Eroded cartilage (Arthritis) but no stiffness and better in the a.m.?

Sunny

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm a bit confused. The last couple of years when doing more physical activities I've had to give them up because one of my knees swells and becomes painful, especially lateral movement. Happened again last week, but this time I don't want to give up the activity so I go to the doctor.

He manipulates my leg, says my knee is strong, but that as we age we get pockets of cartiledge that erodes away. During activity the body can create fluid to lubricate where the bone is rubbing because of this, hence swelling, pain, etc.

The problem I have with this is it sounds like he is describing arthritis and he mentioned arthritis at least once. When I google arthritis I find the top symptoms include stiffness, especially after rest or in the morning.

Well, I don't have stiffness, and my knee feels best when I first wake up!!!

I wish I would have known this before going so I could have asked him about it, but those of you with cartiledge missing or arthritis....was stiffness and/or worse in the morning always there?

my knees are quite bad in terms of cartilage loss, right one in particular. it is also more swollen relative to the left. There has never been stiffness, only pain and the occasional instability. Googling "arthritis" will get a list of symptoms not all of which pertain to any one specific joint. For example, i do have moderate osteo in my hands, with stiffness being the major symptom there, with pain or swelling only rarely. Aging aint for the faint of heart, and we all age differently and at different rates. Good luck. There have been a number of threads with advice on dealing with knee problems.

You don't say what kind of doctor you're under the care of. When it comes to knees, hips and other joints, find the best orthopaedic surgeon in your area. They cost the same as a bad doctor.

When the cartilage goes, it's replaced by bone spurs to maintain the spacing. And you've got arthritis. Sometimes it's slow progressing, and in my wife's case getting worse fast.

We were in the hospital outpatient clinic yesterday getting steroid injections for mid foot arthritis as she can barely wear shoes. And walking for her is getting more difficult with extreme foot pain.

Remember that there are a number of different procedures that can be done with knees. Eventually they may can do a partial knee replacement if required.

I'm fortunate not to have any bone or arthritis issues, but my wife's been having serious problems for the last 35 years. Good luck to you.

Sunny, there are different kinds of arthritis. It sounds like you have osteoarthritis which usually does feel better with rest. Steroid injections and artificial joint fluid injections will help and, of course, knee replacement becomes an option.

Bamaman, I got a huge amount of pain relief from midfoot arthritis by changing the way that I lace my shoes. Sounds stupid, but it worked and the price was right.

Bamaman, I got a huge amount of pain relief from midfoot arthritis by changing the way that I lace my shoes. Sounds stupid, but it worked and the price was right.

My podiatrist suggested the same thing when I previously mentioned some discomfort to him........lacing upwards rather than crosswise.

I haven't changed my method, but I haven't forgotten his suggestion either.

I'm hearing great things about stem cells for pain relief in knees, etc.

Someone I had lunch with the other day said their doc told them that within 5 years there will be very few knee replacement surgeries due to stem cell therapy to regenerate the cartilage loss.

Might be something worth investigating?

omni

I'm hearing great things about stem cells for pain relief in knees, etc.

Someone I had lunch with the other day said their doc told them that within 5 years there will be very few knee replacement surgeries due to stem cell therapy to regenerate the cartilage loss.

Might be something worth investigating?

omni

Hallelujah!! :dance::dance:

Mostly phase 1 and 2 stem cell trials right now. The last time I looked, there was only one newly started phase 3 trial. I talked to some people who are working in the research field not too long ago and they think that ten years is a more likely time frame.

Don't be fooled by people who are doing "stem cell transplants" now. It's a scam and potentially dangerous.

Mostly phase 1 and 2 stem cell trials right now. The last time I looked, there was only one newly started phase 3 trial. I talked to some people who are working in the research field not too long ago and they think that ten years is a more likely time frame.

Don't be fooled by people who are doing "stem cell transplants" now. It's a scam and potentially dangerous.

Three years ago we picked up a few RepliCel shares on the basis that we'll either ride them into the ground and take a minute capital loss on our taxes, or they'll take off and we'll clean up.......currently down about 86.4% on them......not at all unexpected. :LOL:

Thanks everyone. Not sure how I can go from only issues while doing more strenuous activity to almost overnight now pain most of the time, trouble going upstairs, even trouble in the chair at the computer since I have a habit of leaning back and letting my legs dangle a bit. But I'll keep plowing ahead.

And I've now found sites that describe osteoarthritis as my symptoms (Worse as the day goes along, best in the morning). Thanks for helping me confirm and get on the right track with learning about this.

No doubt about the morning pre knee job was a struggle with a stiff knee. It also happens still if I sit too long.

We've been off line on a transatlantic cruise to Europe--to let my wife's feet rest after a hectic March. She's been a trooper walking through airports, etc., and has been treating her foot pain with lydacaine lotion and Volteran Gel. We're now in Budapest in an apartment for a week so she can walk, or stay in during our time here..

When it comes to sore feet (and arthritis), the doctors will always schedule physical therapy, orthotic shoe inserts and a fixed bottom rocker shoe like Alegria (for women.) That's the only shoe my wife's ever going to have on her feet. Unfortunately, she just took a dive on the sidewalk due to a dip in the pavement. But she's okay.

Upon my return, we're going to look into investing in a first class hot tub to treat her arthritic body--for her health. The only treatment for her is a midfoot foot fusion which requires plates, pins and 7 weeks or longer without putting any weight on the foot. The healing time may be 6-8 months or even longer in some cases.
My wife says she actually feels better when she stays on her feet. Most pain is late nights when she's off her feet and in bed. Maybe minor amounts of activity is positive for many people if they can stand the pain.

Maybe minor amounts of activity is positive for many people if they can stand the pain.

I can relate to this, (although, from the sounds of it, my aches/pains are in no way comparable to your poor wife's), if you can just keep moving, it's better for your body and your psyche.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom