.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #13
Administrator

By sheer luck, I have found an unusually skillful and expert young dentist here in New Orleans. He is also on the expensive side for New Orleans, but he is worth it to me because my teeth have always been awful (I blame my Scottish/English ancestry for that although I don't really know if that's logical). This guy was well trained at LSU dental school, has great vision and manual dexterity, and keeps up with the latest dental techniques and training, plus his communication skills are great. Not only is he a nice person, but also he tells me flat out what I need to know instead of dancing around the issues. He has saved at least one tooth that I think other dentists would have given up on. He also hooked me up with a great young oral surgeon that he works with for implants as needed.

Anyway, even though they would be cheaper, I won't be trying foreign dentists.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
By sheer luck, I have found an unusually skillful and expert young dentist here in New Orleans. He is also on the expensive side for New Orleans, but he is worth it to me because my teeth have always been awful (I blame my Scottish/English ancestry for that although I don't really know if that's logical). This guy was well trained at LSU dental school, has great vision and manual dexterity, and keeps up with the latest dental techniques and training, plus his communication skills are great. Not only is he a nice person, but also he tells me flat out what I need to know instead of dancing around the issues. He has saved at least one tooth that I think other dentists would have given up on. He also hooked me up with a great young oral surgeon that he works with for implants as needed.

and that, my friends, is the way it is supposed to work. Congratulations on finding a good one.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #15

scrimping to save a few bucks on my teeth isn't worth it, IMO

even if it's a low probability event, I want my teeth worked on my a pro in the US
Old 01-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We spend 6 months in Mexico and have various procedures done. When we first arrived, we became acquainted with a retired dentist from Sacramento. He and his wife always use local dentists. That did it for us.

We have had great experience over the last 10 years. Make sure to get references before committing to anything beyond cleaning.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #17

Quote:

We LOVE our dentist (and the oral surgeon who's done a few implants for us), too. We just moved 15 miles away and we're sticking with them.

If cost were a big concern I'd definitely look outside of the US, though.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's hardly a surprise, W2R, given your dislike of travel.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

The last time we went to Mexico, the taxi driver drove us through a shopping center parking lot on the way to Guadalajara grill. A couple of guys with very big guns looked us over and walked away. The taxi driver had to pay a token to exit the parking lot. We had a nice dinner and never went to Mexico again. I think we just didn't look like who they were after that day. That was nearly 20 years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
scrimping to save a few bucks on my teeth isn't worth it, IMO

even if it's a low probability event, I want my teeth worked on my a pro in the US
That's how I see it too. Dental work is not something I'd look to save money on.