Fitness for dummies?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I joined a gym at the start of the yer and am now going 5 days a week (although getting up 4:45 AM to do so is less than wonderful). Realized today that I really don't know much about this, especially what I should/shouls not be doing as I try to get in better shape. Anyone have a good resource for this sort of thing? I am looking for basic, medically-approved info rather than someone's program or patented system/idea (not the fitness equipment of "buckets").

I joined a gym at the start of the yer and am now going 5 days a week (although getting up 4:45 AM to do so is less than wonderful). Realized today that I really don't know much about this, especially what I should/shouls not be doing as I try to get in better shape. Anyone have a good resource for this sort of thing? I am looking for basic, medically-approved info rather than someone's program or patented system/idea (not the fitness equipment of "buckets").

I don't have a link/resource for you. Be sure to include some research on doing a warm-up beforehand, and cool-down afterwards, and including plenty of stretching after each (your gym probably has stretching stations). I think these are medically approved and stretching is said to help greatly in preventing injuries.

Edited to add: Oh wait, I DO have a resource, though I have never read it:
Amazon.com: Fitness For Dummies: Suzanne Schlosberg,Liz Neporent: Books

Last edited:
I read Younger Next Year based on recommendations here and it convinced me to add structured aerobics to my routine. Get it out of the library. The short version is aerobics (bike, eliptical trainer, etc) 40 min * 4 days a week + weights at least 2 x week. Your gym can give you a standard weight routine. Diet is important but pales in comparison to the benefits of exercise.

Having you considered hiring a personal trainer for an hour or two to map out a plan for you, and to show you how to do all of the exercises and use the machines correctly?

Trainer isn't a bad idea, but I don't have the time and I already know how to use the machines.

Have to do some reading...

It's simple really. Do the same amount of reps for each part of your body until it hurts...just a little. Then pick up the pace slowly and add a little more to your weights.

resource....bbbamI

It depends so much on which activities you prefer to do.

If you like to run, I can recommend The Lory of Running by Tim Noakes. It is not "for dummies" (ie - short) but it is authoritative and comprehensive.

early on i would work out on machines next to people using trainers and gleaned advice from them. don't know if they work so early though.

you might find some pretty good info here: Muscle Building Forum

Depends in part on what you're trying to accomplish, weight loss, muscle mass, general fitness, etc. I'd recommend Body for Life by Bill Phillips, you should be able to find it at your library. It covers exercise and nutrition, but you don't have to adhere to both. The older you are, the more important warmup and cooldown are. Whatever your fitness level, you have to work up to the next level gradually and continue step by step.

Many gyms will give you at least one free session with a trainer - so you might as well use it if they offer it.

Other than that i only have what my fitness obsessed sister/trainer says. Do a cardio warm up - like 5-10 minutes easy on a bike/tread/elliptic of your choice - don't push it, just get warm. Stretch a little and do your weights. You can do "pushing" exercises one day, next day do "pulling" so you get both parts of your muscle worked out. Save 20+ minutes of harder cardio to the end when you can burn the remaining fuel. stretch, mop yourself off and go home!

good luck and good for you!

I think it would probably be worth your while getting a trainer to set up a program for you. They can tell you what machines, weights, reps etc. you need to do on specific machines to reach your goals. I started at the YMCA in Dec and had a program done and I have made great strides. I am getting the program revised this week to update it. Best success I have ever had.

Seriously, get out and build up to jogging/running 6 days a week anywhere from 30min to over 1 hour. Then do sets of push ups and sit ups, 10 to 20 at a clip rest and continue until you cannot do anymore. Sometimes its 300 sit ups and 100 push ups. sometimes more or less. But If IF you can keep at it and motivated you do not have to spend one second in a health club.

You can do "pushing" exercises one day, next day do "pulling" so you get both parts of your muscle worked out./QUOTE]

I do the "push" and "pull" exercises on alternating days also. With 45 minutes of daily cardio. Got the push-pull advice from a die-hard fitness nut about 20 years ago, and it seems to work.

