diagnosed with lymphoma

Hang in there, ratface. We are rooting for you. The body may go south fast, but you are tough and can outlast all of this chemo and radiation therapy and your body will spring back. Be sure to mention the depression and inability to sleep the next time you see your doctor. Maybe he can give you something that is not OTC that might help.

Plus, I read recently that a very high percentage (was it 10%?) of Americans are on anti-depressants. There is no shame in taking those temporarily if he thinks you need them.

My daughter went on antidepressants and I will say they have truly been a Godsend. She said it is like a dark curtain on her life has been pulled back.

I've got to say that I'm going in a bad direction. Depression is setting in and I can not get much sleep. It's amazing how fast the body can go south. I've tried OTC sleep aids but they do nothing.
This is not surprising considering what you have learned, the shock you've gone through, and face going forward.
I will also recommend you talk this over with your doctor immediately and see what he can do for you in the way of an Rx for the depression and sleep loss. I've been there myself, for an entirely different reason.
Sleep loss will severely compromise your body's ability to fight...and you need all of your strength physically and mentally.
Hang in there...:flowers:

Cara de raton--

If your body is used to feeling good most of the time, it must be a terrible shock to your whole system to switch so fast to feeling so sick. Maybe somebody who's been on chemo will jump into this forum to tell what it felt like for them and what their doctor did about it.

those are terribly powerful chemicals they're putting into your body to kill your cancer so it won't come back. I keep thinking of trying to eradicate a noxious weed from the garden...it takes a lot of effort and harsh chemicals, and sometimes healthy plants suffer in the process. Praying for you to turn the corner soon. Keep us posted when you feel well enough to do so.

Amethyst

Ratface, I am not surprised that you are feeling a bit depressed. The lack of sleep would definitely not be helping you feel better mentally. Will your Dr give you something to help you sleep. You need to keep your energy to enable you to fight this dreadful disease.

Cara de raton--

If your body is used to feeling good most of the time, it must be a terrible shock to your whole system to switch so fast to feeling so sick. Maybe somebody who's been on chemo will jump into this forum to tell what it felt like for them and what their doctor did about it.

those are terribly powerful chemicals they're putting into your body to kill your cancer so it won't come back. I keep thinking of trying to eradicate a noxious weed from the garden...it takes a lot of effort and harsh chemicals, and sometimes healthy plants suffer in the process. Praying for you to turn the corner soon. Keep us posted when you feel well enough to do so.

Amethyst

Speaking of noxious weeds and healthy plants - might be a reasonable time to visit/revisit smoking some marijuana. May help with nausea, appetite, and sleeping. Legal or not I'm pretty sure you know someone who can get you some weed.

Just want to let you know that I'm thinking of you and the ordeal you are going through. Sending you a

{{{HUG}}}

Ratface , The depression is a common problem when you are facing such a life altering thing . Speak to your MD about it the anti depressants will help you sleep .There are several stages you will go through depression ,anger , acceptance . It might be helpful to find an online support group for people dealing with your illness .

Ratface, I've read through this thread and just want to say that I'm wishing you all the best. It sounds as though you're dealing with everything with remarkable grace.

RF, looking back through this thread, your whole life has been turned upside down starting 6/30 (five weeks ago) and your diagnosis was made 7/14, three weeks ago, and now you're having treatment. I would still be in shock; it must still seem so surreal to you.

Hang in there and I hope your dr.'s office can help with the sleeping and depression, as they surely have seen others react the same.

Bless you.

So sorry you are not feeling well Ratface! We are all pulling for you. Please do address the issue with your doc and see what can be done to help you. Hope you are also letting your support network (in person not only cyber!) help you out! If there were ever a time in your life when you need them it is now...

just plug along one day at a time. it goes so fast.
sometimes when I felt really sick, I would just pretend it wasn't happening, read a book, watch a movie,...just for a break!
And you are getting alot all at once, the sleep stuff will settle down when you get all the "first time" stuff over with.
Soon you'll be an old timer in the chemo chair, you'll learn to bring a book and a few graham crackers and ginger ale. ZOFRAN is the anti nausea, it's your friend, its great.
take care, kitty

