Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it is so important to be matched with a trainer you like and understand. I have had many trainers over the years, and the worst match for me has been young males. They seem to think when you say something is hurting that you are faking it and want you to push ahead regardless.

When I joined the YMCA in December I was fortunate enough to be matched with a female trainer of my age. She is great, doesn't believe age gives us limitations, unlike W2R's trainer she has given me a meaty weights program, I met with her last Friday and she has really amped it up.

I also agree with Cliff on the core training. A weak core is why so many elderly have trouble maintaining balance. That said my core strength is not great.

As for the running every day, why is it that most runners look totally miserable and if running is a chore rather than a labour of love? I am currently training to run a 5k fun run and really regret signing up for it as I feel totally bored the moment I get out there.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Insanity: is Portland as bike friendly as I have heard?
Absolutely. Seven or eight months of the year Portland is an amazing place to live if you love riding your bike. (The other few months it rains or gets freezing cold.) There are many hundreds of miles of bike trails, bike routes, and from downtown Portland you can bike to the coast in a day, up to a ski resort, into wine country, past world-famous waterfalls, or down to the river waterfront for a pint.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

My fitness for dummies would be a little different.
  • Have 4 kids that want you to run/play around with them
  • ride bicycles when you can
  • eat basically whatever you want (including chocolate)
Truth be told, I just saw my physician for the first time in 2 years, and he said based on the way I said I felt (aside from the dang sinous blocked up due to allergies), and my BMI being so low, that only 1 in 1,000,000 people in the US are like me (and he backed it up with ... cough, cough ... statistics).
Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Brew.

When you say better shape... what do you mean. Could you elaborate. For example trying to lose weight, bulk up, build stamina... or just want to be healthy and live longer (eg., keep cholesterol down and get exercise).
Don't really care about building up bulk. Looking to drop about 10 or 15 pounds, increase stamina, and generally get in better shape given the long term health risks of a sedentary lifestyle with lots of stress.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
As for the running every day, why is it that most runners look totally miserable and if running is a chore rather than a labour of love? I am currently training to run a 5k fun run and really regret signing up for it as I feel totally bored the moment I get out there.
Really? I just volunteered as a course monitor at a local 5K, so I saw everyone go by at about the 1/2 way point. Most people looked relatively happy. That may have in part been due to the fact that I was the only spectator in the last mile, and I was clapping for everyone and yelling encouragement.

I really like running. Sometimes I'm focused and may not look like I'm enjoying it, and sometimes things hurt and I probably do look miserable, but for the most part I like it.

I know some people don't like it, and are only doing it for the exercise. I'd recommend trying to find some other exercise they'd enjoy more. You'll stick with it longer.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

And also, I had always wanted to run a marathon but by my late 30s I figured I was too old. Then when I moved to Austin I volunteered to help at the finish line. I expected to see a bunch of people dragging in, on the verge of collapse, etc. Instead, 90% of the people were happy, celebrating, finished strong, and so on. Maybe 10% looked miserable.

Those 90% convinced me to go out and run a marathon, because a lot of them were older than me and looked less fit.

Maybe you're talking about just seeing runners during the week. For a lot of people, running with a group seems to make them happier than running alone. I tend to run mostly alone because of my schedule, but enjoy an occasional group run.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Only been doing this for a few months, but I much prefer running to weights, stationary bike, etc. Can't do that much before thinsg start hurting, but I like it.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Just back from a doing a 5 mile hike with my dog at a local park. Very nice trail around a lake with the trail winding through the woods. Up and down one hill after another. Tougher than I thought it would be. But good exercise. Will help get me in shape for my Master's golf trip next month.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

When the weather is decent, I like hiking with the dogs, too. But they are now 13 and 11 years old, so when I do more than a couple miles with them its really too much. The fact that they are short (13 inch beagles) makes that much distance a really long hike in relative terms.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Just back from a doing a 5 mile hike with my dog at a local park. Very nice trail around a lake with the trail winding through the woods. Up and down one hill after another. Tougher than I thought it would be. But good exercise. Will help get me in shape for my Master's golf trip next month.
Cruel to mention the Masters. I've been to about five of them. I'm overseas now, so I'll be watching on the tube on Armed Forces Network.

