diagnosed with lymphoma

sad day yesterday

My BIL passed away yesterday. Wonderful sweet man with three children, grown but not fully independent if you know what I mean. He was divorced from my sister but still had a great relationship with him. He was 57. he visited me last week and we watched the football game together. It was utterly difficult to see his body laying in the ER. I have cancer and saw myself laying there, yet ironically this man went to work yesterday and had a massive heart attack never to return home. God rest his soul. Just a reminder to all to get those affairs in order, life is fragile, don't take it for granted. Tell someone in your life today how much they mean to you.

RF, sorry to hear the sad news. Keep your chin up, hope you are feeling better yourself.

R

RF...I'm so sorry about your loss. :(

fwiw...I've been thinking about you every day, my windy city brother....

Oh Ratty I'm so sorry. I'm fond of my BIL, and would be very upset if that happened to him. Also, I know you're under pressure, waiting for your end-of-the-month scans to see how well your treatment worked. We're all sending positive electrons your way like mad this week.

Amethyst

So sorry for your loss ratface...I'm glad you two got to hang out just a while ago.

RF,

You are so right. Life is very fragile and we have both learned this truth from personal experience.

Good advice on taking time to tell the people we care about how much they mean to us. I hope your treatment is going well.

2soon2tell

Today is test day, correct? I hope the scan results are given to you very soon.

I am "gathering" every bit of strength and hope that I can conjure up from my best reserves, and sending it in thoughts to you and yours, for a positive outcome. :flowers:

Ratface, I am so sorry for your loss.

And, wishing you the very best outcome from your test results.

Scans

Hi everyone

My CT scans from friday I think were very positive, meaning positive good feeling! My primary tumor at the base of the tongue is completely gone. Not showing up on scans. Doc also scoped it in the office and inside of mouth looks normal. They do it on a TV monitor right in front of you. I couldn't see it but DW said it looked good.

The two lymph nodes still show a little activity but these could be false positives. These scans are not normally done until 3 months post treatment to give the radiation time to subside and avoid false positives. However the optimal time for surgery is at about 6 -8 weeks post treatment so there is a tradeoff here. I still feel the radiation working and cooking. ENT has decided to go forward with the neck disection as soon as we can schedule it. She said she has several patients with active cancer which need to go first and then will schedule me. With Thanksgiving week in here this might get tricky. There are at least a dozen variations of neck disections ranging on severity of associated side effects and long term mobility issues. Mine will be a selective disection vs. a radical disection. My jugler and several major nerves will be preserved. This is good news since one of these nerves sometimes prevents the arm from being lifted above the head.

I also had a lung spot show up on my previous scan which is still there but has not changed size. Since cancer grows this is great news. Most of the population has spots which are not discovered until a chest xray is done for something else unrelated.

I also underwent a swallowing test. This test is graded from 1-7 with 1 being the best score. They start you off with milk of Mag. and then increase volumn and look at stuff going down with xrays. They then go to higher volumns and pudding and finally crackers. I scored in the 1 category. My throat isn't damaged too much by the radiation and scarring seems to be minimal.

Looking forward to the surgery and furthering the demise of the beast! I've requested the mark of Zoro "Z" which I think will be very manly for my scar pattern. Everyone have a great Sunday and keep those positive thoughts comming.

OUTSTANDING!!!

You have to be feeling a huge weight is lifted from your heart. Very very glad to hear your news - don't let that surgeon get too fancy - a good throat scar should add bunches to your street cred!

Yahhhhhhhhh Flippin' Hoooooooooooo!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Oh...I can just see you now..........:cool:

We'll be here for the next episode. :)

So glad to hear your good news! And, I hope to hear more after the neck dissection. :greetings10:

Oh, and I meant to ask, did you want me to change the thread title to something like, "Diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma"? I would be happy to do that. Or, we could leave it as is if it doesn't matter to you that much.
It really is a misleading thread and you have to read the whole thing otherwise you think I have Lymphoma which may or may not been better?

Last edited:
What wonderful news! More good health prayers/thoughts/vibes coming your way.

Great news. The very best of wishes from here in Louisiana's capital. :flowers:

very happy to hear!

Saw my uncle (he's just a couple years older than me) who went through the very same stuff a few years back and he is now totally back in the game...married his long time girlfriend a few weeks back

Congratulations Ratface!
One [-]small[/-] pretty big step for Ratface......one giant [-]leap[/-] sigh of relief for the Forum!
:flowers:

Splendid news, Ratface!

Glad to hear the great news!

Back
Top Bottom