Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
early on i would work out on machines next to people using trainers and gleaned advice from them. don't know if they work so early though.

you might find some pretty good info here: Muscle Building Forum
For the "golf bums" out there.

I was with my father when he made his first Eagle in his life. It was a par 3 hole, so he also made his first hole-in-1 at the same time.
He and I just stood there and looked at each other (me with admiration, him humbly accepting it), whilst my brother was jumping up/down screaming.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
My sympathies. I have a similar enforced sedentary daily routine, but I do get half hour lunch breaks. Not having lunch breaks would be so awful and I know some people just don't get them, laws or no laws. I walked a mile and a quarter during lunch break yesterday, and a mile the day before.

Alone that amount of walking isn't enough to get me in shape, but it is enough that I feel less toxicly sedentary. To get in shape, I really have to go to the gym.

Although - - I am seriously thinking of letting loose of those purse strings that I have clutched so tightly lo these many years, and buying a treadmill. Maybe. We shall see. Can't do any harm, other than making me poorer.
I have always been fortunate enough to have had jobs with lunch breaks. I think it so good to walk away from your desk for a while, and preferably away fom the job site, whether for exercise or just to switch gears. '86 - '87 I was in a job where, every lunchtime, I left the site to a company management club, which was actually a castle, a mile from the office, and played snooker with 3 colleagues.

In more recent times I eventally bought a treadmill and used it very regularly for years until we downsized and moved into an apartment, and from that point on we have always used a gymn. Before splashing out on a treadmill, I recommend taking your time, do some research and try out several.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #63
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I have always been fortunate enough to have had jobs with lunch breaks. I think it so good to walk away from your desk for a while, and preferably away fom the job site, whether for exercise or just to switch gears. '86 - '87 I was in a job where, every lunchtime, I left the site to a company management club, which was actually a castle, a mile from the office, and played snooker with 3 colleagues.

In more recent times I eventally bought a treadmill and used it very regularly for years until we downsized and moved into an apartment, and from that point on we have always used a gymn. Before splashing out on a treadmill, I recommend taking your time, do some research and try out several.
That sounds like a good idea. Right now, I am trying to figure out where to put it. I measured the spot that I had in mind, and there isn't enough room there. I might have to sell some furniture, or at least figure out how to rearrange it in some better way. Once I have found a place for it, I will get busy on doing some research and test driving ("test walking"?) several. I do know that I need some cushioning, like the treadmills at my gym have, in order to avoid foot problems.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
That sounds like a good idea. Right now, I am trying to figure out where to put it. I measured the spot that I had in mind, and there isn't enough room there. I might have to sell some furniture, or at least figure out how to rearrange it in some better way. Once I have found a place for it, I will get busy on doing some research and test driving ("test walking"?) several. I do know that I need some cushioning, like the treadmills at my gym have, in order to avoid foot problems.

They do take up a lot of real estate, and the one we had did have cushioning - I can see you are getting serious about this

Tomorrow we are planning to drive up to Natchez and cycle parts of the Natchez trace. We are always trying to mix things up a bit to add fun to exercise whenever we can.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
They do take up a lot of real estate, and the one we had did have cushioning - I can see you are getting serious about this

Tomorrow we are planning to drive up to Natchez and cycle parts of the Natchez trace. We are always trying to mix things up a bit to add fun to exercise whenever we can.
It should be perfect weather for it! Have fun.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

i finally realized that I needed to reward myself for exercising. Last year started to bicycle again. Goal was to do a century-reward- Ride Copper Canyon in Mexico. Managed to do both. Now this year a friend (I think) talked me into doing the Denver Post Ride the Rockies. So now every chance I get I have to go to spin classes in an attempt to jump start the bike season up here. Not sure what my reward will be if I survive. Al
Old 03-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
13 inch beagles
Old 03-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thMed View Post
Goal was to do a century-reward- Ride Copper Canyon in Mexico. Managed to do both.
Copper Canyon? I have heard about train rides there but not bikes. Is this mountain biking on trails in the area or is there a regular bike path running along the train route?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

newguy wrote:
Sit ups are crunches do them in sets of 75 to 100,

New guy,

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you have a good program going.
I am curious. Do you have any thoughts on this article? It talks about the best ab exercises. Do you think there is still benefit doing the basic crunches eventhough it is ranked among the best?

Top 10 Most Effective Ab Exercises

Thanks in advance,
George
Old 03-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by george76 View Post
newguy wrote:
Sit ups are crunches do them in sets of 75 to 100,

New guy,

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you have a good program going.
I am curious. Do you have any thoughts on this article? It talks about the best ab exercises. Do you think there is still benefit doing the basic crunches eventhough it is ranked among the best?

Top 10 Most Effective Ab Exercises

Thanks in advance,
George
I like them all some I would do more of others less. bottom line to get abs hard and solid ya gotta EAT so much less!.

Weight reduction is really the only thing that will help them get firmer even with the exercises. It will benefit your back though, stronger abs help the back.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Copper Canyon Biking is on the roads and some indian Foot Paths. I was in the Batopelias Canyon,with a group.(guided). Fantastic trip, wish I had been in better condition. Al
Old 03-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I was doing 20 crunches per day, but the Strength Training Past 50 suggests that for best muscle growth, the exercises should be done 2-3 times per week.