Eye Can See Clearly

I haven't taken an eye test at the DMV in decades. Do they accept monovision contacts? I see fine but each eye is different. If I used standard glasses I could correct for distance but could not read. I would hate to have to buy bifocals to pass the dumb test.

In this state as long as you properly read the letters, they don't care which eye does the reading.

Imagine someone with a glass eye. Only one eye reads. My Aunt did have a glass eye and no DR. would remove her severe cataract in her only eye. I guess too much liability.

Some people have monocular vision caused by amblyopia, or "lazy eye." I have 2 relatives with lazy eye, and both drive just fine even though one eye is functionally blind. The condition develops in early childhood, and the bad eye still has peripheral vision, so they adapt. The only problem one relative ever had was that he couldn't hit a baseball.

Amethyst

Mono vision

To comment on an earlier post. I had LASIK style correction in 2008 and did one eye each for distance and reading and it worked brilliantly.

My reading is slipping with a developing astigmatism in one rye now, but that is new and I may do a tune up procedure as part of lifetime follow up rights from this high-end clinic.

I'm one of the lucky ones who had 20/10 vision until my near vision slowly started to worsen through my 40s. Now mid-50s, I need glasses to read any normal size text and even have a bit of distance correction since I'm wearing glasses anyway. I didn't want to do anything to my eyes until I was retired due to possible risk and the fact that I had to wear glasses for splash protection at work anyway. Colleagues and friends who have had surgery have been happy but there have been a couple who have had repeat surgery. Interestingly, now that I am retired, glasses don't seem like such a bother so time will tell. Only time that I would like to be without them is playing sports and swimming (well I am without them when swimming but would be nice to be able to see more clearly!).

I'll let you know if my eyesight changes but according to the doctor it is not supposed to for most people.

The reading vision, cataracts, whatever might happen but that is independent of the what they corrected (distance vision).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm one of the lucky ones who had 20/10 vision until my near vision slowly started to worsen through my 40s. Now mid-50s, I need glasses to read any normal size text and even have a bit of distance correction since I'm wearing glasses anyway. I didn't want to do anything to my eyes until I was retired due to possible risk and the fact that I had to wear glasses for splash protection at work anyway. Colleagues and friends who have had surgery have been happy but there have been a couple who have had repeat surgery. Interestingly, now that I am retired, glasses don't seem like such a bother so time will tell. Only time that I would like to be without them is playing sports and swimming (well I am without them when swimming but would be nice to be able to see more clearly!).

I assume I am heading toward your path. If I went for arm extension surgery I could still read the paper without readers. Mid to Long distance sight is still perfect. I find my eye craving light to see anything close up. I can read a newspaper without readers if I'm willing to sit outside in bright sunshine. But if I need to work with a screwdriver or small tool inside I have to put the readers on the work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom