Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
"Not expected to change with age"?

Where did you get that idea? Age stops for no one.

I did lasik back in 1997 and yes it was awesome. But don't expect the 20/20 or 20/30 to last forever. Your eyes change no matter what and the eyes lense becomes less pliable, gets cataracts, changes shape etc. No stopping that. Now you did set back the clock perhaps many years doing the procedure so enjoy the younger vision correction now. I used to get new glasses almost every year when younger, after the lasik I went at least 5-7 years before I got glasses again.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
+1

DH had Lasik about seven years ago, approx $3,000 for both eyes. His eyesight improvement lasted about three years, at which point he once again needed corrective lenses, though to be sure, at a much lower correction level than before the surgery.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Question: Does everyone (if they live long enough) end up needing cataract surgery?

omni
DH saw the ophthalmologist (one of my all-time favorite doctors) on Tuesday and the Dr. said that no one 'needs' cataract surgery unless the cataract is negatively affecting your lifestyle to the point you feel that something needs to be done. We made the appointment for DH because, about a year ago, an optometrist commented he saw some clouding in one of DH eyes and recommended he get a cataract exam sometime in the next year.

We were treating cataracts as something to catch early but Dr. said that's not the case. How often do you have an eye surgeon discourage you from getting surgery? He said if your cataracts aren't causing you lifestyle issues, do nothing. The presence of cataracts is not a reason to have cataract surgery, in his opinion.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

We were treating cataracts as something to catch early but Dr. said that's not the case. How often do you have an eye surgeon discourage you from getting surgery? He said if your cataracts aren't causing you lifestyle issues, do nothing. The presence of cataracts is not a reason to have cataract surgery, in his opinion.
My doc said the same thing. I assume because all surgery has risk.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
How often do you have an eye surgeon discourage you from getting surgery? He said if your cataracts aren't causing you lifestyle issues, do nothing. The presence of cataracts is not a reason to have cataract surgery, in his opinion.
I visited three eye surgeons. One discouraged surgery, one said to do it now, the third said to do it when I was ready.

They all made it clear that I could wait, there was no compelling need to immediately remove the cataract. Of course, even a change in prescription wasn't enough to see better than 20/40 in my right eye. I wouldn't pass my next eye exam at the DMV, which happens in 2 years. Even with glasses everything was blurry in my right eye, and it was still progressing. So, yes, this might qualify as a lifestyle choice, but it was not a desire to replace the glasses, it was a desire to continue to drive at night and see a movie screen clearly.

My left eye, OTOH, is more of a financial choice. The deterioration isn't as bad, I could put it off for a couple of years. My out of pocket cost for the right eye however, will be over $4.5k, with ophthalmologist visits I've reached my $6k total OOP for the year, so the remaining eye will cost me nothing if I do it this year, vs $4-5k if I wait. A perverse incentive to be sure, but even the surgeon (the one that said to take my time) agreed.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Of course, even a change in prescription wasn't enough to see better than 20/40 in my right eye. I wouldn't pass my next eye exam at the DMV, which happens in 2 years. Even with glasses everything was blurry in my right eye, and it was still progressing.
I haven't taken an eye test at the DMV in decades. Do they accept monovision contacts? I see fine but each eye is different. If I used standard glasses I could correct for distance but could not read. I would hate to have to buy bifocals to pass the dumb test.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I haven't taken an eye test at the DMV in decades. Do they accept monovision contacts? I see fine but each eye is different. If I used standard glasses I could correct for distance but could not read. I would hate to have to buy bifocals to pass the dumb test.
In this state as long as you properly read the letters, they don't care which eye does the reading.

Imagine someone with a glass eye. Only one eye reads. My Aunt did have a glass eye and no DR. would remove her severe cataract in her only eye. I guess too much liability.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Some people have monocular vision caused by amblyopia, or "lazy eye." I have 2 relatives with lazy eye, and both drive just fine even though one eye is functionally blind. The condition develops in early childhood, and the bad eye still has peripheral vision, so they adapt. The only problem one relative ever had was that he couldn't hit a baseball.

Amethyst
Mono vision
Old 10-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Mono vision

To comment on an earlier post. I had LASIK style correction in 2008 and did one eye each for distance and reading and it worked brilliantly.

My reading is slipping with a developing astigmatism in one rye now, but that is new and I may do a tune up procedure as part of lifetime follow up rights from this high-end clinic.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #29

I'm one of the lucky ones who had 20/10 vision until my near vision slowly started to worsen through my 40s. Now mid-50s, I need glasses to read any normal size text and even have a bit of distance correction since I'm wearing glasses anyway. I didn't want to do anything to my eyes until I was retired due to possible risk and the fact that I had to wear glasses for splash protection at work anyway. Colleagues and friends who have had surgery have been happy but there have been a couple who have had repeat surgery. Interestingly, now that I am retired, glasses don't seem like such a bother so time will tell. Only time that I would like to be without them is playing sports and swimming (well I am without them when swimming but would be nice to be able to see more clearly!).
Old 10-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #30

I'll let you know if my eyesight changes but according to the doctor it is not supposed to for most people.

The reading vision, cataracts, whatever might happen but that is independent of the what they corrected (distance vision).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
I'm one of the lucky ones who had 20/10 vision until my near vision slowly started to worsen through my 40s. Now mid-50s, I need glasses to read any normal size text and even have a bit of distance correction since I'm wearing glasses anyway. I didn't want to do anything to my eyes until I was retired due to possible risk and the fact that I had to wear glasses for splash protection at work anyway. Colleagues and friends who have had surgery have been happy but there have been a couple who have had repeat surgery. Interestingly, now that I am retired, glasses don't seem like such a bother so time will tell. Only time that I would like to be without them is playing sports and swimming (well I am without them when swimming but would be nice to be able to see more clearly!).

I assume I am heading toward your path. If I went for arm extension surgery I could still read the paper without readers. Mid to Long distance sight is still perfect. I find my eye craving light to see anything close up. I can read a newspaper without readers if I'm willing to sit outside in bright sunshine. But if I need to work with a screwdriver or small tool inside I have to put the readers on the work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk