Flu Shot

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Got mine this afternoon at the grocery pharmacy. No appointments required thus year.

I asked about the shingles shot. They said they'd be getting some more in December.

And after that the TPD booster.

Just back from getting mine.

Good for you.

That's DTaP (Diphtheria, Tetanus, acellular Pertussis.

I'm up to date on all those plus flu plus zoster.

You're right of course. ;)
I never can remember.

Then the pneumonia one at age 65?

Rich, my Dr. asked me the other day if I had a pneumonia shot in the last 10 years. I just can't remember. Is it OK to take another one without knowing when or if I ever took one?

UptoDatePatient information, lightly edited. Based on current evidence I will get one at age 65.

Rich
--------

Pneumonia prevention
Author
Patricia L Hibberd, MD, PhD

Section Editor
John G Bartlett, MD

Deputy Editor
Anna R Thorner, MD

INTRODUCTION — The most common cause of pneumonia in the United States is the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae, or pneumococcus. The pneumococcal vaccine is the best way to prevent infection with pneumococcus. The influenza vaccine can also help to prevent pneumonia, which can develop as a complication of the flu....

This topic discusses the pneumococcal vaccine, including who should be vaccinated and the potential benefit of vaccination. Symptoms and treatment of pneumonia are discussed separately....

PNEUMONIA VACCINE — The pneumococcal vaccine protects against the most common types of pneumococcal bacteria. Protection against pneumococcus has become more important as difficult to treat strains of pneumococcus have emerged.

Types of vaccine — There are two types of pneumococcal vaccine available in the United States, PPSV23 (pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine 23) and PCV13 (pneumococcal conjugate vaccine13).

• PCV13 is recommended for children. Four doses are given at age 2, 4, 6, and 12 to 15 months. ....
  • PPSV23 is recommended for everyone older than 65 years old, as well as for anyone over age 2 years who is at high-risk for pneumonia.
Who needs vaccination? — Current guidelines recommend giving one dose of the pneumococcal vaccine to everyone aged 65 years or older if they have not previously been vaccinated. For people who were given the vaccine before age 65, a one-time revaccination is recommended after 5 years.

Younger people who are at risk of pneumococcal disease includes people with diabetes mellitus, heart and lung disease, alcoholism, liver disease, cochlear implants, those with a weakened immune system, adults who smoke cigarettes, and people living in special environments (eg, nursing home residents).
Those aged 2 to 64 years who are at risk for pneumonia should be given the vaccine when the need for immunization is recognized. Women who are pregnant or who intend to become pregnant should speak to their healthcare provider about the safety of the vaccine.

Anyone who develops pneumococcal pneumonia who has not been vaccinated previously should be vaccinated; infection with one strain of the bacteria does not necessarily protect the person against infection with other strains.
Need for booster vaccination — The need for a one-time booster vaccine depends up an individual's circumstances.

Benefits — The pneumococcal vaccine cannot prevent all cases of pneumonia. However, evidence suggests that people who are vaccinated against pneumococcal infection and then become infected with the pneumococcal bacteria generally have a milder and shorter infection with fewer serious complications than those who are unvaccinated. Thus, anyone who is at high-risk for either pneumonia or influenza should discuss the benefits of vaccination with their healthcare provider...

I still do not understand the advice to wait until 65 for the pneumonia vaccine. This seems to be a relatively low risk preventative measure. Would someone please enlighten me?

Rich, my Dr. asked me the other day if I had a pneumonia shot in the last 10 years. I just can't remember. Is it OK to take another one without knowing when or if I ever took one?
Similarly, at my local drugstore, I couldn't remember whether I got one last Fall (then age 67). I read over the patient info handout and saw that another one before 5 years was not recommended, but it didn't seem to say it would hurt you. So I decided to get (another) one, together with the flu shot. I suppose I should get a shingles shot, too. I never heard of a DTaP shot.

Got mine at CVS Pharmacy last Thursday. It was "free". lol...my health insurance (BCBS) runs me about $400 a month for my portion, so "free" is not exactly the case. However, it didn't cost me any additonal $$ so I guess it was better than a kick in the head.

My previous 33 flu shots came free also, courtesy of the US Air Force. And...they never asked me if I wanted one, they TOLD me I was getting it. Now that I'm retired from the AF, I'll have to make the effort to take care of stuff like that without the annual offer I couldn't refuse.

Similarly, at my local drugstore, I couldn't remember whether I got one last Fall (then age 67). I read over the patient info handout and saw that another one before 5 years was not recommended, but it didn't seem to say it would hurt you. So I decided to get (another) one, together with the flu shot. I suppose I should get a shingles shot, too. I never heard of a DTaP shot.

Tetanus/Diphtheria booster has long been recommended for every 10 years; the adult Pertussis booster is fairly new and think it is a one time.

