How many times have you broken a bone?

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's ankle injury prompted me to add up all the times I've broken bones.

On separate occasions, I have broken my left collarbone twice, my right wrist, my left wrist, and my foot for a total of 5. Add in ACL reconstruction if you like for 6. Five of these were sports related (I play basketball almost daily and help coach an AAU team). Maybe I am not as coordinated as I think I am or my opponents who caused most of these injuries are rougher than they should be. I just don't think I am accident-prone as I have never broken a bone while bike racing despite ample opportunity to do so.

How about you? (Cuts and stitches don't count in this unscientific poll.)

Only my nose, hit in the face with a bad-hop grounder. And my thumb is missing a ligament, I think, because it bends backwards pretty well after a skiing accident. Neither of these resulted in a trip to the doctor, actually have never been to the doctor as far as I can remember. Just let it heal, and eventually it stopped hurting on its own.

None, even though I played sports all through school, very lucky I guess...

I believe (not certain) that I broke a rib on a slip & slide when I was about 35. It hurt for a couple of years. The only other break I know of was last summer when I flew off a mountain bike and broke my wrist. I hope I can avoid it from here on out. It is a PITA.

Once. Fell off the back of a golf cart trying not to spill my beer and not hurt myself. Failed on both attempts. Broke my wrist and lost the beer. :(

One broken wrist while trying to teachmy six year old to skate. A fifteen year old plowed into me and sent me tumbling... One broken ankle which was work related. I was late to work, stepped out the door with a cup of coffee, purse, coat, etc in my hands and missed the step in the dark.

I knew golf was expensive, but I didn't realize it was so dangerous...

Yeah! Hey, get this. Yesterday one of my playing parters hit a terrible tee shot that barely got off the ground. The ball hit a wooden crosstie that was just above the level of the tee box. The ball almost hit the guy in the head and it wound up about a 100 yards behind the tee box. I almost fell out of my golf cart laughing, potentially endangering my previously broken wrist.

Don't let anyone tell you golf is not a high impact sport!:D

Once. Fell off the back of a golf cart trying not to spill my beer and not hurt myself. Failed on both attempts. Broke my wrist and lost the beer. :(

LOL... you are not as good as the guy in England I knew....

He was walking and slipped... was falling backward with a mug of beer... landed hard on his back, but not a drop spilled!!!

Broke nose in high school. Playing hated rival in baseball, and just before the bench clearing incident, I was hit in the face by a fast ball while at bat. Years later broke nose again while playing golf. My partner (a lawyer) said, "I think that guy just hit the ball", when I turned to look the big flash occurred. Later I told my partner that anyone else would have yelled FORE, but I knew in that split second he was thinking what a good case this would be. Much less dramatic was the fracture I suffered while showing my kids how agile I was on their swing set.....it was only a finger with that trick.

Yeah! Hey, get this. Yesterday one of my playing parters hit a terrible tee shot that barely got off the ground. The ball hit a wooden crosstie that was just above the level of the tee box. The ball almost hit the guy in the head and it wound up about a 100 yards behind the tee box. I almost fell out of my golf cart laughing, potentially endangering my previously broken wrist.

Don't let anyone tell you golf is not a high impact sport!:D

LOL.... and I thought I was the only one to have seen something like this...

we were playing a scramble (back when I played)... it was one of two holes for the longest and shortest drive prizes... so one of our big hitters had a mighty swing... but hit it hard and low... to the left where a fence was.. it hit the fence and came screaming back toward us... and was about maybe 50 or so yards behind us.... we said he had the 'shortest' drive... but he did not qualify as you had to get past the woman's tee box... we argued he DID get it past there but it did not end up past... sorry.. he does not win...

I gave a mighty swing... and dribble it about one foot short of the rope that would have qualified for the shortest drive :eek:

OK... I am rambling on this thread.... but now for my REAL answer...

I broke a finger in junior high... but did not know it at the time... it hurt like the dickens.... it was the 'last' knuckle on my middle finger... it is now crooked a bit... so no doctor...

had both bones in my forearm snapped when playing 'kill the man with the ball'... this big guy just landed right on top of it and SNAP...

That's it for me....

Just to pull your chain a bit....

But would that not be '2' instead of 'none' :confused:

You're right! I guess broken toes just seem so minor compared with a broken arm or leg, that I hesitate to count them. :) Actually I don't even remember if I broke my toe 2, 3, or 4 times - - at least twice (all during my early 30's), but after a while I got pretty blase about it.

The first time, I had to have the toe set/realigned by a couple of huge emergency room technicians pulling on it (ouch!) so that was more major, but the other time(s) it wasn't misaligned - - so all I needed was a splint and some tape or to tape it to the adjacent toe.

By the way - - my broken toes taught me that there is a very GOOD reason not to possess a massive, magnificent, unbelievably heavy oak coffee table. No more oak coffee table = = no more broken toes. It also helps that I am no longer trying to keep up with a toddler, too.

Last edited:
Broke my left little toe walking around the house barefoot in the dark.

Bill Cosby had a routine about toes and furniture: Something about your ego telling your hand not to turn on the light, and your toes begging you to turn on the light.

Last edited:
Broke my left little toe walking around the house barefoot in the dark.

Same here except it wasn't dark but I was in a hurry. I was a teenager at the time. My left little toe nicked a baseboard.

Nose,collar bone,thumb,thumb again

thumbs were from football, collar bone got pushed off a fence and nose was a punch from a fist

None so far, although when I was thrown from my bike going 15-20 mph a couple of years ago I thought for sure I was going to break something. One inch open gash just below my right knee, strained ligaments on my left hand ring finger, strained ligaments in my left foot, and a small dent in my helmet were the result of the fall.

I broke my left arm and left leg when I was 3 while making contact with the dashboard and windshield during a car accident. A couple of nice gashes in my forehead, too. Carseats weren't common back then.

No broken bones but a number of sports injuries - tore up my ankle in my 20's playing soccer - ended up in plaster for a few weeks.

Also in my 20's I dislocated a finger quite badly playing soccer - needing re-setting plus many stitches - also had stitches in the head from playing cricket that same year.

Ruptured a disc in my back playing soccer at 35 needing surgery

Tore knee ligament in my knee at 40 needing surgery.

at 48 had surgery on both shoulders (de-compression) to get me back able to play tenns again.

Out of all my injuries spraining my ankle was the worst! Almost made me cry :'( Still cringe

Back
Top Bottom