Fitness for dummies?

Cruel to mention the Masters. I've been to about five of them. I'm overseas now, so I'll be watching on the tube on Armed Forces Network.

Augusta National is one hilly course, as you probably know. Television doesn't do it justice, does it. I recall after spending entire days (from sun up to sundown) walking Augusta National - the day after you would feel it in your calves.

I'm envious. Hopefully next year I can make it. Every year, I put in for practice rounds.

Do you go to the Masters frequently?

This is my 5th trip. Also for a practice round. Would love to go on a Thursday or Friday but a practice round is not bad. At least you get to take pictures those days. I always try to eat at Tbone's restaurant close to the course. Last time I was there I saw Darren Clarke and Lee Westwood. Old Darren stepped up right next to me at the bar and I bought him a cold beer. Good way to get to chat with him for a few minutes. :D

Below is a picture I took from my last trip. Care to guess who?

img_630775_0_57eaf36bd690bce434737e7d074c0b20.jpg

Don't really care about building up bulk. Looking to drop about 10 or 15 pounds, increase stamina, and generally get in better shape given the long term health risks of a sedentary lifestyle with lots of stress.

Definitely exercise and diet.

The easiest way get a little exercise is to eat a light lunch and walk about 30 minutes during your lunch period Monday-Friday. It is easy to work into your routine and doesn't take much discipline.

You would be surprised at what that simple approach can do for you.

If you eating habits are really bad, you may need a more formal approach to diet. Some of that will depend on you metabolism also.

Oh and I almost forgot. A couple of 12 oz curls... light beer of course.

Newguy wrote:
Seriously, get out and build up to jogging/running 6 days a week anywhere
from 30min to over 1 hour. Then do sets of push ups and sit ups, 10 to 20 at a clip rest and continue until you cannot do anymore. Sometimes its 300 sit ups and 100 push ups. sometimes more or less.

Newguy,

If I understood you correctly, you are not part of a health club. How do you keep your knees strong enough to be able to run so far?

Also, you mentioned that you do 300 sit ups. Specifically, what type of sit ups do you do? Do you do basic crunches or any other type of sit ups?

thanks,
George

Definitely exercise and diet.

The easiest way get a little exercise is to eat a light lunch and walk about 30 minutes during your lunch period Monday-Friday. It is easy to work into your routine and doesn't take much discipline.

Haaaaahahahahaha!!! "Lunch period!" Funny. Pull the other one: its got bells on.

I think an enforced sedentary daily routine is a big part of the problem, but I don't really have an alternative, barring unemployment.

Newguy wrote:
Seriously, get out and build up to jogging/running 6 days a week anywhere
from 30min to over 1 hour. Then do sets of push ups and sit ups, 10 to 20 at a clip rest and continue until you cannot do anymore. Sometimes its 300 sit ups and 100 push ups. sometimes more or less.

Newguy,

If I understood you correctly, you are not part of a health club. How do you keep your knees strong enough to be able to run so far?

Also, you mentioned that you do 300 sit ups. Specifically, what type of sit ups do you do? Do you do basic crunches or any other type of sit ups?

thanks,
George

Been running since 6th grade that is about 40 years now. Had more problems with injuries in High school and College running days. Maybe it was the 100 mile week runs in the 1970s that caused all the injuries back then , BUT maybe it strengthened everything since now in my 50s I have really no issues with pain or injuries. Now I am running the miles slower in the 8:30 range in most workouts so who knows. I will take 600 mg of the blue liqua gel advils after a long run and take an ice bath for the legs at times. Run EVERYDAY! I do not take days off weight is low, 175 at 6 feet tall so keeping weight off the joints as we age is also helpful. Sit ups are crunches do them in sets of 75 to 100, push ups in sets of 25 to 40. again everyday. Listen to your body. Workouts this past week were. 20 miles thursday
8 miles friday
10 miles sat
9 miles sun
7 miles mon
8 miles tue
Heading out now for 8 miles wed week ends today will be 70 miles of running this stretch. Many situps and push ups. I do teach physical education classes 3 days a week so I am active and on my feet mon tues and fri in addition coach a track team so again active in the late afternoon with my shot put and discus throwers.

Been running since 6th grade that is about 40 years now. Had more problems with injuries in High school and College running days. Maybe it was the 100 mile week runs in the 1970s that caused all the injuries back then , BUT maybe it strengthened everything since now in my 50s I have really no issues with pain or injuries. Now I am running the miles slower in the 8:30 range in most workouts so who knows. I will take 600 mg of the blue liqua gel advils after a long run and take an ice bath for the legs at times. Run EVERYDAY! I do not take days off weight is low, 175 at 6 feet tall so keeping weight off the joints as we age is also helpful. Sit ups are crunches do them in sets of 75 to 100, push ups in sets of 25 to 40. again everyday. Listen to your body. Workouts this past week were. 20 miles thursday
8 miles friday
10 miles sat
9 miles sun
7 miles mon
8 miles tue
Heading out now for 8 miles wed week ends today will be 70 miles of running this stretch. Many situps and push ups. I do teach physical education classes 3 days a week so I am active and on my feet mon tues and fri in addition coach a track team so again active in the late afternoon with my shot put and discus throwers.

God. That is unreal. I don't know how you do it. As stated previously, I walked a little over 4 miles yesterday and I am sore this morning. The length wasn't bad, but the hills did the damage. I walk everyday but this was just a tough hike. I'll try it again tomorrow.:)

BTW, how old are you NG? Thats a lot of running for your average retiree.

God. That is unreal. I don't know how you do it. As stated previously, I walked a little over 4 miles yesterday and I am sore this morning. The length wasn't bad, but the hills did the damage. I walk everyday but this was just a tough hike. I'll try it again tomorrow.:)

BTW, how old are you NG? Thats a lot of running for your average retiree.

Going to be 52 next week.

This is my 5th trip. Also for a practice round. Would love to go on a Thursday or Friday but a practice round is not bad. At least you get to take pictures those days. I always try to eat at Tbone's restaurant close to the course. Last time I was there I saw Darren Clarke and Lee Westwood. Old Darren stepped up right next to me at the bar and I bought him a cold beer. Good way to get to chat with him for a few minutes. :D

Below is a picture I took from my last trip. Care to guess who?

img_631206_0_57eaf36bd690bce434737e7d074c0b20.jpg
That's not Woody is it? :p

Haaaaahahahahaha!!! "Lunch period!" Funny. Pull the other one: its got bells on.

I think an enforced sedentary daily routine is a big part of the problem, but I don't really have an alternative, barring unemployment.

My sympathies. I have a similar enforced sedentary daily routine, but I do get half hour lunch breaks. Not having lunch breaks would be so awful and I know some people just don't get them, laws or no laws. I walked a mile and a quarter during lunch break yesterday, and a mile the day before.

Alone that amount of walking isn't enough to get me in shape, but it is enough that I feel less toxicly sedentary. To get in shape, I really have to go to the gym.

Although - - I am seriously thinking of letting loose of those purse strings that I have clutched so tightly lo these many years, and buying a treadmill. Maybe. We shall see. Can't do any harm, other than making me poorer.

Just back from a doing a 5 mile hike with my dog at a local park. Very nice trail around a lake with the trail winding through the woods. Up and down one hill after another. Tougher than I thought it would be. But good exercise. :)

God, I'm still sore. Climbing those hills tough on my little old legs. I must be getting old. :(

Time for a nap.

early on i would work out on machines next to people using trainers and gleaned advice from them. don't know if they work so early though.

you might find some pretty good info here: Muscle Building Forum
For the "golf bums" out there.

I was with my father when he made his first Eagle in his life. It was a par 3 hole, so he also made his first hole-in-1 at the same time.
He and I just stood there and looked at each other (me with admiration, him humbly accepting it), whilst my brother was jumping up/down screaming. :D

My sympathies. I have a similar enforced sedentary daily routine, but I do get half hour lunch breaks. Not having lunch breaks would be so awful and I know some people just don't get them, laws or no laws. I walked a mile and a quarter during lunch break yesterday, and a mile the day before.

Alone that amount of walking isn't enough to get me in shape, but it is enough that I feel less toxicly sedentary. To get in shape, I really have to go to the gym.

Although - - I am seriously thinking of letting loose of those purse strings that I have clutched so tightly lo these many years, and buying a treadmill. Maybe. We shall see. Can't do any harm, other than making me poorer.

I have always been fortunate enough to have had jobs with lunch breaks. I think it so good to walk away from your desk for a while, and preferably away fom the job site, whether for exercise or just to switch gears. '86 - '87 I was in a job where, every lunchtime, I left the site to a company management club, which was actually a castle, a mile from the office, and played snooker with 3 colleagues.

In more recent times I eventally bought a treadmill and used it very regularly for years until we downsized and moved into an apartment, and from that point on we have always used a gymn. Before splashing out on a treadmill, I recommend taking your time, do some research and try out several.

I have always been fortunate enough to have had jobs with lunch breaks. I think it so good to walk away from your desk for a while, and preferably away fom the job site, whether for exercise or just to switch gears. '86 - '87 I was in a job where, every lunchtime, I left the site to a company management club, which was actually a castle, a mile from the office, and played snooker with 3 colleagues.

In more recent times I eventally bought a treadmill and used it very regularly for years until we downsized and moved into an apartment, and from that point on we have always used a gymn. Before splashing out on a treadmill, I recommend taking your time, do some research and try out several.

That sounds like a good idea. Right now, I am trying to figure out where to put it. I measured the spot that I had in mind, and there isn't enough room there. I might have to sell some furniture, or at least figure out how to rearrange it in some better way. Once I have found a place for it, I will get busy on doing some research and test driving ("test walking"?) several. I do know that I need some cushioning, like the treadmills at my gym have, in order to avoid foot problems.

That sounds like a good idea. Right now, I am trying to figure out where to put it. I measured the spot that I had in mind, and there isn't enough room there. I might have to sell some furniture, or at least figure out how to rearrange it in some better way. Once I have found a place for it, I will get busy on doing some research and test driving ("test walking"?) several. I do know that I need some cushioning, like the treadmills at my gym have, in order to avoid foot problems.

They do take up a lot of real estate, and the one we had did have cushioning - I can see you are getting serious about this :)

Tomorrow we are planning to drive up to Natchez and cycle parts of the Natchez trace. We are always trying to mix things up a bit to add fun to exercise whenever we can.

They do take up a lot of real estate, and the one we had did have cushioning - I can see you are getting serious about this :)

Tomorrow we are planning to drive up to Natchez and cycle parts of the Natchez trace. We are always trying to mix things up a bit to add fun to exercise whenever we can.

It should be perfect weather for it! Have fun. :D

i finally realized that I needed to reward myself for exercising. Last year started to bicycle again. Goal was to do a century-reward- Ride Copper Canyon in Mexico. Managed to do both. Now this year a friend (I think) talked me into doing the Denver Post Ride the Rockies. So now every chance I get I have to go to spin classes in an attempt to jump start the bike season up here. Not sure what my reward will be if I survive. Al

Goal was to do a century-reward- Ride Copper Canyon in Mexico. Managed to do both.
Copper Canyon? I have heard about train rides there but not bikes. Is this mountain biking on trails in the area or is there a regular bike path running along the train route?

newguy wrote:
Sit ups are crunches do them in sets of 75 to 100,

New guy,

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you have a good program going.
I am curious. Do you have any thoughts on this article? It talks about the best ab exercises. Do you think there is still benefit doing the basic crunches eventhough it is ranked among the best?

Top 10 Most Effective Ab Exercises

Thanks in advance,
George

newguy wrote:
Sit ups are crunches do them in sets of 75 to 100,

New guy,

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you have a good program going.
I am curious. Do you have any thoughts on this article? It talks about the best ab exercises. Do you think there is still benefit doing the basic crunches eventhough it is ranked among the best?

Top 10 Most Effective Ab Exercises

Thanks in advance,
George

I like them all some I would do more of others less. bottom line to get abs hard and solid ya gotta EAT so much less!.

Weight reduction is really the only thing that will help them get firmer even with the exercises. It will benefit your back though, stronger abs help the back.

Re: Copper Canyon Biking is on the roads and some indian Foot Paths. I was in the Batopelias Canyon,with a group.(guided). Fantastic trip, wish I had been in better condition. Al

I was doing 20 crunches per day, but the Strength Training Past 50 suggests that for best muscle growth, the exercises should be done 2-3 times per week.

Back
Top Bottom