Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am a native of south Texas, and I've had about all the humidity down there that I would ever want. Even more than that, I absolutely HATE the desert and dry air.

If i have to have humidity, I would pick the humidity in OREGON.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've always lived in a high humidity area. Don't particularly like it, but whenever I have traveled to places like Arizona or Denver, I always get a lot of sinus congestion, which does not totally clear up until I get back to my "high humidity" area.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #23

After enjoying the low humidity in San Jose, I moved back home to Ohio. I would never have made the move without air conditioning - which makes summer much more pleasant. I grew up w/o air conditioning in Ohio and the humidity was just dreadful.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
But in my experience, 85°F with very high humidity (Tampa FL) is more uncomfortable than 100°F with low humidity (Dallas TX - 'but it's a dry heat').
I can relate to this. I remember my youth (ages 6-10) growing up in Mojave Desert, where it rained 3-4 times a year. Days when it got into the 100's I felt comfortable sitting under a tree...

From that I moved to Montgomery Alabama, ages 10-12 and couldn't stand to be outside if it got above 80. I remember sweat accumulating on my skin when it was 78 out and I was just sitting on a bench under a tree. Hard to tell if it was sweat, or condensation from the air. Some days it felt like the air had over 100% humidity... like walking through a sauna.

This could be a case of extremes. Clearly my body was used to the dry heat... but the thought has carried with me ever since. I'll take low humidity 90s over humid 70's any day.

Where I currently live I get a little of both. In the winter it gets pretty dry, and in the summer we see 90% humidity fairly often. Love the fall/spring, where you get a good transition/mix of both.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #25

High humidity avg.:
Most Humid Cities in USA - Current Results:

Avg, in your town by month:

Average Relative Humidity(%)

Averages lie.
Today in my town.
16F Wind Chill -2F ........ Last year, same day High 87F

Ya don't like the weather? Wait a minute!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Despise hot sticky. Lived in So. Fl. for three horrible summers. Icky. Give me a Sacramento day of 100+ and lo humidity ANY day. Way better, IMHO.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
I prefer the low humidity. The only thing I hate about the low humidity is the static shock that I frequently get. Like when I get off the car, open the door or touch an electronic device. Fortunately, I have not zapped any of these devices.
How funny--this reminded me of my first time out of the south, when I was 17 and went to Washington DC for an internship. It was winter and every day I got to the office, I shocked myself on the door handle. My (Tennessee born) boss laughed when he saw the full-size can of Static Guard I carried in my purse!

When I watched Office Space again the other night for the billionth time, I saw that the door-static-shock was also part of the Innotek torture chamber!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess the graphic is averages? For me, it's the heat/humidity combo that I hate. So IL may be lumped with FL, but I'd bet that there are many more days in FL that I would call uncomfortable for heat/humidity than in IL. We do get heat/humidity that is about as bad as anywhere, but only a few weeks a year.

A graphic that showed average days/year of uncomfortable heat/humidity would probably show more differentiation.

Cool humidity can be bad too, but we don't get much of that. But those posts by T-Al and the long, cool humid weather they have there just give me the creeps - I couldn't take that. We get a few days like that where everything is wet and slimy and yuck. No thanks.

edit/add: and low humidity in the winter here can take a toll, but with a furnace humidifier we get it into a comfortable range without a thought - humidistat takes care of that, and the furnace humidifiers drain as they run, so no significant build of minerals or slime.

-ERD50
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #29

Well all I can say is, I like humidity until its too humid and then I like it dry until its too dry, then I like humidity.....well you get it....right?.... Maybe I'm just picky.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #30

I can never figure out how I survived the hot, humid later part of summer in Tokyo (or any time for that matter in Singapore). Back in Central CA now, semi arid and wonderful. Summers are quite dry, none of the stickiness of Asian summers.

R
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #31

Living in Hong Kong, it's either humid or very humid (but at least we have seasons). During spring and summer we need to have the dehumidifiers on all the time.

Here's a table showing stress levels at various combinations of heat and humidity: http://www.sportmed.mb.ca/uploads/pd...ex%20Sheet.pdf
Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I guess the graphic is averages? For me, it's the heat/humidity combo that I hate. So IL may be lumped with FL, but I'd bet that there are many more days in FL that I would call uncomfortable for heat/humidity than in IL. We do get heat/humidity that is about as bad as anywhere, but only a few weeks a year.

A graphic that showed average days/year of uncomfortable heat/humidity would probably show more differentiation.
Do you have one to share?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you have one to share?
No, it was just an observation/comment, not a criticism (which seems to be the way you took it?). Your chart kicked off the discussion, so I think it served its purpose. I think my comment of averages was relevant to the discussion, so I mentioned it.

If/when I plan a move, I will look into detailed climate info, and uncomfortable humidity days/year will be big on my list. But I'm not going to take the time to search a national chart like that now, I have no need for it.

-ERD50
Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
No, it was just an observation/comment, not a criticism (which seems to be the way you took it?). Your chart kicked off the discussion, so I think it served its purpose. I think my comment of averages was relevant to the discussion, so I mentioned it.

If/when I plan a move, I will look into detailed climate info, and uncomfortable humidity days/year will be big on my list. But I'm not going to take the time to search a national chart like that now, I have no need for it.

-ERD50
Well alrighty! Have a happy day...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

It's the second day of Spring here in New England and a balmy 34 degrees. I have lived where it is hot and dry but plan to head southeast to hot and humid. Hot and dry brings with it brush and or forest fires, something I experienced once and that is enough. Nothing wrong with a little sweat.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #36

Here's one by climate type, the legend is a little small

http://www.bonap.org/Climate%20Maps/climate48shadeA.png

And more from the same place

Climate Types
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You can't make me!

Day of happiness

-ERD50
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #38

I've played golf in Phoenix when it's 110 and it's doable, just need to stay hydrated. I've also played golf in the southeast when it was 95 and high humidity and not so doable, could never keep my hands dry and it's very uncomfortable doing anything in sweat drenched clothing.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #39

Quote:
No, that was yesterday!

I was surprised that the map showed both the Bay Area and south TX as semi-arid. They feel very different to me, so semi-arid must comprise a wide range of temps and humidity.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #40

I like humidity around 40 to 50% The further away the more annoying it gets.