How many times have you broken a bone?

I am 36 years old, and have broken only one bone. When I do something I don't believe in holding anything back. So in this case, my one broken bone would be my neck :). Flipped mountain biking, landing on my neck/shoulders.

Thought I broke my arm at first cause I was getting massive sharp pain there... Thumb, index, middle finger tingling... I decided that I tweaked a nerve, hiked out, went to the ER.. They decided not to take X-rays (yea I know, crazy)... 3 days later, I decide to goto my Primary Care Physician (PCP) who I have never seen... in the 10 years I've had "him" as my PCP...

I still have no idea why I decided to goto my PCP, I never goto the dr, unless I'm on my death bed... which means I goto the ER/Urgent care. PCP take an X-ray... says don't move, I'm putting a collar on you, and see here.. you have a "dislocated, fractured vertebra"... the scary thing is I could actually see it in the X-ray, a chip of bone, and things definatly didn't "line up" anymore... that means it was bad... usually I don't see anything the Dr or Vet is refering to in an x-ray... (seen more dog x-rays than human x-rays)

A couple days of traction where I had a bunch of weight hanging off screws "bolted" into my head... a few hours surgery, a titanimum plate, a couple screws later... and about 2 years recovery time (took way longer than I thought it would)...

I'm back to riding. I don't do as much crazy downhill stuff that I did (I walk stuff that before I would have bombed down without even thinking about it), alot more road over mountain biking, and I am always very careful to tell somebody where I will be, and when to check on me to see if I'm back, or out laying on the trail bleeding to death. :)

Laters,
-d.

Many times my friends and I did things stupid enough to get mention here. However, I didn't break any bones. What it took was me and DS racing down our block. DS was about 3 and I was running backwards. Tripped over a tree root and straight-armed the ground. Can any of you pronounce scaphoid?

None, but being a woman and not playing contact sports probably helps.

Once, flying over the handlebars of a mountain bike. Donheff, I broke my left wrist, which did you break?

On separate occasions, I have broken my left collarbone twice, my right wrist, my left wrist, and my foot for a total of 5. Add in ACL reconstruction if you like for 6. Five of these were sports related (I play basketball almost daily and help coach an AAU team).
Maybe I am not as coordinated as I think I am or my opponents who caused most of these injuries are rougher than they should be.
I just don't think I am accident-prone as I have never broken a bone while bike racing despite ample opportunity to do so.
I've heard that "insanity" is defined as repeating your actions while expecting different results.

At least in taekwondo I get to wear body pads, a helmet, and orthopedic knee braces. Sounds like your basketball league needs to either change the rules or change the equipment.

A collarbone (sledding as a kid) plus 4-5 sprained ankles, two ACLs, and most of a knee's worth of cartilage...

First bone on my left index finger in preschool trying to pick up a little piece of glitter out of the carpet while simultaneously riding in a wooden rocking boat-like thing.

Being a clever boy, I tried to time it so that the rocking boat was up in the air while I was grabbing for the glitter. My mistake was grabbing and missing and then making a split second decision to try to grab a second time. Rocking boat came down on the finger.

It was less memorable for the pain than for that being the first time I won an argument with my Dad - I said it was broken and my Dad didn't think so. It was barely broken anyway -- more like the bone just was cracked.

2Cor521

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom