Goodbye to Baloney

I don't know about cold cuts, but every sunday I generally grill 3-5lbs of meat for my lunches and dinner throughout the week... Fortunately I love my veggies too, so hopefully I'm getting enough fiber to counteract the colon cancer risk, yikes!

We used to have fried baloney (bologna on the Oscar Mayer package) sandwiches on white bread with yellow mustard growing up. A lot of them. You had to cut into the edges of the bologna if you didn't want the middle to pop up into a hat shape during the frying.

Same here except with mayo. A fried baloney sandwich is still a treat for me! :dance:

What was that book we had to read in high school English class... I think it took place in the Great Depression and people fell in vats of meat.....?

The Jungle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sinclair's account of workers falling into rendering tanks and being ground, along with animal parts, into "Durham's Pure Leaf Lard", gripped public attention. The morbidity of the working conditions, as well as the exploitation of children and women alike that Sinclair exposed showed the corruption taking place inside the meat packing factories.

...What? Let me get the straight, I order a Bacon Cheese Burger with Fries and you want me to be healthy so you give me a Wheat Bun. I couldn't stop laughing. The manager just looked at me and said she'd take the burger off the bill. I guess you had to be there.

Don't forget the diet soda...;)

Edited: Oops, didn't see previous posts. Make that a fruit juice cocktail blend, full of corn syrup.

Same here except with mayo. A fried baloney sandwich is still a treat for me! :dance:

Ooh, mayo, never had that on it.

And if eating red meat says something about a person's attitudes, habits, etc., think what enjoying fried bologna sandwiches screams out :)

Ooh, mayo, never had that on it.

And if eating red meat says something about a person's attitudes, habits, etc., think what enjoying fried bologna sandwiches screams out :)
And I salted the bologna..... that should push some people over the edge....

and i salted the bologna..... That should push some people over the edge....

ooh, mayo, never had that on it.

must let slow pitches go by...:-X

I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I easily go through two pounds of red meat a week, plus a pound of pork, a pound of chicken, at least a half pound of fish and a quarter pound of cheese and a dozen eggs.

If you tell me I'll die next week, I'll just thank you for the information and keep eating.

Next week we'll pick up the paper and read the latest interview with a centenarian who has been eating this way for the last century, along with smoking and drinking on a daily basis.

Life is too short to obsess about trivia. We started out as carnivores, and we're still just in the process of evolving into omnivores. Relax.

We used to have fried baloney (bologna on the Oscar Mayer package) sandwiches on white bread with yellow mustard growing up. A lot of them. You had to cut into the edges of the bologna if you didn't want the middle to pop up into a hat shape during the frying.
So good. Didn't cost much, easy to make, yet so much pleasure.

I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I easily go through two pounds of red meat a week, plus a pound of pork, a pound of chicken, at least a half pound of fish and a quarter pound of cheese and a dozen eggs.
How could you keep your mouth shut with all that food?

Life is too short to obsess about trivia. We started out as carnivores, and we're still just in the process of evolving into omnivores. Relax.
+1

I notice that people who feel guilty about their continual consumption of red meat tend to dwell on the obsessive nature of those who give it up. Isn't this a little feeble? I stopped eating red meat, but I really don't think I obsess about it. There are plenty of other delicious things to indulge myself on, even things that are bad for me in different ways (like wine and cheese). Habits can be changed.

I stopped eating red meat

Why?

Seriously, why?

I haven't seen any comment even remotely obsessive here, until you (the one who gave it up) raised the issue.

Methinks you are the one who feels guilty, or at least a bit shaky in his decision to give it up.

I notice that people who feel guilty about their continual consumption of red meat tend to dwell on the obsessive nature of those who give it up. Isn't this a little feeble? I stopped eating red meat, but I really don't think I obsess about it. There are plenty of other delicious things to indulge myself on, even things that are bad for me in different ways (like wine and cheese). Habits can be changed.
This thread may not be the ideal spot for a discourse on this. :)

Yum!

I tend to regard red meat as being a yummy treat like chocolate. Although I try not to gorge myself on beef, I love it! I eat it and don't feel in the slightest bit guilty about eating beef. And to make it worse, in the eyes of most chefs and connoisseurs at any rate,
I like my steaks very well done. :hide:

Why?

Seriously, why?

I haven't seen any comment even remotely obsessive here, until you (the one who gave it up) raised the issue.

Methinks you are the one who feels guilty, or at least a bit shaky in his decision to give it up.
"Obsess" appeared previously in posts #4 and #35 in this thread.

You think I feel guilty about giving up red meat? Seriously? I don't think this is worth commenting on.

Answering your question, in part my taste just changed for no reason I can say, when I stopped eating steaks. And in part, when I stopped eating burgers, I wanted to control my weight. Similarly, I used to enjoy spaghetti with meat sauce, but I stopped eating pasta to avoid getting too fat.

Lowering my cancer risk is a freebee, so far as my motives go.

"Obsess" appeared previously in posts #4 and #35 in this thread.

Thank you for that wonderful explanation.

And thank you to the forum administrators for providing the wonderful "Ignore" function. I'll be making good use of it.

OK, now I'm curious!

What does eating red meat say about some one?

OK, now I'm curious!

What does eating red meat say about some one?
Oh, nothing very profound. It is just that in our culture, there tend to be clusters of behaviors. I do not know, but I would guess that compared to red meat eaters, abstainers use less alcohol, use more non-fat or low fat dairy products, eat fewer eggs, eat more vegetables and fruits, eat more yogurt and soybean products, and perhaps more supplements. There is likely some correlation with smoking too. Red meat eaters are more likely to also eat french fries and fried onion rings, as a large amount of the red meat that gets eaten in America gets eaten in McDonalds, Burger King and (my personal favorite) Jack in the Box. I would imagine that relatively more working class people eat red meat than eat vegetarian for example. There are also likely to be ethnic and race tie-ins, but I am not familiar with these. They must have controlled for gender, but in case not, men are heavier red meat eaters than women.

Ha

This reminds me of a study done decades ago in which researchers collected and studied samples of various types of steaks and concluded that eating them was unhealthy.

They were so disturbed by their findings that they ate the rest of the steaks.

Back
Top Bottom