Do you dream?

Do you dream?

• Yes, I dream.

Votes: 43 93.5%
  • No, I don't dream.

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

Alan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I really fancied creating my first poll but don't seem enabled to do so, or can't figure out how to do it :p.

Recently a bunch of us were chatting after work (bar of course), someone mentioned dreams, and a co-worker who is in her early 50's commented that she no longer dreams, and it has been about 10 years she used to dream and be able to remember some of them but always knew that she had been dreaming even if she couldn't remember any of them. And then it stopped. No trauma, No change in sleep pattern. No reason she can think of. It doesn't particularly bother her, but now whenever she wakes up she feels like she has never been dreaming - bit like waking out of a general anethestic - fall asleep then wake up with no idea of a passage of time.

How many folks are like this?

I added a poll for you - - hopefully it is as you had envisioned?

Anyway, I dream every night. Usually my dreams are about every day life. Sometimes, they are totally strange, unearthly, and amazing!

Everyone dreams. Many people, like me, rarely if ever remember the dreams but we still dream. As long as your sleeping long enough to enter REM sleep then you're dreaming.

I added a poll for you - - hopefully it is as you had envisioned?

Anyway, I dream every night. Usually my dreams are about every day life. Sometimes, they are totally strange, unearthly, and amazing!

Thanks for doing the poll for me.

Everyone dreams. Many people, like me, rarely if ever remember the dreams but we still dream. As long as your sleeping long enough to enter REM sleep then you're dreaming.

EXACTLY ;)

She is the first person I have ever met who says she feels no passage of time when she sleeps.

I have been under anthestic several times - well over 3 hrs when I had lower back surgery. Each time has been the same, talking to the staff then I've woken up with no feeling of passage of time. Does that mean you never achieve REM sleep under anethestic, or go under so fast that you never achieve REM sleep?

I didn't vote, because this describes me. It's not often that I remember dreams, but it does happen from time to time - and I assume I dream all the time but just don't remember most of the time.

I used to have/remember dreams almost every night as a child, went through a period of about 10 years where I didn't remember them at all, and now remember them rarely.

I had fabulous flying dreams when I was a kid. Usually they involved being in a windstorm on the school playground and running, becoming lighter on my feet until I flew. I remember those to this day.

Last night I dreamt that I was attending my college graduation, my parents were there, and for some reason I decided to step out of the ceremony to go swim in a river and talk to some older men building bridge-like things in a large field. When I got back to the ceremony I discovered that someone had taken my cap and gown and I had to wear an extra one that was the wrong color -- it was grey or blue instead of black. I also discovered that I had missed my name being called out and then wondered where my diploma was.

OK, you Freudians, go to town with that one.

2Cor521

Thanks for the article, it confirms that 2/3 of patients don't dream during anesthesia which is the point of my query. I'm wondering, in the limited audience of this forum, if other people are like my co-worker, who sleep and don't have any sensation that they ever dream. I'm sure if it was a problem for her she could have tests to see what is happening.

Find out if your friend takes sleeping pills. Obviously, if one takes sleeping pills there will be no dreaming.

During our 23 years of marriage, my ex claimed that he wasn't dreaming and had never dreamed. Yet, when he slept I saw evidence of dreaming - - he thrashed about, and even talked in his sleep.

Perhaps he was uncomfortable with confiding something as intimate as a dream.

Find out if your friend takes sleeping pills. Obviously, if one takes sleeping pills there will be no dreaming.

I'll ask her next week - interesting thought. I very much doubt she does because she said she just stopped dreaming and could think of no reason why that happened. She's a chemical engineer so I feel sure she would have linked those 2 occurrences, but you never know.

During our 23 years of marriage, my ex claimed that he wasn't dreaming and had never dreamed. Yet, when he slept I saw evidence of dreaming - - he thrashed about, and even talked in his sleep.

Perhaps he was uncomfortable with confiding something as intimate as a dream.

I don't think you need electrodes attached to the head to conclude that your X was dreaming with that sort of evidence. ;) If he was worried about confiding he could easily have said he couldn't remember, which many folks can't. (and there are techinques you can try to help you remember your dreams.)

May be not realizing that you have been dreaming is more common than I thought and it is simply a more thorough form of forgetting the dream, if that even makes sense.

I not only dream, but I can often remember (most) of my dreams. They are pretty vivid. I can especially remember worst and my best.

My worst dream: When I was four or five, I would constantly have the same nightmare. In the dream I would go in my parents room, and it would be pitch black, then something would streak out from under the bed and attack me. One night in particular, I felt a sharp pain right at the moment I got attacked...and woke up to find the family cat biting my hand.

My best dream: Another re-occurring one, I stopped being able to have it though as I neared adulthood. In the dream, I was mostly conscious, I could pretty much tell it was a dream. As such, I decided to have fun with it, it usually played out the same way. I would play around floating or flying through the air through different scenery until I woke up.

I usually remember my dreams 3-4 times a week. Of course, I write them all down which reinforces remembering my dreams.

I not only dream, but I can often remember (most) of my dreams. They are pretty vivid. I can especially remember worst and my best.

My worst dream: When I was four or five, I would constantly have the same nightmare. In the dream I would go in my parents room, and it would be pitch black, then something would streak out from under the bed and attack me. One night in particular, I felt a sharp pain right at the moment I got attacked...and woke up to find the family cat biting my hand.

