eat loss on new eyeglasses

broadway

Full time employment: Posting here.
The new pair of eyeglasses that I bought three months ago and which I had them re-make twice --- so three sets of lenses --- which still don't feel quite right were said by my ophthalmologist's office's optician to have "some" distortion. The implication is that the lenses were not of high quality. The optician chose her words carefully.

Apparently, there are different brands of high-index lenses and these are not the best. I paid about $440 for them without insurance.

After all the frustration, I want to go to the place where I purchased my old pair and get the lenses remade there instead.

Part of me is thinking that it is waste of money and I should have them remade at the new place with different brand lenses if possible.
Part of me doesn't trust them.

Thoughts?

I have never had this happen before. My prescription is not simple.

I had just the same thing happen to me. I had 3 eye exams from 3 different MDs (getting expensive). 3 pair of glasses(all returned) from which I saw worse than my old ones. I give up. Will wear my old glasses for at least another year. I feel your pain.

No suggestion.
I once ordered cheap glasses online, cost about $12 for a simple prescription, they have a distortion, as they don't feel correct.
I just tossed them.

But you spent a lot of money, I think it does not matter the brand, all should be able to work correctly. Are you able to determine is it the left / right lens that is incorrect ?
Possibly out of 3 pairs now, there is 1 left and 1 right that are correct.

Sounds frustrating.
I got my last pair at Costco, cost about $300. Last pair prior at a name brand place were over $1000. I don't have an easy RX either. Happy with the Costco ones, have received many complements on them, too.

No suggestion.
But you spent a lot of money, I think it does not matter the brand, all should be able to work correctly. Are you able to determine is it the left / right lens that is incorrect ?
Possibly out of 3 pairs now, there is 1 left and 1 right that are correct.
I got the impression that the optician sees distortion is in both the left and right lens.

The problem for me is the combined vision when looking at a computer screen.

I had a pair of sunglasses remade 2 or 3 times. They had the lenses tilted in the frame and other issues. Keep pushing for what you want, but I do agree with the optician. There are different grades of lens and they make a big difference. For what its worth, AARP offers 30% discounts on eye exams and glasses, if you have a card.

I like to believe people do the best they can. I'd be thinking the people who did these lenses 3 times just aren't capable of getting them right. Vision is too important to keep futzing about and being chewed by frustration.

I also have a difficult time getting lenses. I finally started seeing an old school ophthalmologist (no fancy retina scanners and such) who only uses one optician in town because he has a good history with him. So I think it’s important to find the right combination of doctor and optician. However I have no idea how to actually find such a combination. My doc is close to retirement so I’ll be finding out soon I guess.

I had cataract surgery 5 years ago, so I no longer need distance vision correction. But I need readers for close-up work. I was VERY frustrated for two years dealing with multiple readers of various strengths. After discussing the situation at length with my optometrist, I purchased some very expensive Hoya progressive lenses on his recommendation. I wear them almost all the time and they are simply amazing! I adapted in no time at all.

There were cheaper progressive lenses available from them, and even cheaper ones online. But I noticed that the online places don't ask for all the parameters specified on my prescription... especially the ones that are specific to a pair of frames and have to be measured by a human being while you're wearing the frames.

I've been seeing the same optometrist for 15 years. We have a good rapport and I trust his judgement. He showed me the percentage of his patients that ultimately do not adapt well to each of the progressive lenses they sell and it was a very low percentage for the Hoya.

I have so many activities, like woodworking, reading music, smartphones, working at a PC, cooking, etc... that require very precise vision at close distances ranging from 12 to 36 inches. The higher-end Hoya progressive lenses are like a miracle for me compared to reading glasses.

I know that some people love the low cost and convenience of the online places. And I'm sure they work great for simple prescriptions. But for people with complicated prescriptions and complex vision-intensive activities, I think this is case where you get what you pay for. And it certainly helps to have an experienced optometrist who will take the time to get to know you, your vision needs, activities, and history.

Never noticed lens distortion, even with significant astigmatism and buying glasses online. But then my vision was never great in the first place, and I can truthfully say that I have never had a very good prescription or perfect glasses.

What REALLY helped, for me, was cataract surgery. Even though my vision still isn't perfect, that surgery made a huge difference. Be sure you get checked for cataracts now and then, and get them removed when you are told it is time to do that.

ZenniOptical.com is so fast and cost effective that I would suggest you at least contact them with your prescription and try them out.

https://www.zennioptical.com/

Do a search on Early-Returement.com for ZenniOptical and you will get links to threads that cover this issue. I was skeptical, and had resigned my annual budget to include about 600 dollars a year for my wife's glasses, but, I took the advice of the forum, contacted Zenni, and they walked me through the process. In the end, her glasses cost approximately 89 dollars.

There was a really great post on here not too long ago that explained how eyewear manufacturers will design frames for certain price points and use materials of varying quality to get them to certain price points. It made a lot of sense. It might seem to explain why my wife has to constantly have her low cost plastic Costco frames adjusted and I have yet to have my boutique wood frame glasses ever adjusted. Your results may vary, but generally you get what you pay for.

My eye doctor also does glasses so even though it’s more expensive I have mine made there.

I once sprung for Zeiss progressive lenses. They were awesome.

I should have typed it as Zei$$.

The pair of glasses I had before the ones I have now were never right. I had my eyes checked twice and had the lenses remade (at no cost to me). I just thought I was going blind. Late in the afternoon, I would only drive in my small town. I couldn't see road signs until I was very close to them. Had my eyes checked again for my current glasses and I have always seen fine with these glasses. Same doctor I have used for years.

If someone has had 3 shots at this I wouldn't give them another shot unless it was free. I would go somewhere else and just spend the money. Good vision is too important.

If someone has had 3 shots at this I wouldn't give them another shot unless it was free. I would go somewhere else and just spend the money. Good vision is too important.

I doubt I would get another free set of lenses for a fourth try anyway.
The two optometrist who own the office were already leery of the prescription saying that since they did not do the refraction, they can't be responsible for the eyeglasses.
For future reference, I am going to call them back and ask them which brand was used in my new pair saying that my ophthalmologist wants to know.

Everyone has a refund policy if they fail to meet their end of the bargain. Its called a credit card chargeback. I would allow them the opportunity to refund my money after 3 fails, and then I would go to my credit card. And find a better glasses shop

Have never had a problem with glasses from Costco optical, among a dozen or more pairs between three people. One of their optometrists was also the one who got our daughter to be able to wear contacts after two other optometrists couldn't.

When getting new glasses I was told to give them a chance, that my brain will take a while to sort things out with a new prescription. At first I thought these glasses were really bad. And then one day they weren't bad. They were the best glasses I've ever had. I think my brain had been correcting for the weak/wrong prescription for so long, it took a while to sort things out.

I'd recommend giving a new pair of glasses at least a week of constant use before determining that they are wrong for you in order for your brain to orient to them.
I've even read about a test where glasses inverted everything. The wearer perceived the world as upside down. Then one day, their brain adapts and everything is right side up. Until they take off the glasses. Then it's upside down!

ZenniOptical.com is so fast and cost effective that I would suggest you at least contact them with your prescription and try them out.

https://www.zennioptical.com/

Do a search on Early-Returement.com for ZenniOptical and you will get links to threads that cover this issue. I was skeptical, and had resigned my annual budget to include about 600 dollars a year for my wife's glasses, but, I took the advice of the forum, contacted Zenni, and they walked me through the process. In the end, her glasses cost approximately 89 dollars.

I buy mine from them and have had good luck too. For the price might be worth a shot for the OP to try.

I read most of the posts quickly, so I apologize if I missed this but:

Are the lenses in question glass or plastic? I can't tolerate plastic myself, and was told that there is a much higher incidence of impurities in plastic.

When getting new glasses I was told to give them a chance, that my brain will take a while to sort things out with a new prescription. At first I thought these glasses were really bad. And then one day they weren't bad. They were the best glasses I've ever had. I think my brain had been correcting for the weak/wrong prescription for so long, it took a while to sort things out.

I'd recommend giving a new pair of glasses at least a week of constant use before determining that they are wrong for you in order for your brain to orient to them.
I've even read about a test where glasses inverted everything. The wearer perceived the world as upside down. Then one day, their brain adapts and everything is right side up. Until they take off the glasses. Then it's upside down!

+1

What's interesting is that the image that hits our retina is inverted (upside down). The brain turns it right side up, along with all the other visual processing it does, like stitching together the the two images from both eyes, and filling in all the missing information that our eyes can't capture. It is believed that newborn babies actually see everything upside down for some period of time until their brains adapt. The experiment you mentioned showed that the whole process can be reversed again and, in time, the adult brain will adapt as well. Although I've also read that the experiment has been repeated many times with mixed results.

I also saw an article in the NYT that discussed brain training to improve presbyopia. The training does nothing for the eye or the muscles that control it, but rather improves the brain's perception of visual information, specifically smaller fonts and images.

All this just reinforces the idea that visual improvement is more than just improving the input with glasses or contacts. With time, the brain will adapt to whatever input it's getting. Especially with complicated progressive lenses, I think it's very important to: (1) use an experienced and reputable optometrist/optician and get the best quality lens for your needs; and (2) wear the glasses continuously for at least two weeks to give your brain time to adapt to the new information it's receiving. If you're still not happy after two weeks, then discuss it with the optometrist and optician together and let them come up with a plan to correct the situation.

At the shop I've used for years, after my eye exam, the optometrist and I walk out and meet with the optician. The three of us have a 5-10 minute conversation about what I need, what's changed from before, what lens options are available, pros and cons, etc. Once I pick out a frame, the optician does the measurements to ensure that the progressive components of the lens are correctly located. This cannot be done reliably with online suppliers since they just make an estimate.

This entire brain getting used to the glasses thing, is exactly why I tell the doc after he measures my astigmatism to NOT put the astigmatism on the prescription.

I take my glasses off in the house so my eyes are not used to the astigmatism correction, and I don't want them getting used to it, or I'll have trouble seeing without my glasses.

I did try a pair once with the astigmatism correction for 3 days, and after nearly falling down the stairs, I went back to get ones without the correction.

Back
Top Bottom