How to figure out which diet is for you

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Maybe I was the only one who never heard of fast and slow oxidation of foods in the body before, but, once I found out about this on the net, it made total sense why I lose on high protein/fat/low carb diets like Atkins vs. the high veggie/fruit type diets as I have the traits of a fast oxidizer.
There is tons on the net about this (for those interested), but her is one good article. If you scroll down, you will find samples of traits of high vs. slow oxidizers:

The ARL Newsletter

The only negative that happened to me on Atkins the other time I did it was my cholesterol went somewhat high, which was brought down by eating more chicken and fish (I was eating alot of steak then). HOWEVER, a kid I grew up with--with an i.q. off the charts (I think he was skipped twice)--is a physician that does research and writes books for physicians to learn from. He said more-or-less, "Cholesterol-schmesterol...don't worry about it. It's over-hyped."
Are others aware of this high oxidation vs. slow oxidation of their foods? Any further information on it you can share?

Check out the Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain. It made the most sense to me. Get back to what was natural for us. Example-meat is fine-real meat-not the hormone and antibiotic injected corn fed high fat stuff we eat. One hundred years ago it took pigs five years to reach a weight of 135 lbs. Today it reaches 230 lbs in 6 months.

Not sure why I "entered" this thread. Not sure why I am responding. Not sure what diet is best for me.
I bet one of you can handle the last question. PM me.

I think Jillian Michaels (Biggest Loser chick) bases her diet on oxidation rates. I don't know if it works or not as I've never tried it.

I second the paleo type of diet. I never felt so great when I was doing low carb / paleo - wish I hadn't gone off, but I've been back on it now for the last few days.

Check out the following blogs:
Free The Animal
Periodic Photo Progress Update | Free The Animal
and
Mark's Daily Apple

What I'd like to know is how our even more recent ancestors (ie grandparents) stayed so slim. I was looking at pictures recently of a 1940's or 1950's street scene and everyone was skinny. And they didn't muck around with paleo, low carb, low fat, vegetarian or anything. Is it just that there was no processed food?

What I'd like to know is how our even more recent ancestors (ie grandparents) stayed so slim. I was looking at pictures recently of a 1940's or 1950's street scene and everyone was skinny. And they didn't muck around with paleo, low carb, low fat, vegetarian or anything. Is it just that there was no processed food?

In the case of my paternal grandparents they were farmers who ate little that was not produced on their or a neighboring farm. They also worked long hard hours. My grandfather for a mid morning snack would take the left over bacon grease from breakfast, spread it on a thick slice of bread and eat it with cold tea. He lived to 90

In the case of my paternal grandparents they were farmers who ate little that was not produced on their or a neighboring farm. They also worked long hard hours. My grandfather for a mid morning snack would take the left over bacon grease from breakfast, spread it on a thick slice of bread and eat it with cold tea. He lived to 90
I know what you mean Bruce, my dad is 90 and in great shape. Finally decided this year that he wasn't going to put in 15 hour days anymore in the spring and fall helping my brother out on his farm. I remember having roast beef, picking off the fat and my dad saying that that was the best part and eating it off our plates. He did the bacon grease thing too.

There's been a lot of research lately showing that saturated fat isn't the devil that we've been told it was for years.
Saturated fat and heart disease: studies old and new | The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

I just get on a scale every morning and if it reads above 150 lbs I eat less for a while. No problem.

It must be in the inherited genes though, as both of my sisters have had difficulty controlling their weight all their lives. But I'm the one who at 21 had to pump iron and eat five meals a day with additional snacks of bananas and milkshakes to get up to 145 lbs to meet the (then) minimum weight standard of the police dept. Friends accused me of having a tapeworm. I squeaked in by 1/4 of a pound. I'm 5'9".

I remember complaining about how hard it was to gain weight and my older sister was completely unsympathetic. She said "I hate you! If I look at a piece of cake I gain five pounds and if you skip a meal you lose five." Which was not far from the truth.

I just get on a scale every morning and if it reads above 150 lbs I eat less for a while. No problem.

It must be in the inherited genes though, as both of my sisters have had difficulty controlling their weight all their lives.

I hate you too Walt. :mad::ROFLMAO::mad:

Seriously, that's a smart way of monitoring your weight. My grandmother used to do the same thing with weighing herself every day and she was like me when she was younger -- built to survive famines or a downed plane in the Andes. She fried everything in bacon grease too come to think of it. Man, she was a good cook.

I remember complaining about how hard it was to gain weight and my older sister was completely unsympathetic. She said "I hate you! If I look at a piece of cake I gain five pounds and if you skip a meal you lose five." Which was not far from the truth.[/QUOTE]

I have a cousin who is just like you, Walt34. She actually has gone to the Dr. to see how she can gain weight. Naturally, I hate her, too.:mad: And she never has gained any weight even tho she has rhuemetoid arthritis and can't walk. Good grief! If I sat in a wheelchair for 5 years I'd be 350 lbs....doggoneit! And she eats 3 full hearty meals a day still! (This goes in the "Some People have All the Luck" file.)

Just seems odd to me that I just found out about oxidation rates, which seems so basic to me. What are these other diet "gurus" doing then? Other than hawking their crap?
Is Jillian Michaels the only one talking about oxidation rates and diet? There seems to be quite abit on the net about it when I look, and it makes so much logical sense.

