Has your waistline benefited or been harmed by retirement ?

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
For some the freedom from work and being with the refrigerator 24/7 may be too much and for other's retirement has been a time to get their health in shape . So has is your waistline doing since retirement ? Mine happily is dwindling . When I was working I never really had to visit gyms since I walked so much in my job but when I retired some pounds started creeping on . I now hit the gym three to four times a week and have lost sixteen pounds .

Congratulations on getting in shape!

(Especially since some of your posts have mentioned very delicious and lavish meals).

Amethyst

Last edited:
Don't have all the waistline measurements.

Lost 85#

Don't have all the waistline measurements.

Lost 85#

Wow, Khan, that's really impressive! You must feel great!

For many years I've had a three-pound range that I try to keep my weight within, working or not. I've stayed within my range but stick to my workout schedule better now. I've always worked out in the morning (at home), but when I was still w*rking I had more excuses (running late, etc.) that would keep me from adhering to my schedule.

Waistline has decreased and eye sight has improved.

I've lost about 20# and am working out 3-4 times a week. The optometrist tells me that they often find that patients who have recently retired have improved eyesight. Must have something to do with lack of stress.

-- Rita

Lost about 30 pounds, lowered my blood pressure, and lowered my resting pulse.

Shrinkage. Definite shrinkage...

I'm a regular blood donor: BP went from high of 176/96 to 110/70 last month.

No.
Donating blood every 8 weeks is a way I kept track of BP.

Generally better, although at first DW and I kind of "got into" cooking for a while. Then we ate what we cooked. Predictably, we both gained 20 lbs and it became clear we needed to buy all new clothes or lose weight.

Being too cheap to buy all new clothes we both lost the weight. Now I stay between 145 - 150 lbs, she gets upset if she's over 120.

I'm about 10 pounds lighter but lost 2" at the waistline- I have a portable sawmill that I run for a part time business and lifting boards gives me plenty of exercise- my previous job was at a desk so a big change. Blood pressure is lower as well.

I lost 15 pounds over the past year of retirement. I get more physical activity now, but I think it's mainly from not going out to lunch 3 times a week.

Since I have more time now, I planted a much bigger vegetable garden that I've done in the past, so I'm also eating a lot healthier this summer.

I have never been extremely overweight, just a little fuller around the waist than I would prefer. I started biking about 100 miles a week soon after ER and dropped about 15 pounds. Unfortunately, once my body adjusted to the increased excercise I gained back about 10. I know what it would take to drop those 10 permanently - cut out chocolate. Fat chance :)

I gradually increased my weight after retirement by about 7 pounds. Then last fall, I slowly began changing my eating pattern and lost a little over 20 pounds in a year.

I'm attempting to build up some muscle since I know I've lost some, by doing Pilates. My waist has decreased about 2 inches so I'm now under the 35 inches, the current benchmark for good health, for women. I sure would like my waist measurement to decrease a little more though. I have a feeling that I will never get to my old waist size of long ago...boo hoo.

At retirement I weighed more than at any point in my life (a little over 200 lbs) due to limited time for exercise with the long commute. Being fairly tall (6' 2"), a good weight for me is 180 to 185 but after retiring I started running everyday and actually lost too much weight (down to 170). I still run most days but have scaled back the distance. I also lift weights/exercise 3 days a week and have been maintaining my ideal weight range of 180 to 185. My waist is now the same as when I was in college (33"). I eat much healthier as well since most meals are prepared at home.

OK....odd man out here :whistle: I've probably gained 10 lbs in the past 3 years.....

I envy each of you who has the willpower to get up and out to the gym....or on the road to run....and I HAVE TRIED....I simply have not found the right motivation FOR ME....

I actually thought that my high BP might get me to the gym, but if I'm being truly honest about it, the medication (OK, so I DID finally make it to the Doctor to get THAT under control!) is doing an absolutely great job ~ 110-120/65-80 .....so I don't feel like I HAVE to go....and I really don't enjoy it :nonono:

At 5' 6" and 200 lbs + I KNOW that I need to do SOMETHING.....Atkins worked for me a few years back....maybe I could get back to that.....but then I'd rather eat all of the stuff that is not good for me.....and I have absolutely no motivation.... at least not yet....at 55 even my cholesterol is great!

I even signed up with a local gym with a contract for a year hoping that money might be my motivating factor....but alas....still sitting here!

So I may be the only one in the expanding waistline group here...or maybe I'm the only one willing to say so??

Again, congrats to all of you who have done all of the right things!

I envy each of you who has the willpower to get up and out to the gym....or on the road to run....and I HAVE TRIED....I simply have not found the right motivation FOR ME....

Two things I know that often work-

1)move somewhere where you can walk to do your errands and go to coffee shops, etc. You just naturally get a fair amount of mild to moderate exercise.

2) Get divorced. This works in two ways. Unless you can afford to go out all the time, you will be having a lot less dessert. And, you will want to look slim to attract women more easily.

Ha

I even signed up with a local gym with a contract for a year hoping that money might be my motivating factor....but alas....still sitting here!

So I may be the only one in the expanding waistline group here...or maybe I'm the only one willing to say so??

Again, congrats to all of you who have done all of the right things!

You are not the odd man out . I truly dislike the gym and if I did the treadmill ( The most boring exercise on earth ) I would be out of there in twenty minutes . I do a one hour class of water aerobics or kickboxing because once you are in the class it's hard to leave without looking strange . Luckily for me money is a motivator so that yearly fee is a strong incentive for showing up regularly .

I lost 45 pounds since i semi-retired. I have more time to shop, cook and eat correctly. I no longer go out to lunch at work. I just pack something from home. I am expecting to loose more but I am now about 180 so the weight is coming off slower as I get closer to my goal.

Being fairly tall (6' 2"), a good weight for me is 180 to 185 but after retiring I started running everyday and actually lost too much weight (down to 170). my ideal weight range of 180 to 185.

Not sure why you would think 170lbs is too light. At 6'2", 170lbs gives you a BMI of 21.9 which is ideal. 185 would put you at the very high end of the 18.5-24.5 ideal range for BMI. As long as you're 190 or under you're doing fine. 150lbs would be the low end for your height.

If you have an unusually large amount of muscle then BMI isn't very reliable go with body fat % instead.

The scale has not budged too much, but my overall fitness has greatly improved. I keep very active during the day :D versus being chained to the desk under stress. :nonono:
I am trying to get into an exercise bike regiment...:whistle: I do that at least twice a week. I will do more indoor exercise during the winter when the snow is up to my eyeballs. I get a great cardio and upper body w*rkout shoveling snow.

The scale has not budged too much, but my overall fitness has greatly improved. I keep very active during the day :D versus being chained to the desk under stress. :nonono:
I am trying to get into an exercise bike regiment...:whistle: I do that at least twice a week. I will do more indoor exercise during the winter when the snow is up to my eyeballs. I get a great cardio and upper body w*rkout shoveling snow.

I know a great cardio workout that is perfect for the inside !:)

Back
Top Bottom