I still do not understand the advice to wait until 65 for the pneumonia vaccine. This seems to be a relatively low risk preventative measure. Would someone please enlighten me?
It really doesn't save lives in the younger group (unless they are immune suppressed, have had their spleen removed, etc.). Young'ns get pneumococcal pneumonia much less frequently, and fight it off better when it does occur. A year or two in either direction probably won't make much difference but you have to put the cutoff somewhere.

"Too soon" means you're taking it when you don't need it (still immune from the last shot). Not a big deal one time, but if you make a habit of forgetting and routinely take it too soon you might end up with 2 or 3 or more extra shots and there is a small risk and moderate cost for that.

After a few more days to clear my head of the remnants of the cold/flu I just had :nonono: and it will take 3 strong men to keep me away from getting a flu shot. Sheesh!

I am updated on all vaccinations (per CDC recommendations for Adults under age 60 :D) as of last year before I went on that Mediterranean cruise with ex-dh2b. Funny how things can change so quickly. :whistle:

At least I didn't get rabies from him. :LOL:

Got mine this afternoon at the grocery pharmacy. No appointments required thus year.

I asked about the shingles shot. They said they'd be getting some more in December.

And after that the TPD booster.
Got my flu shot and asked about shingles vaccine, was informed that they didn't have any and had no idea when or if they would have it again. Another one of "living in an isolated area" problems.

Flu Vaccines contain mercury.
That's' correct, in amounts that have never been shown to be harmful in any circumstance, though I acknowledge the risk may not be zero. And there is perhaps a 1:1000000 chance of Guillain Barre syndrome, a paralyzing neurologic disease.

Flu, on the other hand, kills many thousands of people ever year, has a strong if brief effect on national and individual economics, and is miserable to have.

I'll take the bet any day.

"Of the vaccines today that still contain mercury, the flu vaccine is the biggest concern, according to Dr. Ayoub. About 80 percent of flu vaccines contain as much as 25 micrograms of mercury per dose. The EPA's safe limit for mercury is 0.1 mcg/kg, so everyone who gets the flu vaccine receives an overdose of mercury. You would have to weigh at least 550 pounds to receive a flu shot and be within the safe federal exposure limits for mercury"

Mercury Poisoning from Vaccines – Mercury Vaccine Thimerosal, Autism, Heath Care Studies, Candida Program

After a few more days to clear my head of the remnants of the cold/flu I just had :nonono: and it will take 3 strong men to keep me away from getting a flu shot. Sheesh!
The only time spouse and I missed our flu shots was 1986, when we'd transferred from our respective commands and driven cross-country to Monterey to mix our viruses with thousands of other new students.

What with starting grad school, buying a house, chasing a mortgage, unpacking, and (oh yes) going to classes & doing homework, we didn't "have the time" for flu shots.

The week between Christmas & New Years we were bazooka puking in stereo. I think we were in bed (or in the bathroom) for 72 hours. At first we were afraid we were gonna die. Then we were afraid that we weren't gonna die.

Flu shots every year since then... just got ours last Thursday.

For some inconceivable reason they didn't note my colonoscopy eligibility. I'll turn myself in later in Nov or Dec, I promise.

"Of the vaccines today that still contain mercury, the flu vaccine is the biggest concern, according to Dr. Ayoub. About 80 percent of flu vaccines contain as much as 25 micrograms of mercury per dose. The EPA's safe limit for mercury is 0.1 mcg/kg, so everyone who gets the flu vaccine receives an overdose of mercury. You would have to weigh at least 550 pounds to receive a flu shot and be within the safe federal exposure limits for mercury"

Mercury Poisoning from Vaccines – Mercury Vaccine Thimerosal, Autism, Heath Care Studies, Candida Program

So, how did you find this forum? Do you set alerts to see who is talking about flu shots? What is your interest in early retirement?

The stuff you linked to is pseudo-science crap. Ayoub thinks vaccines are a population control plot by the Illuminati or some such thing. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=1723

Mercury, Autism and the Global Vaccine Agenda

My previous 33 flu shots came free also, courtesy of the US Air Force.
I only received "4 free ones" from that source. However, since I'm a DAV member :whistle: and we have a VA clinic in my town, I get it there every year (also to keep up my "membership").

Some years there is a shortage in our area, but the VA always seems to have enough to go around...

So, how did you find this forum? Do you set alerts to see who is talking about flu shots? What is your interest in early retirement?

The stuff you linked to is pseudo-science crap.
U R cute when you get angry :greetings10: ...

They tried to make us (military school teachers) get flu shots this year. I (along with quite a few others) have turned it down. I last had the flu the summer of 1979....and that is working with kids. Even the flu I had.....didn't feel all that bad....just has never really bothered me. I thought a couple times I may have "had it".....stomach was a little upset while the people who did have it were throwing up etc. The ol' story that you know you have it......you wouldn't get out of bed to pick up money on the floor. Never ever been anywhere near that sick.....even horribly hung over.

Back
Top Bottom