Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
Firsthand Obamacare experience
Old 10-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Firsthand Obamacare experience

I was recently forced to purchase an Obamacare insurance plan for the remainder of 2016. Here is some data.

I had the old plan for over 6 years. It was an individual plan with United Healthcare and covered myself and DW.

For 2016, the old plan cost $590 a month and had a $6000 deductible.

The Obamacare plan costs $760 a month and has a $9000 deductible.

I have prescriptions that I refill monthly. One of them has a retail cost of $96.00 each month. My old plan priced that prescription at $16.00 per month. Paid that amount for several years.

Obamacare's pricing is $80 per month. A 500 percent increase.

[Mod Edit]

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
Those are unfortunate cost increases. Can you share why you were forced to purchase an Obamacare plan?

Not that this will lesson the sting, but the healthcare prices at my megacorp are going up too. But, that has been going on for years and predates the ACA law.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Life change....

My original plan was a multistate plan and covered me in AZ and UT. I recently sold my AZ home. Since I originated this plan in AZ, I could keep it, nor could I transfer it to UT.

As for price increases, Bill Clinton recently described the problem pretty well. The Obamacare risk pools are very small (county based I think). These small pools have no pricing power. My prescription cost is a good example of this.

"But there is a group of people -- mostly small business owners and employees -- who make just a little too much money to qualify for Medicaid expansion or for the tax incentives who can't get affordable health insurance premiums in a lot of places. And the reason is they're not in big pools," Clinton said. "So they have no bargaining power."
Bill Clinton calls Obamacare 'the craziest thing in the world,' later tries to walk it back -
Old 10-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #4
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Closed Thread