Gary Taubes' Newest Book

Yes, that is it, sorry I forgot to link it. In addition to her knowledge and familiarity with the literature, I like the way she shows her righteous anger at the way patients, human beings, are basically milked for profit.

I think Blood Sugar 101 is the best site on the planet for diabetes control. Jenny has so much common sense, as well as intelligence, and she takes the time to think about the data, as opposed to already having an opinion and making the data fit her theory. I've recommended her site to both my ex (crummy) doctor, the one who throws pills at the disease, as well as my current (better) doctor. But neither seem to have the time to read a non-ADA approved site. They would both benefit greatly from it.

In addition to her knowledge and familiarity with the literature, I like the way she shows her righteous anger at the way patients, human beings, are basically milked for profit.

How many diabetes drugs, when someone bothers to do the research, have been shown to hinder survival?

Ha

As an FYI, Jenny will be a guest on Jimmy Moore's Low-Carb podcast on Monday November 7. The link: Interviewing Doctors, Researchers, Scientists, Bloggers and More. | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

I will try to post a reminder nearer the time, as I would expect a very interesting interview (she indicated that she recorded it last week). Jimmy really lets his guests speak their minds, even those he disagrees with.

In this age of specialization and the ability to do your own research, I really don't expect my Dr to be an expert on subjects like nutrition, especially for diabetics. With this disease, acquiring personal knowledge is everything and Jenny's site is a good one for that.

OTOH, see this can of nuts:
I personally go through one of these cans every two weeks. That's almost 400 calories a day, and doesn't include the roasted pecans that I eat. I don't gain weight.
I figure that any calories that I eat of these puppies means calories that I don't eat of something else (something which has more carbs). Use this picture when someone says that eating low carb is depriving oneself.
We buy 10 at a time at Costco.
Al, on behalf of the state of Hawaii, I'd like to thank you for single-handedly supporting the ML product family!

I think the reason macadamias are considered low-carb is because they're 70% fat. Our mongoose love the windfall off our tree...

Our mongoose love the windfall off our tree...
Interesting grammatically. "love" means the subject "our mongoose" is plural. But then shouldn't it be "our mongooses" or "our mongeese"? I don't have an opinion --- I'm just asking.

I second the notion that if a person needs to lose 15-20 lbs (say 10% of body mass) that several popular diets will likely achieve that. One I know very well is the Dukan and it took 3 1/2 weeks for me to lose 20 lb, which was 10%. BUT, can I keep it off, and can I continue on the Dukan diet for life? I doubt it, but I do know that I got overweight eating pizza, burgers, Mac n Cheese, and pasta. So I know now what the culprits are, and what the consequence is.

In my fairly uncomplicated diet crisis, I have learned that carbs are bad for me (personally) and that a very low carb diet is quick and easy for me. I'm not so sure I feel great about that because it's like an addiction to want those bad foods, but I now see the Dukan diet as my methadone-like fall back position.

I see a yo-yo weight possibilty.

Al, on behalf of the state of Hawaii, I'd like to thank you for single-handedly supporting the ML product family!

$200 - $300 per year on macadamias. But they taste so good. And to think I used to limit myself to a few nuts when in Hawaii because I thought they were fattening.

I think the reason macadamias are considered low-carb is because they're 70% fat.

I would say it like this: they are low carb and high fat.

I second the notion that if a person needs to lose 15-20 lbs (say 10% of body mass) that several popular diets will likely achieve that. One I know very well is the Dukan and it took 3 1/2 weeks for me to lose 20 lb, which was 10%. BUT, can I keep it off, and can I continue on the Dukan diet for life? I doubt it, but I do know that I got overweight eating pizza, burgers, Mac n Cheese, and pasta. So I know now what the culprits are, and what the consequence is.

In my fairly uncomplicated diet crisis, I have learned that carbs are bad for me (personally) and that a very low carb diet is quick and easy for me. I'm not so sure I feel great about that because it's like an addiction to want those bad foods, but I now see the Dukan diet as my methadone-like fall back position.

I see a yo-yo weight possibilty.
You may enjoy this article by Stephan Guyenet. Also his series just before this one, on Food Reward and overweight.

Whole Health Source: Drug Cessation and Weight Gain

Ha

I am certainly not a doctor or nutritionist, but it is something i've been studying for the greater of 2 years now, and here's what I've learned thus far about carbs:

There are definitely the good and the bad carbs, and in order to maintain a good weight you have to eliminate the bad from your diet completely. I have found this to be true in my own diet, as soon as I dropped many bad carbs, I noticed that it was easier to lose weight and keep it off, especially in my abdomen where excess fat is stored more commonly in men.