Push up and sit ups do work. Ever see those guys in prison how they work out in those cells. :D

I wrote a book, available for download, that is a bit on the introductory side of fitness and nutrition.

Never Diet Again: How to Lose Weight, Increase Your Metabolism, and Feel Great in 90 Days eBook

I also am adding nutrition and fitness tips to my blog on a regular basis

Bay Body Works Blog BayBodyWorks

I am working on getting my personal training cert, and while I feel like I know a lot about it, I am constantly learning.

The most important thing is to never sacrifice form when exercising; one injury can set you back years.

Amy

The most important thing is to never sacrifice form when exercising; one injury can set you back years.

Amy

Over doing things is a very common mistake for people first starting on a training program. (been there, done that :duh:)

As the authors of Younger Next Year say - the target is "younger next year", not "younger tomorrow"

Seriously, get out and build up to jogging/running 6 days a week anywhere from 30min to over 1 hour. Then do sets of push ups and sit ups, 10 to 20 at a clip rest and continue until you cannot do anymore. Sometimes its 300 sit ups and 100 push ups. sometimes more or less. But If IF you can keep at it and motivated you do not have to spend one second in a health club.

This is outstanding advice. No need for costly memberships.

Over doing things is a very common mistake for people first starting on a training program. (been there, done that :duh:)

As the authors of Younger Next Year say - the target is "younger next year", not "younger tomorrow"

Over doing... Ohmy. I ran 20 miles yesterday and just ran 3 miles in 25 mins just before heading out to work today. Legs feel get this GREAT!! I did get 8 hours of sleep last night and 600 mgs of Advil!

I would second? third? the recommendation to have a personal trainer help you. The books would be great reading for the background information, but they normally do not set up a routine specifically for your body type and goals, where a personal trainer should talk to you and get an idea what you are trying to do before setting up a plan for you. The books would be of great help after you have already set up a plan and need to vary your workout to maintain interest. The books would work, but you'll have a longer trial and error period until you figure out what your body responds to the best.

I would second? third? the recommendation to have a personal trainer help you. The books would be great reading for the background information, but they normally do not set up a routine specifically for your body type and goals, where a personal trainer should talk to you and get an idea what you are trying to do before setting up a plan for you. The books would be of great help after you have already set up a plan and need to vary your workout to maintain interest. The books would work, but you'll have a longer trial and error period until you figure out what your body responds to the best.

I got one free session with a personal trainer with my gym contract. In my case, I am just looking for overall improvement in fitness and activity level. I didn't really end up incorporating much of what he told me to do at all, probably because of a combination of obstinence and not being too impressed.

It is important to me to do what is FUN for me, which in my case would be a lot of work on the weight machines. That is what gets me there. Just GOING to the gym is so much more important to my health than what I do there. Once I'm there, I will do a little cardio (which I do not really enjoy as much), just to do it.

My workout: I need a lot of variety in my workout to enjoy it. So, I generally start by walking 1/2 mile on the indoor track to warm up, do 10 specific stretches at the stretching station, then walk 1/4 mile on the treadmill. Then I do 2 sets of 10 reps on 17-20 weight machines, which I get a huge kick out of and actually enjoy a whole lot. I love the fact that almost every week, I can increase the weight by five pounds on at least one of those machines (which is visible progress). I try to move from machine to machine fast enough that I keep my heart rate up and keep perspiring because that is what my body tells me I need to do. Afterwards I do just a few minutes on the elliptical because I hate it (but it is extremely good for me), and then walk 1/4 mile for my cooldown. That one hour routine seems to keep me going there over the past couple of years.

The trainer's idea of my workout: 20-30 minutes on the treadmill at a much slower speed than I like, and 10 reps on each of only 3 weight machines (!). What a cr*ppy, boring workout. I guess that must be the standard one for us out of shape boomer gals. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The trainer's idea of my workout: 20-30 minutes on the treadmill at a much slower speed than I like, and 10 reps on each of only 3 weight machines (!). :rolleyes:

I would have to agree that doesn't really do much for you.

Back
Top Bottom