Paleo diet? I had to look it up, but looks like those Paleo's had lots of fun back then:
"Another paleo high would have been eating cannabis leaves. "

Ditto, except lately my datum is 170 lbs. Daily (1st thing in AM, before eating) weigh-ins are important. It sets the bar for more or less food consumption and activity.
I am a firm believer in the "put the fork down" diet and "do some constant light activity" exercise regimen. I truly admire those who have the discipline to go exercise at gyms, but I know that is not for me. I would rather spend 30 minutes walking back and forth push-shovelling snow or 2 hours in the garden or reorganize/declutter a room or go up and down my stairs all day.

Since this thread is useless without video - here's one of the Tapeworm Diet. Ugh, these people have obviously never seen some of these things being coughed up by a cat on a farm.

YouTube - The Tyra Banks Show ''The Tapeworm Diet''

Even Dr. Andrew Weil is dropping to low carb. Here's a couple of episodes with Gary Taubes, Mehmet Oz, (who seems to do a lot of good helping keep Oprah chubby), Jillian Michaels and Andrew Weil:

YouTube - 1 of 2 Gary Taubes on Larry King Live 10/19/2007
YouTube - 2 of 2 Gary Taubes on Larry King Live 10/19/2007

Mehmet Oz is an arrogant schmuck.

Low carb rules. At 68 I weigh less than I did at 18, I am strong, I look pretty good, and I have never gone hungry in my life unless I was somewhere where I could not find enough to eat.

My dance partner stays pretty thin, but she goes on weight watchers at least 6 times per year. Why? Though she likes sweets, she is too vain to let herself get very fat. She would rather eat sweets even at the cost of dieting strictly for a while every month or so. She is one of those scale every morning types. OTOH, I get weighed at my doctor's office. It never changes.

Usually men are defeated by beer, women by sweets. It's almost an axiom of sociology.

Ha

I don't drink beer and I don't like very sweet things, so even when I do eat something sweet, I would eat, say, 1/4 of a donut and I am quite satisfied. I am 5 foot 4.5 inches 123 lbs. I was like 110 lbs when I was younger, but I think I was too skinny. I've been around 123 lbs for a very long time.

My thing is white food - I gain weight if I eat any substantial amount of white food, like rice and wheat. So I do portion control on the white food. When I do eat the white food, I make sure and eat a generous amount of protein with it.

I was watching my friend's home video from the early 60's last year and what I noticed was that everyone (the video probably showed a total of 50 people - my friends' family members, their relatives and neighbors) on the video was thin. Very thin. They used to bake pies with lard in those days and use bacon grease for cooking etc, etc. I heard somewhere that our consumption of sugar has more than doubled in the last couple of decades... that's gotta be bad for you.

1) These people were physically very active - at least a lot of walking if not physical labor.
2) Minimally processed food. Little fast food/convenience foods.
3) Food was not cheap - people tended to eat fewer calories.

Audrey

Mehmet Oz is an arrogant schmuck.

Low carb rules. At 68 I weigh less than I did at 18, I am strong, I look pretty good, and I have never gone hungry in my life unless I was somewhere where I could not find enough to eat.

My dance partner stays pretty thin, but she goes on weight watchers at least 6 times per year. Why? Though she likes sweets, she is too vain to let herself get very fat. She would rather eat sweets even at the cost of dieting strictly for a while every month or so. She is one of those scale every morning types. OTOH, I get weighed at my doctor's office. It never changes.

Usually men are defeated by beer, women by sweets. It's almost an axiom of sociology.

Ha

Realized that when Oz got into acupuncture and other woo crap.

1) These people were physically very active - at least a lot of walking if not physical labor.
2) Minimally processed food. Little fast food/convenience foods.
3) Food was not cheap - people tended to eat fewer calories.

Audrey

Not to mention these folks just went through the Depression and a world war. Lots of rationing, shortages and physical labor. That mentality persisted for quite a while among the folks that lived through it.

Best diet is the one that works for you and you can sustain. If you're looking for long term weight loss a fad diet won't do that for you. They shed pounds fast, but they are not sustainable (nutritionally or mentally). You need a lifestyle change and a diet that is satisfying and nutritious. You need to get some exercise too. Even walking for 20-30 minutes a day can do the trick.

I was on Weight Watchers for a year and a half and finally quit paying them for the online tracker because I can do it in my head. I also found my habits changed. I don't eat crackers out of the box, I take a hand full and put them in a bowl. I used to feel starved on my bag lunch, but now its plenty. I used to get horrible cravings after dinner, but now I eat a few small snacks and I'm fine. When I go out to eat I opt for a salad or one single burger instead of two double burgers and feel better when I'm done eating. I'm losing a pound or two a week and some times none (Superbowl), but I am losing. I was 380, now 315. Should be about 250ish (I would weigh about 200-210 with 0% body fat). I may never get there but my diet (lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, blah, blah, blah) has me with low cholesterol, normal blood pressure and I am healthier than I have been since my 20s. The key is eating well and knowing how much I should eat.

Just got back from a cruise. I confirmed that all the bacon you can eat plus eating 12 hours a day non stop is a definite weight gain program!

6 lbs in 7 days!

Just got back from a cruise. I confirmed that all the bacon you can eat plus eating 12 hours a day non stop is a definite weight gain program!

6 lbs in 7 days!
Impressive! As long as you don't continue with the habit but get right back to how you ate before, this should come off as quickly.

Audrey

6 lbs in 7 days!

Yeah, this is one of many weight gain programs that works for me as well :whistle:

I find that Weight Watchers works for me since I'm allowed to eat anything (in moderation of course) :D.

Back
Top Bottom