International and Domestic

Whisper9999

Recycles dryer sheets
Let's say I want to semi-retire early, which I think I can do in two to five years, and live half the year in the U.S. and the other half of the year in southern Italy, France or Spain. However, I will be in my mid-50's at the time and so I need good health insurance obviously. (Btw, I know there are less expensive places to live than southern Europe, but that's my dream - just love Europe.)

So here is my question: are there health insurers, with an HSA or without, that will insure you (at a pretty reasonable rate) such that you can live domestically or abroad and be covered?

I don't know that much about it and am wondering if such an animal even exists before I start planning and fantasizing about such a scenario.

I don't know the answer to your question but I love your plans. We'll be spending over 5 months in Europe this summer, including France and Spain.

I am fortunate to have group insurance through my ex-employer that covers overseas. However, that can always change so I'm interested in the responses to your question.

Thx. You posted in a somewhat similar thread that I started last year about retiring in France:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/health-insurance-in-w-europe-56992.html

The information in this thread was fantastic and much appreciated. However, things have changed a little for me since then and I don't see myself in the short-medium term being able to actually fully retire in Europe. This has to do with kids in college and other family/biz considerations.

However, I can definitely see living 3-6 months out of the year overseas in Europe and that's why I need an insurer that is flexible, reasonable to work with and not exhorbitant in costs for someone self-employed.

Hopefully someone else out there has been in this situation?

I don't know about retiring there or living there semi-permanently months at a time, but I'd love to spend at least a long summer there sometime in early retirement and see if I like it as much as I suspect I might. Any insights about insurance that can accommodate such a thing would be most welcome.

France and Spain have different approaches to providing healthcare with regard to insurance. There are perpetual traveler blogs that detail how they handle healthcare coverage internationally - perhaps that might help give you some ideas. Google perpetual traveler healthcare and see what you get.

France and Spain have different approaches to providing healthcare with regard to insurance. There are perpetual traveler blogs that detail how they handle healthcare coverage internationally - perhaps that might help give you some ideas. Google perpetual traveler healthcare and see what you get.

Thanks! Great tip and I just noticed that someone posted here.

Back
Top Bottom