Goodbye to Baloney

Those studies do not say anything about cause and effect. Because people who eat more red meat get more colon cancer doesn't mean that the red meat causes colon cancer.

Perhaps they are more constipated, and constipation causes cc.

Perhaps they can afford more meat because they are more well-off and have other habits that distinguish them from the other group.

Perhaps meat eaters are less health conscious in general.

Unless subjects are randomly assigned to the different groups, you can say nothing about cause and effect.

ER forum members are richer than non ER forum members. Does that mean that joining this forum causes wealth?

There have been many studies done that show a cause/effect relationship.
That might be going a little far, but there have been a lot of studies purporting to show a link. I'll have to confess that, although I've reached a conclusion, myself, I haven't read a single one of the studies and, consequently, have no opinion about how sound they are. Even if I were to read them, I doubt very much that my extremely limited knowledge of statistics and non-existent knowledge of biomedical science could lead me to a reasonable critical evaluation. But just the fact that there are a number of studies counts for something -- it means that several people in the biz' have decided there might be a bandwagon that they'd like to hitch onto. That's something. I'm thinking, that where there's smoke, there's fire. And besides, I don't need a certainty to place my bet on diet or food supplement issues, because there's little downside. Suppose I give up red meat, but it turns out, when the matter is finally clarified, that it was just a bunch of crap. What did I lose? There are lots of delicious foods other than red and processed meats.

I don't know how much more evidence you need. ...

You should not form your opinion about what a science article says based on a journalists reading, or worse, his/her summary of what other journalists said about an article.

Back
Top Bottom