Augusta National is one hilly course, as you probably know. Television doesn't do it justice, does it. I recall after spending entire days (from sun up to sundown) walking Augusta National - the day after you would feel it in your calves.

I'm envious. Hopefully next year I can make it. Every year, I put in for practice rounds.

Do you go to the Masters frequently?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Cruel to mention the Masters. I've been to about five of them. I'm overseas now, so I'll be watching on the tube on Armed Forces Network.

Augusta National is one hilly course, as you probably know. Television doesn't do it justice, does it. I recall after spending entire days (from sun up to sundown) walking Augusta National - the day after you would feel it in your calves.

I'm envious. Hopefully next year I can make it. Every year, I put in for practice rounds.

Do you go to the Masters frequently?
This is my 5th trip. Also for a practice round. Would love to go on a Thursday or Friday but a practice round is not bad. At least you get to take pictures those days. I always try to eat at Tbone's restaurant close to the course. Last time I was there I saw Darren Clarke and Lee Westwood. Old Darren stepped up right next to me at the bar and I bought him a cold beer. Good way to get to chat with him for a few minutes.

Below is a picture I took from my last trip. Care to guess who?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Don't really care about building up bulk. Looking to drop about 10 or 15 pounds, increase stamina, and generally get in better shape given the long term health risks of a sedentary lifestyle with lots of stress.
Definitely exercise and diet.

The easiest way get a little exercise is to eat a light lunch and walk about 30 minutes during your lunch period Monday-Friday. It is easy to work into your routine and doesn't take much discipline.

You would be surprised at what that simple approach can do for you.

If you eating habits are really bad, you may need a more formal approach to diet. Some of that will depend on you metabolism also.

Oh and I almost forgot. A couple of 12 oz curls... light beer of course.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Newguy wrote:
Seriously, get out and build up to jogging/running 6 days a week anywhere
from 30min to over 1 hour. Then do sets of push ups and sit ups, 10 to 20 at a clip rest and continue until you cannot do anymore. Sometimes its 300 sit ups and 100 push ups. sometimes more or less.

Newguy,

If I understood you correctly, you are not part of a health club. How do you keep your knees strong enough to be able to run so far?

Also, you mentioned that you do 300 sit ups. Specifically, what type of sit ups do you do? Do you do basic crunches or any other type of sit ups?

thanks,
George
Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Definitely exercise and diet.

The easiest way get a little exercise is to eat a light lunch and walk about 30 minutes during your lunch period Monday-Friday. It is easy to work into your routine and doesn't take much discipline.

Haaaaahahahahaha!!! "Lunch period!" Funny. Pull the other one: its got bells on.

I think an enforced sedentary daily routine is a big part of the problem, but I don't really have an alternative, barring unemployment.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-19-2008, 08:09 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by george76 View Post
Newguy wrote:
Seriously, get out and build up to jogging/running 6 days a week anywhere
from 30min to over 1 hour. Then do sets of push ups and sit ups, 10 to 20 at a clip rest and continue until you cannot do anymore. Sometimes its 300 sit ups and 100 push ups. sometimes more or less.

Newguy,

If I understood you correctly, you are not part of a health club. How do you keep your knees strong enough to be able to run so far?

