Does anyone actually like whole wheat pasta?

It's an abomination.

Linguini in white clam sauce using whole wheat pasta truly is an abomination.

I'll never forget the lecture I had one time from a Naval Aviation Physiologist when on active duty. He was covering foods we should eat (and not, like cabbage just before a long flight) to maintain our health. At the end of the lecture he said that given the choice of having a Big Mac and a chocolate shake now and then and dieing 5 months earlier than if only eating WW bread and baked chicken, he'd go with the Big Mac any day! It's the only time I ever witnessed a lecture room of Aviators stand and cheer a "Doc"

I have been using whole wheat or multigrain pasta, and multigrain in pretty much anywhere else I can get it for several years now.

I'm a dinosaur when it comes to things like that.

Actually, I'm not keen on anything whole wheat, including bread. We have two different breads in the house, white for me and WW for DW.

I conceded to go from whole milk to 2% and now to 1% but that is as far as I'm going. I have no interest in "white water".

+1
I am with you pb4uski!
I do not like all of the foo-foo, supposedly good for me stuff (WW, low-fat, low-sugar etc.).
Do not like the WW pasta at all, in any form that I have had it so far.
Gimme a loaf of Wonder Bread, Miracle Whip, real bologna and 100% full fat processed cheese.
The only concession is that I have let my wife force me onto skim milk as you sometimes have to lose a battle to win the war!
:cool:

I really like WW pasta. DW does not. We eat white pasta.

We both like WW bread better than white. We generally eat WW unless We have houseguests who don't like WW.

We use a lot of whole wheat flour in other things as well, such as pancakes, cookies, etc. I grind my own WW flour.

Some years ago, we switched to 1% milk. Then we went to Japan, where we did not have that option. When I retired and we came back to the states, we went back to 1%, but it tasted too watery, so we went to 2%, and have found a brand we really like.

I even quit eating wheat bread because of the salt content.

You want to eat something nasty, eat Ezekiel's no salt bread.

DW insists on skim milk, but I agree it tastes like 'white water.' Surprisingly it has more sugar than X% milks, I tried to change DW 's mind on that basis, no sale. I had cereal with whole milk once last summer, of course it tasted like cream to me...sigh. The only good thing about skim, it doesn't spoil nearly as fast as X% milk.

Organic milk tastes noticeably better than 'regular milk' of the same % fat too. Worth the premium IMO.

We've been eating whole wheat pasta since DH became diabetic. Little pasta, lots of meat sauce, tossed salad, no garlic bread. We eat a lot of whole grains now - takes longer to digest and doesn't spike blood sugar as much. By trial and error we've learned a lot of tricks to keep the A1c low.
We both like the taste as well as regular pasta.

We tried WW pasta earlier this year with low expectations and were surprised to find how much we liked it... even the kids liked it! So that's about all we eat for pasta these days, unless we're having something unusual like a recipe with Japanese pan noodles.

From some of the comments here I guess I'm lucky that I gave up eating pasta about the time WW pasta started becoming common.

I actually do like it. I prefer it over white pasta. If it's undercooked it's gritty, so you have to get it just right al dente.

DW insists on skim milk, but I agree it tastes like 'white water.' Surprisingly it has more sugar than X% milks, I tried to change DW 's mind on that basis, no sale. I had cereal with whole milk once last summer, of course it tasted like cream to me...sigh. The only good thing about skim, it doesn't spoil nearly as fast as X% milk.

Organic milk tastes noticeably better than 'regular milk' of the same % fat too. Worth the premium IMO.
1% is pretty good.

I only drink organic. Mainly because it avoids the bovine growth hormones allowed in "regular" cattle. But yes, it does taste better.

My big problem with WW pasta and other WW products is that like white flour products, are made with pulverized flour that spikes insulin. In my case, that leads to weight gain and a certain lethargy about 45 minutes after eating. And worse than WW pasta is low-carb pasta. Absolutely awful.

Oh, when I eat pasta I cover it with a tomato sauce made with spicy Italian sausage (pork not chicken) and lots of garlic!

I like the more complex flavor of WW pasta.

I have found another way to get some whole grain into the diet. I have found that substituting rolled oats for 1/3 of the flour in a recipe is unobtrusive and rarely impairs the quality. One would think the rolled oats would coarsen the texture but it is not so. I have a bread machine recipe that I make regularly with 1/3 oats. (I load the machine in the evening and set it with a time delay. It is wonderful to wake to the smell of fresh baked bread.) I routinely put oats in pancakes, muffins, etc.

A substitution I make for flour when sauteeing is ground flax meal. I dredge veal leg scallopini slices or very thin chicken breast in the flax meal and sautee it in a mixture of olive oil and unsalted butter. After it is browned and cooked through, I squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and toss in a few capers. Very quick, easy and tasty even if it is not "traditional". I have done this with sole, too, with good results.

Being of Italian descent I have a one word reply: Yuck!

I'm not even Italian and I agree 100% with you. I'll force down a couple ounces of Metamucil and then eat the real Durham wheat pasta!! That's what I'm talkin' about!

I'm not even Italian and I agree 100% with you. I'll force down a couple ounces of Metamucil and then eat the real Durham wheat pasta!! That's what I'm talkin' about!
It is 100% real durum wheat pasta - it just doesn't have all the wheat bran and germ removed. In other words, it's less processed.

Always ww pasta and brown (or black or red...) rice and whole grain bread. The over-processed stuff is bland.

When I drink milk I buy from local dairy, minimally processed whole milk.

I'm okay with WW - if I didn't, I'd just put some extra cheese on the top or a bit more chilli in the sauce.

In our house we eat it per docs recommendation, but no one likes it as good as regular pasta. Now we mix it in ratio of 2 parts white to one part whole grain.

Back
Top Bottom