Good carbs - complex carbohydrates, found in whole grain foods such as oatmeal and whole wheat bread are the best types of carbs for you. They have provide fiber for your body, which has several benefits and take more energy for your body to break them down.

Bad carbs - simple carbs are found in white bread, potatoes, and almost any white colored starch such as spaghetti, white rice, etc. Simple carbs are usually the result of food processing that strips foods of complex carbs, and should be thought of as the equivalent of straight sugar, since your body can convert it to sugar very quickly and using little energy. Even Milk falls into this category.

The thing is that all carbs are essentially converted to sugar in the body, however the body has to expend more energy to break down complex carbs (good for your metabolism), as opposed to simple carbs.

The body's retention of fat in normal circumstances is a result of a chain of events relating to the consumption of sugar...NOT necessarily fat (not that fat doesn't contribute at all, but sugar makes it stick). Sugar triggers the production of insulin, which in turn induces the body to store unused calories as fat in the abs, hips, thighs, butt, etc.

If you want a simple rule to losing weight and keeping it off, eliminate/reduce simple carbs and/or sugar in general from your diet. Period. This is in addition to "eat real food, not too much".

I remember last year about this time I was intensively working out, going to the gym, etc. but not seeing any results. Then I read this book The Belly Fat Cure, and the author broke down what makes people gain weight (that's where the analysis above comes from). I changed my diet, and as soon as a week later after adopting a diet free of sugar and simple carbs, along with regular exercise, I saw my abs tightening up.

This is spot on. I have lost 27 lbs since February without any exercise or reduction in the amount of food I eat. I simply eat anything that is low carb and do not eat any refined carbs. I eat until I am full. No bread, pasta, rice, corn or potatoes. And nothing with excessive sugar. All my blood levels have improved -- dramatically in some areas.

Ironically, I'm eating more fat and calories than I ever have. I don't even look at how many calories or fat the food has -- simply how many carbs. I'm eating eggs, meat, vegetables and some low carb fruits. I make sandwiches using low carb tortillas.

I have proven to myself that this works. No one can convince me otherwise. What jackontrack states is simply logical and makes sense.

I think it says something about our national policy of "eat fruits and vegetables and avoid fats," when our surgeon general looks like this:

Regina_Benjamin%282%29.jpg

I also think that Sasha Obama is on the road to overweight despite being on a "healthy" diet for the last year and a half:

obamagirls.jpg

Do you think that Michele Obama and the Surgeon General simply dismiss low carb eating as a fad?

Can you imagine the pressure on that child to not gain weight? The more they tell her to eat less and eat more fruits, the worse it's going to get.

I love fruit. Every Friday night I eat either 6 blueberries or 3 small strawberries.

Ha

You may enjoy this article by Stephan Guyenet. Also his series just before this one, on Food Reward and overweight.

Whole Health Source: Drug Cessation and Weight Gain

Ha
My own theory has always been that La Bête Humaine is seeking some level of pleasure, possibly genetically different for each of us. And that pleasure can come in many forms, with the two most obvious activities being sex and eating.

In the case of sexual pleasure, being the Bête that I am, it strikes me that an image of Jennifer Anniston's face alone is enough to invoke desire and that an image of Rosie O'Donnell's face is enough to invoke celibacy. Pondering the issue of what happened to me in life to cause this, I have only to imagine I have been duped by the media and society into believing that Jennifer would be the more enjoyable partner.

Applying that to food, typically as I stand in a buffet line for example, I will be drawn to desire a portion of steaming molten Macaroni and Cheese with a toasty nut brown Béchamel sauce covering it versus say, stewed eggplant. And likewise, I'm not so drawn to this plate of awesome looking veggies, as I am more drawn instantly to this burger.

I cannot help but blame my desire for Jennifer and a big cheeseburger on society, not dopamine. But the article was very interesting and makes me worry that if I ever have to give up sex I am gonna be a beached whale.

My own theory has always been that La Bête Humaine is seeking some level of pleasure, possibly genetically different for each of us. And that pleasure can come in many forms, with the two most obvious activities being sex and eating.

