Help -- insomnia

I slept over 10 hours last night and could have slept another two, had my alarm not awakened me.

What's my secret? Getting kicked to the curb by an intense case of stomach flu. By the time I recovered, I was exhausted. I don't recommend this cure for insomnia, though.

I could probably count on the fingers of two hands the nights I've had trouble sleeping in my life.

DW hates me.

no drugs for me. too many habits formed, too many side effects. Try smoking a bowl. works very well.

I could probably count on the fingers of two hands the nights I've had trouble sleeping in my life.

DW hates me.

I'm the same way. I've had an average of 9 hours of sleep every night since college.

I too have had insomnia since childhood. In my case it comes in streaks, where I might go a week or two with major sleep issues. Then it'll go away until next cycle.
I use Ambien sparingly, but it works wonders for me with no dependence. I emphatically disagree with the suggestion of going to bed every night at the same time. I never go to bed at a set time, even if I have to get up early the next morning. I wait until I am sleepy-tired before I go up to my bedroom. I think the set-time routine can exacerbate insomnia.
Another thing that works surprisingly well: having a written To-Do list. Knowing I have that list minimizes my chances of thinking about what I need to do the next day, whilst I'm lying in bed trying to get to sleep.
Finally, that podcast cited in the NY Times article would likely work wonders as well.

I have occasional insomnia. When I feel like I need to take something, I try doxylamine succinate (OTC in the US), or Zaleplon (prescription), or passionflower tea, or on very, very rare occasion xanax. I tried melatonin, at 3mg, but I did not feel well the next morning. Most of the time, I don't take anything, but good to have some options, when I need it. (Of course, none of this is medical advice; I am not qualified to give any such advice).

Serenity

I have struggled with insomnia for years and a few months ago a friend suggested an essential oil.....Serenity by DoTerra. It may sound strange but I truly feel it works for me. My husband uses it too and also feels it is beneficial. I also have a sleep machine....white noise. I have been sleeping well for months now! Definitely worth a try.......

Good Luck!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom