Heart rate monitor

I've tried about 4 different versions, all chest strap. I mostly run and bike.

The Polar one is the best dedicated HR monitor.

The Garmin w/ GPS is really the best for fully understanding how your doing, and how you're improving. It'll provide graphs of heart, pace, hills, etc.

I've also tried the Wahoo Blue HR. I found trouble finding the software that did what I want, and a few bad readings from it... but, was nice for better instant results.

I highly recommend a Garmin device for your bike. I'll post more info when I get home, but it is indeed fun and motivating.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I know a lot of folks think cardio is all they need, but I think that without resistance training and mobility work that cardio is not going to accomplish much good by itself.

+1 closest thing to to the fountain of youth that one can find. My gym also has these vibratory machines, which helped me restore a lot of flexibility in one of my knees which was preventing me from squatting very deeply. I was quite skeptical at first, but after a few weeks of using the machine, I totally restored my ability to get down in a catchers squat (ATG)

The Garmin GPS goes on your handlebars, and there's nothing else you need to connect. I have the old 305. The chest strap goes around your chest and is not uncomfortable. After a few miles, you don't even notice that it's on.

I wasn't wearing the HR monitor on this trip, but it shows you how you can share trip info (I don't share trips that I take from home):

Stone Lagoon to Prairie Creek Hill Top by tromboneal at Garmin Connect - Details

You can compete with others via Strava.com. I am usually the slowest of anyone for a given segment, but I used treachery to with the King of the Mountain for a stretch here: I waited until there was a super-strong tailwind on this section. The section is where my HR was above 150:

0oyWJgR.png

Here's a ride that I used to calculate my lactate threshold (fun but useless):

F63SScL.png

This is a run on the beach with high-intensity intervals:

sh2aOwY.png

This is a three-minute warm-up followed by Bowflex strength training:

z6NGpNh.png

Here's a stationary bike ride with intervals:

4ucf4b6.png

You can also view all your activity or set goals for weeks, months, or other time periods:

5mx5WDg.png

And here's taking a nap:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/341061692

So, in summary, the Garmin GPS is perfect for bike riding. You'll probably not wear the HR monitor every ride, but it gives you some useful information about your heart, and it can be motivating to work on reaching your goals. It's perfect if you are training for a big ride.

I got my Garmin 305 used for $100.

Last edited:
Thanks Al. Lots of good info there.

Back
Top Bottom