Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #161
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been toying with the idea of starting the diet. I logged on to their site and after filling out all of the information, they told me that I needed to lose 8#, and I shoud reach the goal in...mmm...a couple of months...or so. That's a lot of dieting for 8#. I admit, those #s are stuck on with super glue and are in places I'd love to be rid of...but only 8#?! I'm still thinking about it. DH just bought 2 cartons of yummy Blue Bell ice cream today. Sigh.

It is inspiring to hear about lowering BP and cholesterol...and the sauces. Thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by banister View Post
Has anyone noticed a health difference beyond weight loss? For example, my sneezing, itchy throat allergies are back. I noticed this link for the first time when I went back and forth with Atkins. It seems to be holding true for Dukan.
I've never had allergies but in the last few weeks I have been getting this weird itch/tickle throat thing that appears out of the blue. I have to quickly grab something to drink to calm my throat so I don't go into a coughing fit. As I write this, I realize this hasn't happened much this week. When it was happening, I did notice some post nasal drip so maybe that's the cause. I actually googled "dry cough, Dukan Diet" to see if others had reported the same thing.

Down 15 pounds. Sunday will be 9 weeks.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #163
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye

I've never had allergies but in the last few weeks I have been getting this weird itch/tickle throat thing that appears out of the blue. I have to quickly grab something to drink to calm my throat so I don't go into a coughing fit. As I write this, I realize this hasn't happened much this week. When it was happening, I did notice some post nasal drip so maybe that's the cause. I actually googled "dry cough, Dukan Diet" to see if others had reported the same thing.

Down 15 pounds. Sunday will be 9 weeks.
No effects here. Have to confess to taking a couple month hiatus from the diet. But I have maintained my loss, and plan to star up again nov 1.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #164

We've gotten slack a couple of times, and therefore aren't losing any more weight, but haven't gained back either. It runs hot and cold with us, but definitely works, even when we don't follow it every single day. No coughs here, either.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #165

Sunday, 10/30, was the end of my 9th week. Today the scale was good to me and I'm down a total of 16.8 pounds. I wrote on 10/28 (5 days ago) I was down 15 pounds so I dropped 1.6 pounds in the last 5 days. The good news is my jeans fit since it's getting chilly (low to mid 60's) around here.

About 10 more pounds to go. I'm hoping to lose that by the end of the year at the latest.

The crazy cough is gone and so are the landscapers who were trimming the palm trees in our complex for about 2 weeks straight.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye
Sunday, 10/30, was the end of my 9th week. Today the scale was good to me and I'm down a total of 16.8 pounds. I wrote on 10/28 (5 days ago) I was down 15 pounds so I dropped 1.6 pounds in the last 5 days. The good news is my jeans fit since it's getting chilly (low to mid 60's) around here.

About 10 more pounds to go. I'm hoping to lose that by the end of the year at the latest.

The crazy cough is gone and so are the landscapers who were trimming the palm trees in our complex for about 2 weeks straight.
Way to go Buckeye. Keep it up and you'll need a new wardrobe from Santa!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Way to go Buckeye. Keep it up and you'll need a new wardrobe from Santa!
I have been shopping in my closet and dresser drawers finding clothes that fit again. DH is working PT for Macy's during the holidays so his additional 20% discount plus losing weight will be a great excuse to do some shopping!

My best purchase lately has been Vera Wang bras at Kohl's. They are the most comfortable bra I have found in a long time including Victoria's Secret (which used to be my favorite). Less than $20 when on sale and with a coupon.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #168

11 weeks, 18 pounds. 9 more pounds to go.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #169
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Buckeye.

Ha
Old 11-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Congratulations Buckeye.

Ha
Thanks. I'm really hoping to hit my goal by the end of the year.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

The wife and I jumped on this diet two weeks ago because of this thread. Who'd a thought I'd get dieting info from a FIRE forum.

I did the attack for 10 days and lost about 7lbs. Just started phase 2 Saturday. Need to drop 15 lbs. more. Should be there by Jan 1. Then I've got like 3 1/2 months on phase 3, but atleast I can drink a bit of alcohol again.

