I Honestly Knew That Life Was Going Too Smoothly

I was DX in 1994 again in 2011. Over the years, conversations with nurses (many who were already friends), Oncologists, cancer health care workers, the advice given more than anything else was "attitude." Stay positive, keep a good attitude, they say that's 90% of the good fight. Second and third opinions always help. I never relied on one doctors opinion. Even had 2nd opinions on pathology report. Pathologists differ in DX the type of cancer and its aggressiveness. I'm cancer free, so far. Remember, everyone has cancer cells.

Keeping you and your family in my prayers...please post here and let us all support you as much as we can...

As you can see, you have friends here who care. We never know what the future may bring... today, tomorrow, or 20 years from now. The important thing is to live with hope, love and understanding.
Hope... twice for us cancer for me in 1989, and stroke for jeanie 1993.
Love... more than ever
Understanding... hard, but over time the only way to come to an inner peace.

Our best wishes to both of you, as you go forward. :flowers:

Diagnosis of cancer is indeed a terrifying news, but it is beatable.

Seeing that you are in AZ, I will say that in Phoenix there's now a joint cancer treatment center by Banner and MD Anderson. Ironwood Cancer Center also has all the latest equipment in this field. There are several others.

People always say to seek out the highest rated cancer treatment centers, but the type of cancer is important to know. If the cancer is of the more common and easy to treat type, they always start out with the usual treatments. And hopefully, that works and that's it. The fancy centers will not do anything more for you. They are not going to escalate to a fancy and iffy experimental drug immediately, if you do not need it. And hopefully, you do not need it, just like most patients who do not need it.

My best wishes to your wife and yourself.

Last edited:
I remember the day when my wife was diagnosed with cancer. I was in Phoenix for a meeting and got a message slip at the door of my room at 10:00 p.m. to call home. I called my boss who was with me and grabbed a red eye home. Got back at 5:00 a.m. and I joined her in bed while we cried together.

I won't go into the type of cancer and the prognosis but the best thing to go is be a team on this. Draw close to friends and willingly accept help if you need it. Most importantly if you have a faith, pray.

I remember the shocked feeling very well from when I got similar news.

My best wishes to your wife and you!

Sorry to hear this news. You and your wife are in my thoughts as I hope for the best possible outcome. Many here have been in your shoes - you have support here.

I remember the shock and fear of the news when my wife and I were told about my lymphoma. Everyone handles it differently but I have few pieces of advice.

1) take care of BOTH of you. I felt it was harder on my wife than it was on me. I just put my head down and got through the chemo, she had to try to take care of me and our boys/household.

2) exercise it at all possible. There is lots of research that shows that exercise helps reduce symptoms of treatment and improves rate of recovery.

3) be willing to discuss options for meds with your doctors. I just took what they told me and suffered from major nausea/fatigue. It turns out some of the meds that I took to help with nausea (not with killing the cancer) actually made things worse for me (I guess individuals handle things differently). Once I stopped taking one of those meds, my nausea improved.

4) ask docs about current research studies. My oncologist isn;t part of a research hospital so wasn’t following/participating in studies aggressively. While my chemo was very effective at eliminating my cancer, studies have shown one of the chemicals can cause long term damage to ones muscles. It would have been good to know about it ahead of time and discuss ways to mitigate.

I am sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis. I can only imagine the state of shock that you both are feeling.

You have received good information here. I wish you the best of luck and take care of both of you.

Coming up on my third year anniversary and I'll echo other survivors and spouses here: get the best treatment, support and advice you can find.

For me, the diagnosis period was the hardest. Once treatment started, we focused on getting through each phase (chemo, surgeries and radiation). Although it was tough, it was emotionally less challenging than the diagnosis period. Wishing successful treatment and great outcomes for her.

I am so very sorry to hear this news. I won't repeat the good advice already posted, but know that you can always come here for support, decent advice and yes...even to bitch and moan as needed.

SO sorry to hear this. Give yourself time to absorb what's happening and then go fight and beat this thing! I've seen many cancer survivors in the past 10 years - and that includes a couple people with "poor prognosis". Modern medicine can be amazing.....

I remember how devastating it was to hear this 10 years ago when DH was diagnosed. It was terrifying. He's in full remission now - the strides they've made are amazing.

I'll keep you both in my prayers. Keep us posted, please.

Wow, so many stories here. Cancer sucks, I have had several family members diagnosed.
Sending healing thoughts and prayers. Take care and know so many of us on ER forum are here for you.

Hang in there. My sister was diagnosed a few months back and rocked the entire family tree. Something that helped me stay positive with the diagnosis was the notion that indeed medical trials are breaking through every week. There might be a new effective trial out next week that wasn't this week. Seek multiple opinions from multiple experts. Sorry to hear the unfortunate news.

We (she) may be one of the lucky ones; it is the most common type of breast cancer and treatable. As long as it has not spread to the lymph nodes, it may be surgery (lumpectomy) and hormone suppression. We meet with the surgeon tomorrow.

Thanks for the update—sounds like a very hopeful case! Best to your DW and you.

We (she) may be one of the lucky ones; it is the most common type of breast cancer and treatable. As long as it has not spread to the lymph nodes, it may be surgery (lumpectomy) and hormone suppression. We meet with the surgeon tomorrow.

Great! If she can skip chemo, that's wonderful. Thinking of you both - ask the surgeon LOTS of questions. <3

Something that helped me stay positive with the diagnosis was the notion that indeed medical trials are breaking through every week. There might be a new effective trial out next week that wasn't this week.

It's good to be optimistic when fighting cancer. But be realistic about the trials. Most trials are experimental in nature (i.e, the outcome is not certain). Sometimes, trial development may take a long time before they are ready to start. And often, patients seek them out as the last resort (and won't qualify). Above was the case for my younger brother (RIP).

Best wishes for a successful outcome. Lean on family and friends, including here. Medicine is making great strides, have wonderful people (my wife is a nurse) to help you. Keep fighting, stay vigilant. Garner support.

As a very fortunate survivor, there is a benefit to this mayhem. It opens your eyes to what's important, whose important. Enjoy everyday.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

So glad to here it's treatable! Take care of yourselves, and do come here for whatever help and comfort we can give you - that's what communities are for, after all. :flowers:

Sending healing thoughts - my DW and I went through this back in 2006 and we can relate. Stay strong!

Back
Top Bottom