How many TV sets do you have in your house? POLL

How Many Active TV's in Your Home?

• Total voters
One, in the living room: a 10-year-old Sony Trinitron CRT. OTA, no cable.

I watch it a few hours a week (PBS News Hour while making dinner), but most of my viewing these days is on my tablet or laptop (Hulu, Netflix, AmazonPrime).

Last edited:
We have 2-3 per home. TV's used to be a luxury item. Not any more. In the process of going cableless and will just use Internet now that live sports can be streamed.

We have 4, but are in a transition. I moved our main family room 50" to my workshop because we're getting a 65 or 75 for the family room soon. We have a 42" in the exercise room and a small TV above our bar that hardly ever gets watched. I need to put my old workshop TV up for sale.

Two active: family room and MBR
Two inactive, currently in basement but not plugged in. One of these is a 9 inch CRT with VHS player that we used in the car to keep kids entertained on long trips, about 15 years old now.

One in the family room is a 45" led. Had a 50" that conked out the day b4 superbowl and target I went to had a 45" on sale for less than I would have paid for insurance on the 50" three years earlier. Pretty much only used to view netflix and movies on dvds.

When kids were at home before downsizing and sending some of their TV's with them to college and new homes we had five tvs.

Since tvs are old tech might be more enlightening to ask how many monitors, tablets, smart phones, and tvs we now have. For us two.
2 tablets
1 tv
3 laptops (1 work owned)
2 smart phones
4 monitors on this desktop

essentially 12 places to point our faces on any given day. lol.

1 in the living room, but no cable, just a roku box. I run HULU on it. The tv is about 10 years old and maybe 23 inches? Guess we are not that into it....

Two.

1. seldom used 32" LCD HDTV in the living room hooked up to an attic antenna.

2. 50" Panasonic plasma HDTV in the basement.

Will get rid of the latter only when pried from my cold, dead hands.

Watch far more often than is good for me...

Last edited:
The cottage has a 55" TV as well but no cable on no OTA reception either. Just used for DVD/Blu Ray and USB movies that the kids download for us at home. No internet at the cottage either. At home, the children's laptops and smartphones have effectively become TVs.

Only one, its enough.

Two. But only because we recently purchased a new bigger, better, one. We recently moved into a home. The previous owner had tv's in the kitchen, bedroom, den, and basement rec room. Just two of them. Cannot imagine needing that much access given what is on the tube today.

The old one is never used. Going to give it away to someone who needs one.

We only need one.

We have a total of 5 flat screen TVs in the house. One in the living room that you can also see from the kitchen and dining room. Master bedroom and guest room each has one. There is also one in the den. The biggest flat screen is in the family room in the basement. It is a nice big Samsung smart TV. It is used primarily for football and baseball games.

1 in the living room.
1 in the kitchen area (there's a couch and casual dining table.)
1 in a bedroom we use as an exercise room.

None are in bedrooms. Rarely are two on at the same time, except rarely if DH or I are in the kitchen making dinner, and the other is watching news in the living room. Unfortunately, you can't see the living room tv from the kitchen... Sometimes younger son will use the family room tv to stream netflix. But mostly the kids stream youtube on their phones... They don't seem too interested in bigger screens.

Two.

One in my bedroom, Netflix, no cable programming.
A "Roku TV" downstairs in the guest living area- same setup except that the Roku hardware is built into it.
I've got an old CRT-type out in the garage- I suspect I wouldn't even be able to get rid of it as Free Stuff on Craigslist. I'll eventually end up paying for a recycling place to take it.

Just one. I probably watch it for an hour per month. DW watches when she gets in from w*rk, but increasingly prefers Netflix on her tablet which she can take anywhere in the house. Most TV output is garbage IMO (and we get UK TV, which is generally less dreadful than that of most countries). One of the many things that millennials get right and we boomers don't is not watching TV shows just because they are on. (Other things millennials get right include living in cities rather than suburbs, not having a car just because everyone has a car, and making appointments to call people on the phone, rather than interrupting them with a spontaneous call.)

Two: living room (the one we watch the most), and master bedroom (only DW watches that one). We have OTA, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, and Netflix on the living room TV and Netflix only on the bedroom TV. No cable TV.

:blush:I don't know. I ran through this house counting tvs and was surprised at what I found. Not sure what is in the other house.:cool:

Seeing people with as many as 6 TV's in an RV reminds me that I have one in my class C too. Had to install it myself as the motorhome did not have one when I bought it.

I used it very seldom. When on a trip we are often in places with no OTA signals, and it is often too much hassle to set up the sat dish. We are also too tired after a day of out-and-about to stay up late to watch TV.

We have 5 ( one in each of three bedrooms, the family room and the office.) Sorry to say we are cable news junkies. But I wanted to point out that we recently shaved our cable bill significantly by returning four boxes to Spectrum. And the four non box TV's obtain their Spectrum cable signal through the Spectrum internet connection, which I find to be a superior way to view, DVR, on demand and live TV without any cost.

Last edited:
Talking about TV's. Bought my first colour TV when I was 24 in 1974. Just got my job at the CPA firm and was making $10,000 per year. That TV (26 inch Zenith in a big wooden cabinet) cost $775. Almost 8% of my gross comp!! Talk about the prices coming down since then.

Hey, that's the same size I bought in 1980, except it was a Sylvania with "Supersound" option. Not sure exactly how much I paid, but it was probably around $700, so the price already came down quite a bit, considering inflation was high in the 70s. And I have the SS record on hand. I made $25,049 in 1980, my 1st job out of grad school.

I had to look it up. Inflation was 67% from 74 to 80, so your $775 became $1294 in 1980.

Inflation is 3.12x from 1980 till now. The $700 I paid in 1980 would be worth $2184 today.

PS. About not remembering what I paid for the TV, apparently my "superior memory" has its limits. Last year, going through my file cabinet to clean up stuff, I ran across the invoice of that TV. Did not keep it. :)

Last edited:
8 here! When we went from 2 houses to 1 we just kept them all and found a place for them at the new home.

Living room: 65" LCD
Office: 55" Plasma
Master: 50" Plasma
Guest Bdrm: 32" LCD
Patio: 42" LCD
Workshop: 23" LCD
Casita Living Room: 46" LCD
Casita Master: 34" LCD

I voted 8, but I don't think it's very meaningful (ie, not correlated with ongoing spending), for a couple reasons: 1) I have no set-top boxes (just a $5 cablecard rental) and my monthly cable+Internet bill is ~$107 all-in (not including Netflix), 2) TVs have gotten real cheap, so it's a commodity more than a luxury. 3) 2 of the TVs are also functioning as PC monitors. 4) the kids are all watching video on their PCs/laptops, rather than the big screen TVs.
I do have one significant luxury, my theater room, with 13' wide screen :p
Of the 8, there are only 4 that get daily use, and not all at the same time.

Last edited:
TVs are amazingly cheap nowadays, so the poll is more about people watching habit rather than how it impacts their spending.

Back
Top Bottom