Eggs are now bad for you...AGAIN!

In our recent move to rural Alabama, we discovered two local families selling eggs from their farmyard hens at 2$/dozen. We bring our own recycled cartons.

So.... real food, locally sourced, minimal packaging, hens that we can SEE are roaming around, eating what chickens are supposed to eat and economical. Plus a way for us to get to know our neighbors.

That's a good life. Back to the old days when eating such food was the norm, not exception.

Odd anecdote:
When I was a teenager, a friend was told by his doctor to stop eating eggs because the albumin level in his blood was dangerously high. He was a big guy and typically ate at least a dozen eggs a day.

I have no idea whether the doctor's advice was appropriate, even for the time, but it was the only time I've ever heard of anything like that.

Personally, I've eaten about a dozen eggs a week for most of my life. No problems I'm aware of.

A dozen eggs a day? Was his name, Rocky? That' can't be healthy as too much of a good thing is often bad.

In our recent move to rural Alabama, we discovered two local families selling eggs from their farmyard hens at 2$/dozen. We bring our own recycled cartons.

So.... real food, locally sourced, minimal packaging, hens that we can SEE are roaming around, eating what chickens are supposed to eat and economical. Plus a way for us to get to know our neighbors.

When I was young, growing up in the Boston far out suburbs, we always bought our eggs from a local farm. Fresh, inexpensive, and yummy.

We would often by "pullet" eggs. They were smaller, from hens that just started laying. I remember asking my asking my dad why they called them that. My dad, a city boy, said "because the hens are so small they have to pull it out". Bad joke, but true story.

I think this study is flawed like that ramen noodles study several years back where the method of gathering information was asking on surveys peoples eating habits. Folks forget and embellish or just report incorrectly. Needless to say, I'm ain't afraid of no ramen noodles nor eggs :popcorn:.

Do crocodile moms sit on their eggs? If so, a tip of the hat to the crocodile egg collector :) I remember when we had laying hens that they were not too happy when I reached under them to get the eggs.

They may just catch the crocodile mom and eat it too.

See video below. Skip to 1:30 to see two boys chasing the crocodile from its nest to steal the eggs. They then bake the eggs in mud at 3:30.

They may just catch the crocodile mom and eat it too.

See video below. Skip to 1:30 to see two boys chasing the crocodile from its nest to steal the eggs. They then bake the eggs in mud at 3:30.

Wow, thank you for the video. Amazing! I wonder if anybody told those boys what a terrible thing they are doing to their health by eating those eggs! On second though I seriously doubt the research posted by the OP covered crocodile eggs. :D

Do crocodile moms sit on their eggs? If so, a tip of the hat to the crocodile egg collector :) I remember when we had laying hens that they were not too happy when I reached under them to get the eggs.

An alligator creates a nest mound with a lot of organic material that will compost, and thus keep the nest warm. The eggs are somewhat buried in this mound. The alligator does not sit on the nest, but it does stay nearby and guard the nest.

I don’t know if crocodiles are the same.

These animals are not warm blooded.

What I wonder is how crocodile egg hunters know if the eggs have developed into embryos? Or do they eat them anyway, just like balut?

shutterstock_291653948.jpg

Eggs over easy on waffles with bacon.

I learned a long time ago, if you dont like what you see just wait a while. It’ll change.

They are now also moving away from baby aspirin, of course. In favor of prescription drugs.

The best part of the study, truth be told, is not that eggs are good/bad for you, it's that it gives us a chance to commiserate how much we like eggs.

One cannot call himself an egg lover until he has an ostrich egg for breakfast.

The #1 reason we get bad info from the media is that they change "associated with" to "causes" (In the above case, "Three or more eggs a week increase your risk of heart disease").

Another reason is that they change "statistically significant" to "significant." A statistically significant result means that the result was unlikely to occur by chance. For example, it may be that a study finding a change in the chance of death from 1/1 million to 1.1/1million is statistically significant, but not significant in the real world.

Another example of how the media sensationalizes: Let's say that a study shows that eating x is associated with a rate of 2 deaths per million vs. 1 death per million for those who do not eat x. The media will report this as:

Eating X Doubles Your Chance of Death.

Found on scrolling on the page with the article...

Attachments

• egg 1.png
    egg 1.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 13
  • egg 2.png
    egg 2.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 98
Science replaced by scientism, BS touted as breakthroughs. I put this in the "55 saves lives" "reefer madness" "daylight savings time" noise bucket. My grandfather never saw 6th grade, but he called BS on the egg nazis year after year. No end of government studies.

Eggs

I have been eating 6 eggs a day with spinach every day for at least15 years (3 whole 3 egg whites)
And my yearly physical is always awesome. I’ll be 56 in June and I am not on any medication.. retirement at 571/2. Eggs are a nutritious food and I will continue to eat them everyday, if it’s not broke, don’t fix it!

:D:LOL:
Thank you, guys and gals, for such a WONDERFUL laugh. The page 2 of this thread was incredibly hilarious :facepalm::LOL:. I read and cried and hurt abs while laughing. My kids thought something bad happened.:angel::LOL: (p.s. just 2 weeks ago my grandma died at age of 90. They saw me crying then, so got concerned that something else sad happened).
BTW, my grandma raised chicken all her life until she wasn't able to. She ate eggs all her life too. I'll just keep eating eggs whenever I like them, I think.

You should pin this thread so people can go revisit and laugh again.

Carry on. I'll have to reread this again:popcorn::flowers:.

If dementia or Alzheimer's runs in your family (like mine), dying early might not be all bad.

Hi New here but had to state my opinion :) I have eggs almost all week I'm on weight watchers and eggs are 0 points ! guess I will die skinny with yoke on my face hahaha

Hi New here but had to state my opinion :) I have eggs almost all week I'm on weight watchers and eggs are 0 points ! guess I will die skinny with yoke on my face hahaha

Nice first post and welcome to our wonderful forum.

Back
Top Bottom