Also, you mentioned that you do 300 sit ups. Specifically, what type of sit ups do you do? Do you do basic crunches or any other type of sit ups?

thanks,
George
Been running since 6th grade that is about 40 years now. Had more problems with injuries in High school and College running days. Maybe it was the 100 mile week runs in the 1970s that caused all the injuries back then , BUT maybe it strengthened everything since now in my 50s I have really no issues with pain or injuries. Now I am running the miles slower in the 8:30 range in most workouts so who knows. I will take 600 mg of the blue liqua gel advils after a long run and take an ice bath for the legs at times. Run EVERYDAY! I do not take days off weight is low, 175 at 6 feet tall so keeping weight off the joints as we age is also helpful. Sit ups are crunches do them in sets of 75 to 100, push ups in sets of 25 to 40. again everyday. Listen to your body. Workouts this past week were. 20 miles thursday
8 miles friday
10 miles sat
9 miles sun
7 miles mon
8 miles tue
Heading out now for 8 miles wed week ends today will be 70 miles of running this stretch. Many situps and push ups. I do teach physical education classes 3 days a week so I am active and on my feet mon tues and fri in addition coach a track team so again active in the late afternoon with my shot put and discus throwers.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Been running since 6th grade that is about 40 years now. Had more problems with injuries in High school and College running days. Maybe it was the 100 mile week runs in the 1970s that caused all the injuries back then , BUT maybe it strengthened everything since now in my 50s I have really no issues with pain or injuries. Now I am running the miles slower in the 8:30 range in most workouts so who knows. I will take 600 mg of the blue liqua gel advils after a long run and take an ice bath for the legs at times. Run EVERYDAY! I do not take days off weight is low, 175 at 6 feet tall so keeping weight off the joints as we age is also helpful. Sit ups are crunches do them in sets of 75 to 100, push ups in sets of 25 to 40. again everyday. Listen to your body. Workouts this past week were. 20 miles thursday
8 miles friday
10 miles sat
9 miles sun
7 miles mon
8 miles tue
Heading out now for 8 miles wed week ends today will be 70 miles of running this stretch. Many situps and push ups. I do teach physical education classes 3 days a week so I am active and on my feet mon tues and fri in addition coach a track team so again active in the late afternoon with my shot put and discus throwers.
God. That is unreal. I don't know how you do it. As stated previously, I walked a little over 4 miles yesterday and I am sore this morning. The length wasn't bad, but the hills did the damage. I walk everyday but this was just a tough hike. I'll try it again tomorrow.

BTW, how old are you NG? Thats a lot of running for your average retiree.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #57

Quote:
God. That is unreal. I don't know how you do it. As stated previously, I walked a little over 4 miles yesterday and I am sore this morning. The length wasn't bad, but the hills did the damage. I walk everyday but this was just a tough hike. I'll try it again tomorrow.

BTW, how old are you NG? Thats a lot of running for your average retiree.
Going to be 52 next week.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This is my 5th trip. Also for a practice round. Would love to go on a Thursday or Friday but a practice round is not bad. At least you get to take pictures those days. I always try to eat at Tbone's restaurant close to the course. Last time I was there I saw Darren Clarke and Lee Westwood. Old Darren stepped up right next to me at the bar and I bought him a cold beer. Good way to get to chat with him for a few minutes.

Below is a picture I took from my last trip. Care to guess who?

That's not Woody is it?
Old 03-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Haaaaahahahahaha!!! "Lunch period!" Funny. Pull the other one: its got bells on.

I think an enforced sedentary daily routine is a big part of the problem, but I don't really have an alternative, barring unemployment.
My sympathies. I have a similar enforced sedentary daily routine, but I do get half hour lunch breaks. Not having lunch breaks would be so awful and I know some people just don't get them, laws or no laws. I walked a mile and a quarter during lunch break yesterday, and a mile the day before.

Alone that amount of walking isn't enough to get me in shape, but it is enough that I feel less toxicly sedentary. To get in shape, I really have to go to the gym.

Although - - I am seriously thinking of letting loose of those purse strings that I have clutched so tightly lo these many years, and buying a treadmill. Maybe. We shall see. Can't do any harm, other than making me poorer.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just back from a doing a 5 mile hike with my dog at a local park. Very nice trail around a lake with the trail winding through the woods. Up and down one hill after another. Tougher than I thought it would be. But good exercise.
God, I'm still sore. Climbing those hills tough on my little old legs. I must be getting old.

Time for a nap.