My best dream: Another re-occurring one, I stopped being able to have it though as I neared adulthood. In the dream, I was mostly conscious, I could pretty much tell it was a dream. As such, I decided to have fun with it, it usually played out the same way. I would play around floating or flying through the air through different scenery until I woke up.

This sounds like me exactly.

Also, I commonly had dreams growing up of walking on the beach and being trapped by the incoming tide - I hated them, as we lived on the coast, 10 minutes walk away from the high cliffs, beaches and fast moving tides - the dreams were way too real for my liking. I also had a pretty complex adventure dream that I could regularly get into just by thinking about it before I fell asleep. I also remember being very disappointed once I lost that ability as it was an ongoing dream that I really enjoyed - a sort of Never Never Land that I could go and have adventures in.

I seem to have a need to tell people about my dreams, so that I will remember them. I have no idea why I would want to remember them! Most of my dreams are either stupid (like, dreaming that I was getting ready to go to work) or horrifying (like, dreaming that my daughter was only three and was run over by an 18-wheeler, and then morphed into me, and then ended up on another planet, and then OMG and then...:eek: ).

I am a lucid dreamer so usually in the latter type of dreams, I take control and make everything work out to be OK somehow (for example, I get wings and fly home, and hug my daughter and we all go out to dinner and live happily ever after), and then awaken myself. Sometimes I feel the need to experience the horror, though, and in that case I just let it take its course.

I dream almost every night. My most frequent dream is it is Christmas Eve and I totally forgot so I rushing around trying to get a tree and presents as the stores are closing . My second most common dream is I'm driving and fall of a cliff . Sometimes I dream in movie foremat where the credits roll by etc. Weird !!

I seem to have a need to tell people about my dreams, so that I will remember them. I have no idea why I would want to remember them! Most of my dreams are either stupid (like, dreaming that I was getting ready to go to work) or horrifying (like, dreaming that my daughter was only three and was run over by an 18-wheeler, and then morphed into me, and then ended up on another planet, and then OMG and then...:eek: ).

I am a lucid dreamer so usually in the latter type of dreams, I take control and make everything work out to be OK somehow (for example, I get wings and fly home, and hug my daughter and we all go out to dinner and live happily ever after), and then awaken myself. Sometimes I feel the need to experience the horror, though, and in that case I just let it take its course.

I have weird dreams (rarely since retired) where I was getting out of bed and getting ready for work and would realize I was still dreaming and would get up and go to work... repeat several times; also used to dream I had insomnia.

I still have dreams about not being able to find my car (any car, but often the MG I owned for 10+ years).

Last edited:
One of the craziest dreams I've ever had was when I was a kid. I was able to create an alligator by putting peanut brittle in water. :crazy:

I dream for sure!

My dreams can be really vivid and scary at times. But I dream and dream a lot.

I don't do any drugs either prescription or illegal and I do not smoke or drink either.

So it's just all done with my own brain.

I kind of wish I didn't dream so much sometimes though it can be disturbing at times.

Also if you dream a lot and your dreams are really wacko it can make you realize what your mind is capable of just doing on it's own.

So sometimes if I'm taking a walk late at night and think I see something up ahead I really think it through to make sure that it's really what I think I see.

Maybe that is why I doubt a lot of paranormal stuff....I realize my mind has a mind of it's own!

Jim

sleep deprivation will kill you even before starvation would. though perhaps counterintuitive to other evolutionary processes designed to keep you alive, sleep is more important than food.

animals sleep, seemingly defenselessly, even under threat of being eaten alive. humans fall asleep knowing that they will lose all sense of themselves--that they will, in effect, die every night--with the assumption that they might regain consciousness in the morning to continue living another day. all creatures sleep and likely all creatures dream.

dreaming is a constant which runs the gamut from those who know they dream while they dream to those who do not recall their dreams even once their body awakens. not remembering where you left your keys is not evidence that you have no keys.

Obviously, if one takes sleeping pills there will be no dreaming.

sorry, but that simply is neither obvious nor true.

I used to have/remember dreams almost every night as a child, went through a period of about 10 years where I didn't remember them at all, and now remember them rarely.

I had fabulous flying dreams when I was a kid. Usually they involved being in a windstorm on the school playground and running, becoming lighter on my feet until I flew. I remember those to this day.

Last night I dreamt that I was attending my college graduation, my parents were there, and for some reason I decided to step out of the ceremony to go swim in a river and talk to some older men building bridge-like things in a large field. When I got back to the ceremony I discovered that someone had taken my cap and gown and I had to wear an extra one that was the wrong color -- it was grey or blue instead of black. I also discovered that I had missed my name being called out and then wondered where my diploma was.

OK, you Freudians, go to town with that one.

freud has left the building. fortunately however, jung is available for a drink on the town.

dreams can be utilized for the brain to sort out & store details of the day, also they can act as portals to various aspects of mind, etc. your dream of college was of one such and your flying dream was another.

college graduation is transition. you left your parents there--what was established--like your old job in real life, for instance, and went to go for a swim to wash off your past. also swimming in the river is your fear of your future. building the bridge is the creation a good new job and a way to get there.

as to the colors in your dream, the black gown would have signified your expectation of bad times ahead which you strive to get out of your mind, outside of warning, not a whole lot constructive in that. both grey and blue signify optimism for better times. but of course you still fear missing the boat.

these are all quite natural thoughts to have during times of transition and nothing more than your brain sorting out the details of the day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom