Hoping to 'glide' back into work, maybe not....

Turn_the_Page

Recycles dryer sheets
The events today most certainly set my 2014 retirement date in STONE. I'm recuperating from major surgery and was released to return to work on Monday. I get a call from my boss today and one of my co-workers has accepted a transfer and I'll be covering both jobs starting almost immediately and this will last into next year (or whenever the position is filled).

Any thoughts I had of sticking it out another year just totally evaporated. I've REALLY enjoyed being off work (even when recuperating).

I just can't believe that they'll subject me to this stress level from day one. Come April 1, I'm done. The FIREcalc numbers are fine, there's nothing holding us back.

Just curious, did you say anything about "gee, not sure I'm up to doing Suzie' s job in addition to mine - any chance you can get me some help from another department" or whatever. Show your boss you need him/her to be a boss and help you get the job done.I mean, it's a long way till April.

Best wishes on a full recovery!

Amethyst

The events today most certainly set my 2014 retirement date in STONE. I'm recuperating from major surgery and was released to return to work on Monday. I get a call from my boss today and one of my co-workers has accepted a transfer and I'll be covering both jobs starting almost immediately and this will last into next year (or whenever the position is filled).

Any thoughts I had of sticking it out another year just totally evaporated. I've REALLY enjoyed being off work (even when recuperating).

I just can't believe that they'll subject me to this stress level from day one. Come April 1, I'm done. The FIREcalc numbers are fine, there's nothing holding us back.

Sorry to hear that. It is unfortunate they can't be more understanding with you just having had major surgery.

Just curious what happens April 1st. Do you vest in something by that date or do you just want a little more money saved?

My 55th BD is in March 2014, so April 1 is the first possible retirement date. And yes - I'm having a conversation with the boss re- workload.

If the 55 is for a pension, can't you quit now, live off savings until April and then start drawing your pension? Or is it more to be able to draw from your 401k penalty free?

If Firecalc numbers are fine, there may be other possibilities that will avoid the stress from now to April.

On the boss - I'd just say no - nicely - after all if you have a relapse then s/he'll really be in a bad spot if you and your transferring co-worker are not available.

If the 55 is for a pension, can't you quit now, live off savings until April and then start drawing your pension? Or is it more to be able to draw from your 401k penalty free?

I think the law for the 401K withdrawals penalty free is the year you turn 55, so that would make it Jan 1, if the 401K is the issue.

Wow - what a welcome back ! I would definitely tell the boss that you need help for at least the next 90 days. How much notice do you need to give before you retire ? 90 days from now gets you to January, and then you can give 90 notice and really make the boss worry !

re- just quit now. Believe me, I've thought about it. If I stay until April 1, I get retiree medical. It's not a great plan ($1000/mo probably), but DW and I both have pre-existing conditions. I know ACA changes all that, but I haven't looked into it. I should get ~$20k bonus in Feb/March and of course a new set of vacation days Jan 1.

I'll just have to push back. Sadly, no one will look out for me other than me. If it gets really bad, I'll get with my physician and see what my options are for a limited work release from him.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom