Hold the Salsa?

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
I don't know if tomatoes have been completely exonerated, but now it seems that cilantro and jalapenos are being investigated for the salmonella outbreak:

ABC News: Jalapenos, Cilantro Eyed for Salmonella

Salsa is one of my main condiments! I probably use it more than ketchup. And of course, I use cilantro and jalapeno in many other dishes.

Is anyone freaked by this---or is time to start ignoring all this, especially since no one really seems to know what is causing it?

Been eating tomatoes in salads and on sandwiches through this whole ordeal. Plus, had fresh salsa for lunch today. No problems yet...

I just made a splendid pico de gallo for the 4th of July party. So far, so good.

We get all of our vegetables from our CSA or local farmers markets. I give up on getting mystery produce from various parts of the world, trucked and processed by who knows how many people, with plenty of opportunities for contamination. I know the only other two people who ever touch most of my food. I'm the transportation and processing plant.

Anything non produce related I like salted and smoked. Then preferably fried until golden brown and delicious.

:2funny:

Bleh who wants to live forever..

Hmmmm---you have a point---I'm not one of those striving to reach 150. So---death by salsa could be okay.....:cool:

CFB---can you explain how your CSA works? Do you get to pick what veggies you want?

No salsa? No way! With less than a 1000 people across the U.S. affected by the illness supposedly brought on by tainted tomatoes.....or whatever.....I figure my odds of being affected or infected are pretty slim to nil. My odds of being gunned down while in Chicago for the "Taste of Chicago" last week were probably quite a bit greater than that.....and I didn't even hear any gun fire while there! I've been eating tomatoes all along......and jalapeños.....and cilantro.....and just about every other veggie.

If I get sick, I get sick....but at least I ain't gonna go hungry on the way there! ;)

No salsa? No way! With less than a 1000 people across the U.S. affected by the illness supposedly brought on by tainted tomatoes.....or whatever.....I figure my odds of being affected or infected are pretty slim to nil.
I saw a report saying the CDC estimated that only one case out of every 30 actually got reported. But even at 30,000 cases, the odds are you won't get it. ;)

Both my wife and I were pretty darn sick a few weeks back after eating out mexican and italian and having some raw tomatoes and other vegetables included in our meals. Symptoms were pretty much on target for mild salmonella poisoning.

CFB---can you explain how your CSA works? Do you get to pick what veggies you want?

Fairly simply. Whatever is ripe and in season gets picked and divided among the subscribers. You can buy a full or half share or split either with another person/family. So you may end up with a whole heck of a lot of something one week and not much of it the next. If theres something you dont like, you leave it and someone picking up late will get it as a bonus.

I kind of like it. Forces us to eat more vegetables and some we might not buy on our own. Sometimes its a bit onerous...ours produces way too frickin much basil and cilantro.

Some include fruit shares and egg shares. A couple I've seen have separate additional tomato shares or honey shares.

Ours operates year round, obviously having rather different things in the 'winter' than the summer.

The only thing that can potentially stink is if your farm gets hit with some sort of huge pestilence or drought and cant produce. You're on the hook for a little risk.

Some let you work at the farm or pick in exchange for reduced rates or larger shares. We trade fruit we grow on our property with ours in exchange for some more of whatever they have extra of. Rates are reasonable, about $25 a week for a half share and $40 for a full share. Full shares feed a family of four.

Last few weeks we've gotten basil, cilantro, tomatoes, green beans, long beans, beets, yukon gold and purple potatoes, carrots, baby greens, onions and garlic among other items.

Part of it is just the experience, especially for my son. Last couple of times the farmers let him poke around in the gardens, pull up some carrots and then eat them after a quick rinse, then he feeds their horses some apples. He's seeing his food, what it looks like when and where its grown, and enjoying it farm fresh.

Fairly straightforward for a family that lives on a farm. Worth a bit more to suburban parents

As a side bonus, since he got to pull up his own, he likes eating carrots and even asks for them on a regular basis.

Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest

Thanks, CFB---sounds very worthwhile. I'll look into it in the Atlanta area....

We haven't stopped eating tomatoes or salsa and intend to keep on eating them.

We haven't stopped eating tomatoes or salsa and intend to keep on eating them.

From what the news media are telling us, our Louisiana Creole tomatos have not been implicated in any salmonella outbreak. That's reassuring, though of course we get tomatoes from elsewhere in our stores, too.

I don't take risks like sky-diving or driving fast, but I suppose that I do live dangerously by eating plenty of tomatoes and salsa. :2funny:

I'm way less concerned about getting sick than interested in better tasting vegetables that werent picked green and then gassed to make them look good.

A lot of the heirloom tomato varieties we get cant be shipped.

Is anyone freaked by this---or is time to start ignoring all this, especially since no one really seems to know what is causing it?

The short answer is NO. Why worry about a little food poisoning? If anyone is freaked then I am quite certain they have never traveled abroad. For crying out loud, life is a risk and getting sick is part of living.

If you want perfectly sterile food, then you should eat processed food in a can or boil it yourself...no more salads for you! Whoa! Now I'm the salad Nazi?

Elderly or the sick might worry about a "little bit of food poisoning"

But this thread is over someone brought up the Nazi's :D

I saw a report saying the CDC estimated that only one case out of every 30 actually got reported. But even at 30,000 cases, the odds are you won't get it. ;)

Also, I wonder how many cases of 'food poisoning' were due to unsanitary conditions in restaurant kitchens and/or poor hygiene of the food prep people, and not necessarily the veggies coming in virus laden from the fields. Having worked for a public utility, I've seen more than my fair share of restaurant kitchens while making service calls. From what I've seen in those kitchens over the years, I pick and choose restaurants to dine in VERY carefully. There's a small hand full of good restaurants here in town that I'll eat at, but not many. Some keep there kitchens and prep areas spotless, and scrub & disinfect meticulously everyday, and I'll go to them any day. But for some (many?), the inside of their dumpsters look much more sanitary than their kitchens.....homey ain't going there....ever!

For the most part I'll stick with cooking & eating at home.......my restaurant of choice! Besides, I've never gotten sick from anything that I've eaten at home.......can't say the same for restaurant food.

Dang! All this talk of tomatoes and stuff.....now I'm hungry for a good ol' BLT! :D

Whatever is ripe and in season gets picked and divided among the subscribers. You can buy a full or half share or split either with another person/family. So you may end up with a whole heck of a lot of something one week and not much of it the next. If theres something you dont like, you leave it and someone picking up late will get it as a bonus.
. . . . .
Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest
Thank you, thank you! I had no idea that these existed and could only occasionally talk myself into fighting the traffic & limited parking downtown to buy from the local farmers market. Using the link above I found that there is a nice CSA less than 1 mile from my house. They have an open house in August so I've put it on the calendar to go check it out and learn more.

--Linney

The short answer is NO. Why worry about a little food poisoning? If anyone is freaked then I am quite certain they have never traveled abroad.

Absolutely - the few times I have had food poisioning are when traveling abroad.

Six days after I started this thread, it seems like no one knows for sure what the culprit is...and now Mexican restaurants here are not including cilantro or jalapenos in salsa or guacamole:

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...staurants.html

Supposedly 90% of Mexican restaurants use canned tomatoes for their salsa (this sounds so high to me), so that's not an issue.

Wonder if visits to Mexican restaurants have decreased out of fear......that people will either get sick or that the food won't be as good without cilantro or jalapenos (that would be more my fear at this point)? What do y'all think?

Wonder if visits to Mexican restaurants have decreased out of fear......that people will either get sick or that the food won't be as good without cilantro or jalapenos (that would be more my fear at this point)? What do y'all think?

Is it mostly happening in Mexican restaurants? I haven't heard about any problems in our local area (yet), but New Orleans isn't especially noted for Mexican food. Frank and I ate at Chevy's a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to be about as busy as always. We both hate jalapenos, so we fish them out of whatever we eat anyway.

Most of our favorite restaurants here are Creole/Italian. They rely heavily on tomato-based preparations such as marinara sauce, which we eat fearlessly.

i saw the cnn special on the bagged lettuce/spinach issue and they basically said the stuff was the highest risk since it was processed so much...

of course my inclination is to not believe the fear mongering media - but then they show that poor little girl who got really sick when all her parents were trying to do was feed her some healthy fresh spinach and I have to think that could be me!

but i still have two bags of it in my fridge and have used it a lot in the past...maybe i'll just eat it myself ...it's just the little kids are more vulnerable then us big adults...so i do have to say i am more cautious than before...or is this a case like the shark biting - where it was happening to a relative low degree but now is being blown up by media attention?

Back
Top Bottom