In the case of sexual pleasure, being the Bête that I am, it strikes me that an image of Jennifer Anniston's face alone is enough to invoke desire and that an image of Rosie O'Donnell's face is enough to invoke celibacy. Pondering the issue of what happened to me in life to cause this, I have only to imagine I have been duped by the media and society into believing that Jennifer would be the more enjoyable partner.

Applying that to food, typically as I stand in a buffet line for example, I will be drawn to desire a portion of steaming molten Macaroni and Cheese with a toasty nut brown Béchamel sauce covering it versus say, stewed eggplant. And likewise, I'm not so drawn to this plate of awesome looking veggies, as I am more drawn instantly to this burger.

I cannot help but blame my desire for Jennifer and a big cheeseburger on society, not dopamine. But the article was very interesting and makes me worry that if I ever have to give up sex I am gonna be a beached whale.
OK, your testimony is an anecdote, as is mine, but I think the two areas are not comparable in that cross culturally most men choose women (or at least attempt to choose them) with a certain set of characteristics that are said to suggest youth, health and fertility. Likewise, cross culturally, most woman prefer men with a certain set of similar but different characteristics.

No such harmony exists with foods. Every culture has its delicacies that would make people from other cultures vomit. One example is that I love and eat eggplant frequently, but I doubt that I have had mac and cheese since I left my parents' home at 17. My DIL feeds it to my granddaughter and this concerns me. That is how you can produce a fat daughter, who then struggles for years with body image issues. My kids grew up eating quality foods, more like lamb and eggplant stew than mac and cheese. OTOH, DIL is a typical American who is drawn to "comfort foods" because of their association in her experience with feeling loved, safe, cared for, etc.

And, as I wrote in another post, I have personally used conditioning and image-linking to make it almost impossible that I would eat some foods that I have decided are bad for me, even though I once went out of my way to eat them. Our food preferences are quite amenable to cultural, and with intelligent effort, personal control. Likely not at all true of sexual preferences.

Ha

I think somewhere in the eating debate the tongue has to be considered. I only have mine to use for tasting and it does not like the taste (evidently) of raw vegetables, most fruit, and sweets. Just doesn't seem to send a good "tongue-to-brain" signal of pleasure. But put some pepperoni pizza on it and that same tongue sends the brain a pleasure message akin to sex.

I suspect if I worked hard enough I could also use the conditioning and image-linking techniques to rid myself of the desire for the food. But I suspect that that would all come tumbling down if I had a subsequent taste of pizza or Mac'n'Cheese. The tongue would know.

It will be interesting to see if smoking significantly decreases among heavy smoker with this new packaging containing graphic images.

I know which of the two would be a healthier, and weight maintaining breakfast. But I also know which would taste best, to me with my personal taste buds. Overcoming pleasure for the sake of health is gonna be a challenge for me.

Attachments

• breakfast-yogurt-granola-almondsjpg-0a651630b49a6189_large.jpg
    breakfast-yogurt-granola-almondsjpg-0a651630b49a6189_large.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 8
  • stock-photo-breakfast-plate-with-eggs-sunny-side-up-bacon-link-sausage-hash-browns-and-toast-iso.jpg
    stock-photo-breakfast-plate-with-eggs-sunny-side-up-bacon-link-sausage-hash-browns-and-toast-iso.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 7
Zero said:
I know which of the two would be a healthier, .

Sugary granola with high sugar milk, high sugar yogurt, and super high sugar jam versus potatoes and bread. I'd call it a toss-up.

Sugary granola with high sugar milk, high sugar yogurt, and super high sugar jam versus potatoes and bread. I'd call it a toss-up.
Good point, hadn't really considered the nutritional value but was succumbing to media hype . As for me, I'd actually skip the hash browns but maybe keep the toast, make it whole grain, and mainly because I love egg sandwiches.

EDIT: And according to the nutritionist in the article from whence the photo was purloined, that sugary breakfast would rev the ole "tabolism" into a frenzy and provide energy boost to make the eater a tiger at work or play or school. In other words, it's the best way to start the day.

OTOH, I would say that most people aren't even aware of the fact that two slices of whole grain bread are the equivalent of at least five teaspoons of sugar, in terms of carbohydrates.

Brau - speaking of carbs, etc. - is there a way to calculate carbs/calories of home brews? I gained 30 lbs over the winter after I started brewing and switched from bud light to my own beer. I've lost about 15, but now i'm eating better and running or biking every day mixed with weights and i'm only losing about 1 lb every 2 weeks. DW swears that it's due to my beer - I average 2-3 a day.

You might be able to estimate from this:

Domestic Beer Calories, Beer Alcohol, and Beer Carbs
Brand

Brewery Alcohol(ABV) Calories 12 oz Carbohydrates (grams)
Anchor Porter Anchor 5.6% 209 *
Anchor Steam Anchor 4.9% 153 16.0g
Anheuser Busch Natural Light Anheuser Busch 4.2% 95 3.2g
Anheuser Busch Natural Ice Anheuser Busch 5.9% 157 8.9g
Aspen Edge Adolph Coors 4.1% 94 2.6g
Big Sky I.P.A. Big Sky Brewing 6.2% 195 *
Big Sky Moose Drool Brown Ale Big Sky Brewing 5.2% 177 15.6g
Big Sky Powder Hound (seasonal) Big Sky Brewing 6.2% 195 *
Big Sky Scape Goat Pale Ale Big Sky Brewing 4.7% 163 13.9g
Big Sky Summer Honey Ale (seasonal) Big Sky Brewing 4.7% 154 11.6g
Big Sky Trout Slayer Ale Big Sky Brewing 4.7% 163 13.9g
Blatz Beer Blatz 4.8% 153 12.5g
Blatz Light Blatz * * 8.5g
Blue Moon Adolph Coors 5.4% 171 13.7g
Bud Dry Anheuser Busch 5.0% 130 7.8g
Bud Ice Anheuser Busch 5.5% 123 8.9g
Bud Ice Light Anheuser Busch 5.0% 115 7.5g
Bud Light Anheuser Busch 4.2% 110 6.6g
Bud Light Lime Anheuser Busch 4.2% 116 8.0g
Budweiser Anheuser Busch 5.0% 145 10.6g
Budweiser Select Anheuser Busch 4.3% 99 3.1g
Budweiser Select 55 Anheuser Busch 2.4% 55 1.9g

Busch Beer Anheuser Busch 4.6% 133 10.2g
Busch Ice Anheuser Busch 5.9% 169 12.5g
Busch Light Anheuser Busch 4.1% 95 3.2g
Carling Black Label G. Heileman 4.3% 138 12.5g
Colt 45 Malt Liquor G. Heileman 6.1% 174 11.1g
Coors MillerCoors 4.91% 149 12.2g
Coors Light MillerCoors 4.15% 104 5.3g
Extra Gold Lager MillerCoors 4.97% 152 12.5g
Flying Dog Dog Schwarz Flying Dog Brewery 7.8% 222 14.3g
Flying Dog Doggie Style Flying Dog Brewery 4.7% 158 11.4g
Flying Dog DogtoberFest Flying Dog Brewery 5.6% 165 12.3g
Flying Dog Double Dog Flying Dog Brewery 11.5% 313 16.6g
Flying Dog Garde Dog Flying Dog Brewery 5.5% 150 9.3g
Flying Dog Gonzo Flying Dog Brewery 9.2% 271 18.9g
Flying Dog Horn Dog Flying Dog Brewery 10.2% 314 21.5g
Flying Dog In Heat Wheat Flying Dog Brewery 4.7% 138 10.4g
Flying Dog K-9 Cruiser Flying Dog Brewery 7.4% 197 10.6g
Flying Dog Kerberos Tripel Flying Dog Brewery 8.3% 238 8.6g
Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Ale Flying Dog Brewery 5.5% 154 10.2g
Flying Dog Raging Bitch Flying Dog Brewery 8.3% 221 11.6g
Flying Dog Road Dog Flying Dog Brewery 6.0% 163 9.9g
Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA Flying Dog Brewery 7.1% 188 10.0g
Flying Dog Tire Bite Golden Ale Flying Dog Brewery 5.1% 129 6.2g
Flying Dog Wild Dog: Coffee Stout Flying Dog Brewery 9.9% 288 20.2g
Flying Dog Woody Creek White Flying Dog Brewery 4.8% 131 8.0g
Genesee Beer High Falls Brewing 4.5% 148 13.5g
Genesee Cream Ale High Falls Brewing 5.1% 162 15.0g
Genesee Ice High Falls Brewing 5.9% 156 14.5g
Genesee Red High Falls Brewing 4.9% 148 14.0g
George Killian's Irish Red MillerCoors 4.98% 162 14.8g
Icehouse MillerCoors 5% 132 8.7g
Icehouse 5.0 MillerCoors 5.5% 149 9.8g
Icehouse Light MillerCoors 4.13% 103 5.5g
Hamm's Beer MillerCoors 4.7% 144 12.1g
Hamm's Golden Draft MillerCoors 4.7% 144 12.1g
Hamm's Special Light MillerCoors 3.9% 110 8.3g
Keystone Premium Adolph Coors 4.43% 111 5.8g
Keystone Light Adolph Coors 4.13% 103 5.0g
Keystone Ice Adolph Coors 5.9% 142 5.9g
Leinenkugel Honey Weiss Leinenkugel 4.92% 149 12.0g
Leinenkugel Northwoods Lager Leinenkugel 4.94% 163 15.3g
Leinenkugel Original Leinenkugel 4.67% 152 13.9g
Leinenkugel Creamy Dark Leinenkugel 4.94% 170 16.8g
Leinenkugel Red Leinenkugel 4.94% 166 16.2g
Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat Leinenkugel 4.9% 165 16g
Leinenkugel Light Leinenkugel 4.19% 105 5.7g
Leinenkugel Amber Light Leinenkugel 4.14% 110 7.4g
Lowenbrau Dark 5.0% 160
Lowenbrau Special Beer 5.2% 160

Magnum Malt Liquor MillerCoors 5.6% 157 11.2g
Michael Shea's High Falls Brewing 4.62% 145 13.0g
Michelob Amber Boch Anheuser Busch 5.2% 166 15.0g
Michelob Beer Anheuser Busch 5.0% 155 13.3g
Michelob Golden Draft Anheuser Busch 4.7% 152 14.1g
Michelob Golden Draft Light Anheuser Busch 4.1% 110 7.0g
Michelob Honey Lager Anheuser Busch 4.9% 175 17.9g
Michelob Light Anheuser Busch 4.3% 113 6.7g
Michelob Ultra Anheuser Busch 4.1% 95 2.6g
Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor MillerCoors 5.6% 157 11.2g
Mickey's Ice MillerCoors 5.8% 157 11.8g
Miller Chill MillerCoors 4.2% 110 6.5g
Miller Genuine Draft MillerCoors 4.7% 143 13.1g
Miller Genuine Draft Light MillerCoors 4.2% 110 7g
Miller Genuine Draft "64" MillerCoors 2.8% 64 2.4g
Miller High Life MillerCoors 4.7% 143 13.1g
Miller High Life Light MillerCoors 4.2% 110 7g
Miller Lite MillerCoors 4.2% 96 3.2g
Milwaukee's Best MillerCoors 4.3% 128 11.4g
Miller Lite Brewers Collection Amber MillerCoors 4.2% 110 6.2g
Miller Lite Brewers Collection Blonde MillerCoors 4.2% 110 6.2g
Miller Lite Brewers Collection Wheat MillerCoors 4.2% 110 6.2g
Milwaukee's Best Premium MillerCoors 4.3% 128 11.4g
Milwaukee's Best Light MillerCoors 4.2% 98 3.5g
Milwaukee's Best Ice MillerCoors 5.9% 144 7.3g
New Belgium 1554 New Belgium 5.6% 205 25g
New Belgium 2 Below New Belgium 6.6% 200 17g
New Belgium Abbey New Belgium 7.0% 200 18g
New Belgium Blue Paddle New Belgium 4.8% 140 14g
New Belgium Fat Tire New Belgium 5.2% 160 15g
New Belgium Mothership Wit New Belgium 4.8% 155 15g
New Belgium Trippel New Belgium 7.8% 215 20g
New Belgium Sunshine Wheat New Belgium 4.8% 145 13g
O'Doul's Anheuser Busch 0.4% 70 13.3g
Old Milwaukee Light Old Milwaukee 3.8% 114 8.3g
Old Milwaukee Beer Old Milwaukee 4.5% 146 12.9g
Olde English 800 MillerCoors 5.9 % 160 10.5g
Olde English 800 7.5 MillerCoors 7.5 % 202 13.4g
Olde English High Gravity 800 MillerCoors 8.0% 220 14.6g
Olympia Premium Lager Pabst 4.7% 146 11.9g
Pabst Blue Ribbon Pabst 5.0% 153 12.01g
Pabst Extra Light Low Alcohol Pabst 2.5% 67 *
Pete's Wicked Ale 5.3% 174 17.7g
Red Dog MillerCoors 5.0% 147 14.1g
Red Hook ESB Red Hook 5.77% 179 14.15g
Red Hook IPA Red Hook 6.5% 188 12.66g
Rolling Rock Extra Pale Latrobe 4.6% 142
Rolling Rock Premium Beer Latrobe 4.5% 120 10.0g
Sam Adams Boston Lager Boston Beer 4.75% 160 18.0g
Sam Adams Boston Ale Boston Beer 4.94% 160 19.9g
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Boston Beer 5.2% 166 16.86g
Sam Adams Cream Stout Boston Beer 4.69% 195 23.94g
Sam Adams IPA Boston Beer 5.93% 175
Sam Adams Light Boston Beer 4.05% 124 9.7g
Sam Adams Pale Ale Boston Beer 5.25% 145

Schaefer Beer Pabst 4.6% 142 12.0g
Schlitz Beer Pabst 4.7% 146 12.1g
Schlitz Light Pabst 4.2% 110 *
Schlitz Malt Liquor Pabst 6.2% 185 *
Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale Sierra Nevada 5.9% 190 17.3g
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Sierra Nevada 9.6% 330 32.1g
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Sierra Nevada 6.8% 214 19.4g
Sierra Nevada Draft Ale Sierra Nevada 5.0% 157 13.4g
Sierra Nevada Early Spring Beer Sierra Nevada 5.9% 190 16.7g
Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale Sierra Nevada 6.7% 215 19.3g
Sierra Nevada India Pale Ale Sierra Nevada 6.9% 231 20.0g
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Sierra Nevada 5.6% 175 14.1g
Sierra Nevada Pale Bock Sierra Nevada 7.0% 218 19.7g
Sierra Nevada Porter Sierra Nevada 5.6% 194 18.4g
Sierra Nevada Stout Sierra Nevada 5.8% 225 22.3g
Sierra Nevada Summerfest Beer Sierra Nevada 5.0% 158 13.7g
Sierra Nevada Wheat Beer Sierra Nevada 4.4% 153 13.1g
Signature Stroh Beer Stroh's 4.8% 153 *
Southpaw Light MillerCoors 5.0% 123 6.6g
Steel Reserve MillerCoors 8.1% 222 16.0g
Steel Reserve Triple Export MillerCoors 8.1% 222 16.0g
Steel Reserve Six MillerCoors 6.0% 160 11.0g
Stroh's Beer Stroh's 4.6% 149 12.0g
Stroh's Light Stroh's 4.4% 113 7g
Tuborg Deluxe Dark Export G. Heileman 5.1% 163
Tuborg Export Quality G. Heileman 5.0% 156
Weinhard's Private Reserve MillerCoors 4.8% 150 9.9g
Weinhard's Amber Light MillerCoors 4.2% 135 11.5g
Weinhard's Hefeweizen MillerCoors 4.9% 151 12.2g
Weinhard's Blonde Lager MillerCoors 5.1% 161 14.0g
Weinhard's Pale Ale MillerCoors 4.6% 147 13g
Yuengling Ale D.G. Yuengilng 5.0% 145 10g
Yuengling Porter D.G. Yuengilng 4.5% 150 14g
Yuengling Premium Beer D.G. Yuengling 4.4% 135 12g
Yuengling Light D.G. Yuengling 3.8% 98 6.6g
Yuengling Lager D.G. Yuengling 4.4% 135 12g

Thanks Al, it looks like mine are around 180 cals with 17 carb grams. I need to stop brewing stouts - they're off the charts. There's a lb of lactose in 5 gallons of milk stout.

There are a number of methods, but you really need lab equipment for accuracy.
Stronger (higher alcohol) beers obviously give you more calories from alcohol, even though the carbs don't go up much (if any) over lower alcohol beers.

Here's a website that will let you plug in the starting and finish gravities (OG and FG) to get calories and carbs:
Beer Calories & Beer Carbohydrates

For commercial beers, try this one:
Ounces of beer times alcohol percentage by volume (ABV)
Divide the result by 60
Multiply the result by 150
The final result is the approximate calories.

For example,
Take a 12 ounce bottle of a nice strong IPA that's 7% ABV.
12 times 7 = 84.
84 divided by 60 = 1.4
1.4 times 150 = 210 calories

Roughly:
1 gram of carbs = 4 calories
1 gram of protein = 4 calories
1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories
1 gram of fat = 9 calories

Back
Top Bottom