Wife only needed to lose 5lbs. Lost 3lbs on 10 day attack. It's much harder to drop weight when you've got so little to lose.

We've been doing steak, sliced ham, turkey, non-fat dairy for the most part. Definitely prefer a protein heavy diet. Don't seem to get the strong hunger panges between meals.

GM
update
Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #172
Dryer sheet wannabe

update

We started the first of May this year and so far 43 lbs for me 35 lbs for DH. Not sticking really close but close enough! We really wanted to lose slowly this time and adjust eating habits for the long haul. Now I am planning on some maintenance work on face and body.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingie
We started the first of May this year and so far 43 lbs for me 35 lbs for DH. Not sticking really close but close enough! We really wanted to lose slowly this time and adjust eating habits for the long haul. Now I am planning on some maintenance work on face and body.
Nice job x 2. Long term is what it really is all about!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #174

12 weeks, 19.4 pounds, 8 lbs to go.

I know I will be keeping my grain intake low and my protein intake up after the diet is "over." My appetite, energy level, and mood (and body weight) are dramatically improved and it's downright amazing. I experience a lot less hunger than I did when not doing Dukan even though I am currently eating far fewer calories.

My doc is focused on the biochemistry of his patients and advocates an adequate protein (protein gms=bodyweight/2), low carb diet. He and an expert in environmental toxins gave a talk at our complex last weekend and he started by listing the typical daily diet of a woman. It was clear we don't eat nearly enough protein. I know it's true based on my pre-Dukan diet and looking at my husband's diet.

He says patients come to him doing all the fancy stuff like organic food, lots of fruit and veggies, vitamins and other supplements but they don't fulfill their body's basic requirement for protein to make sure they are healthy on a cellular level. He describes this misguided behavior as building a house on a wobbly foundation. After doing Dukan, I better understand what he has been advocating and realize I was falling into the wobbly foundation syndrome.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

When I looked into protein content, I actually found it hard to not meet a requirement about half of body weight in grams. I remember finding that unless I ate a _lot_ of fruit and dessert, my regular amounts of non-meats (vegetables, nuts, grains) would provide that much protein.

As an example:

3c. spinach = 124 cal. = 16g protein
2c. brown rice = 437 cal. = 9g protein
1c. black beans = 227 cal. = 15.5g protein
1/4c. peanuts = 207 cal. = 9.5g protein

This is about 1000 calories and 50g protein. I guess it is a bit borderline, but if you add in a very small amount of meat, you can easily make up for whatever protein-less calories you were eating that day.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
When I looked into protein content, I actually found it hard to not meet a requirement about half of body weight in grams. I remember finding that unless I ate a _lot_ of fruit and dessert, my regular amounts of non-meats (vegetables, nuts, grains) would provide that much protein.

As an example:

3c. spinach = 124 cal. = 16g protein
2c. brown rice = 437 cal. = 9g protein
1c. black beans = 227 cal. = 15.5g protein
1/4c. peanuts = 207 cal. = 9.5g protein

This is about 1000 calories and 50g protein. I guess it is a bit borderline, but if you add in a very small amount of meat, you can easily make up for whatever protein-less calories you were eating that day.
As far as I can tell, fresh spinach has about 1g protein per cup.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

I should have said boiled spinach. I'm used to regarding all vegetables as steamed or boiled.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #178

Down 20.7 lbs. Sunday was 13 weeks.

Another 6.7 lbs to go to my "optimal" weight from the charts and my Lifetime weight from Weightwatchers.

I hope to make my goal by the end of the year but it's going to be close.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

Down 15 lbs in 5 weeks. Got 6 lbs more to go. At this rate I might be able to have a phase 3 "celebration meal" right round XMas time.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #180

Down 23 pounds after 15 weeks. 4.4 pounds to go.

Doesn't look like I'm going to hit my goal by the end of the year but at least it's still coming off at the rate of about a pound a week. I expected the rate of loss to slow down as I approached my goal weight so I'm not discouraged.