{{{HUGS}}}
I also think that you are handling this with an amazing amount of grace. I know that many hospitals offer Reiki as a service for their patients undergoing chemo....it is a non-invasive enery healing that will help your body to stabilize the chemo and to help you be positive as you undergo this journey in your life.
Once your doctor approves it, you can also get Oncology massage which will help you detox the chemicals.
I will be praying for you....it will get better :)

Hi everyone its great to hear the constant encouragement. I hope this is not getting too long in the tooth and if the administrators think its gone to long let me know. I feel that you folks really do want to know what is happening so I keep posting. All of your PM's have been uplifting. Today Friday marks the first complete week of Radiation and Chemo. I am in much better spirits than my last post. Had a long talk with the Doc with me in a complete state of basket caseness. He prescribed some anti-depressent meds and I have been sleeping like a rock. We revisited initial ground but now have some more info in regards to the confirmation of primary site which he sees as positive as he states its a very small tumor. Knowing the site allows concentration of the Rads rather than treating a larger area in guesswork. This can be a bad form of cancer that can re-ocurr. He continues to state that he is treating with an intent to cure and is optimistic in that respect. He says we climb the mountain one step at a time as he leads and I follow. DW says she will push. The weekend is comming up and I hope to get to the rural farmhouse and relax some. Also have to contract with someone there to cut the grass the remainder of this year. Fellow will meet me there on Saturday. It seems that if you get cancer these things should stop. This week I had to unstop a drain and fight an infestation of carpenter ants. First time I got off my butt and felt like doing anything.

I have every hope that all this unpleasantness is soon over and that it leaves you in a better "place" than before it came. I feel rather funny praying for "Ratface" but I figure the Big Guy knows who you are!! LOL!!

I sure that you should have no worries Rattie about talking about your experience. I trust that it will help not only you but others of us who will be in your shoes someday.

Also have to contract with someone there to cut the grass the remainder of this year. Fellow will meet me there on Saturday. It seems that if you get cancer these things should stop. This week I had to unstop a drain and fight an infestation of carpenter ants. First time I got off my butt and felt like doing anything.

This is the stuff that can convince you that parts of your life are still normal!

Average, mundane, annoying aggravation can take your mind off the big, life-altering emergencies.

It's sad when drains and bugs are good for you, and restful in a perverse way, :LOL::cool::LOL:, but "been there, done that" for different kinds of problems.

ta,
mew

I am so glad that you got anti-depressants and that you can sleep!! :dance: Not only that, but you have made it through a full week of chemo and radiation, not a small accomplishment at all.

And yes, as Martha says your posts help not only you, but others who are reading your posts who either may be facing similar situations now, or may face them in the future.

"a complete state of basket caseness. "
Thanks for that fine descriptive phrase - I plan to steal it for future use. :LOL:

" It seems that if you get cancer these things should stop. This week I had to unstop a drain and fight an infestation of carpenter ants "

It does seem unfair. Those ants had some nerve.:mad:

Since you can make other people laugh, you must be feeling a little better!

Hang in there, guy, you're doing everything right, and we're with you!

Hope you had a good weekend and are feeling better. Wishing you all the best.

Ratface,

Hope you had a nice weekend at the farmhouse and the grass didn't grow three feet this week just for kicks. It might be in cahoots with the plumbing and the carpenter ants...

Do keep posting. We want to keep telling you what a great job you're doing. Hang in there!

The farmhouse lifts my spirits but it also diminshes them if you can understand the dichotemy of it all. This is where I planned to retire to a peaceful existence which is no longer possible for me. The man who will cut the grass showed up and did a wonderful job. I stood watching sort of depressed as I oddly enough really enjoyed taking care of my place. I contracted with him thru November to keep things tidy. Yet being there was good for me and the family. My daughter drove all the way, 2 1/2 hours and this is only her third time behind the wheel. She just got her permit and this was her mother's car. She did great on the interstate, thank god for the anti-depressents, every parent should be given a bottle of these with a new driving permit. I've been eating like a horse in anticipation of what is to come. The idea here is to put the calories on as much as possible. The right jaw bone is starting to hurt and I don't go very far now without a water bottle. Mouth is very dry. I was able to cut some brush with my tractor and do some general chores.

The farmhouse lifts my spirits...This is where I planned to retire to a peaceful existence which is no longer possible for me.
And why is that? You think peace will elude you for the rest of your life?

I would seriously doubt that. Get back to me in 6 months. Your spirit will heal just as will your disease.

Back
Top Bottom