T-Mobile international speed plan

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All,

We've been happy users of T-Mobile for several years - the first two trips to Europe we just used the default speed (T-Mobile is pretty darn transparent in Europe - or, at least what we experienced in England, Italy (including Sicily), France, Spain, and Germany - it was OK, but a bit slow when needing to navigate.

Last trip to Portugal we bought the 30 day, $50 speed upgrade plan - it was much better doing things like navigating with Waze, and it had free calling so no fear of accidentally answering some nitwit sales call.

We're getting ready to head out to same locations above, and adding Switzerland.

Can anyone offer thoughts - on their T-Mobile service - while in Europe recently?

Thanks!

Hi All,

We've been happy users of T-Mobile for several years - the first two trips to Europe we just used the default speed (T-Mobile is pretty darn transparent in Europe - or, at least what we experienced in England, Italy (including Sicily), France, Spain, and Germany - it was OK, but a bit slow when needing to navigate.

Last trip to Portugal we bought the 30 day, $50 speed upgrade plan - it was much better doing things like navigating with Waze, and it had free calling so no fear of accidentally answering some nitwit sales call.

We're getting ready to head out to same locations above, and adding Switzerland.

Can anyone offer thoughts - on their T-Mobile service - while in Europe recently?

Thanks!

I've always been very satisfied with the normal roaming service everywhere in Europe from my T-Mobile account.

But a couple of months ago I had a trip where I knew I would be out and about quite a bit without wifi access, so I got that $50 30-day high speed pass and actually used a lot of it. Will probably do it again if a similar trip is in my future.

My T-Mobile plan now provides each of us 5G of high speed data in Europe per month. I’m not expecting to need more than that. I look forward to trying it out soon.

So I haven’t bought a high speed data pass yet, but I know it’s an option.

I should have mentioned that I needed a lot because without wifi I was using my phone as a hotspot for my laptop. Ordinarily that wouldn't be needed.

I have Google Fi, which primarily uses the T-Mobile network here in the US.
But it also includes higher speed data, LTE and even 5G where available, in many foreign countries for the same $10/Gbyte price.
My records show I used about 4 GB during my three week trip to the UK and the Faroes in July and early August...

Hi All,

Thanks!
We were in England and Italy in May and bought the $50 speed upgrade for both our T-Mobile phones. It worked well for DH although most of the data usage was via hotel wifi. My phone however was stolen in Rome two days into the trip. Fortunately, having DH's phone we were able to contact T-Mobile within a few minutes of the theft and have my stolen phone disabled. I'd suggest that couples make sure each individual has full access to the account. DH only had access to his phone details, a situation that we couldn't rectify until we were back in the USA.

We were in the UK, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands in August. The data rates for walking around and navigating were underwhelming. I probably should have bought the higher speed option. Sometimes it was to LTE but no data coming in. Other times it showed 3G. Ugh.

I should add that I have an iPhone XR and will probably go with the newer one to be announced tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have high speed data on T-Mobile when traveling, which has been nice.

If I didn’t have that option, then I’d get an eSIM. Easy to install and cheap compared to alternatives.

I have high speed data on T-Mobile when traveling, which has been nice.

If I didn’t have that option, then I’d get an eSIM. Easy to install and cheap compared to alternatives.

Yes, normally the roaming is just fine with my normal T-Mobile account. I have the Plus add-on which gives me high speed when traveling.

Last time I went there I got an eSIM just out of curiosity, and switched between it and my normal account several times for a day or two each time. I wanted to see if the eSIM would have a noticeably faster service, but I never noticed any difference at all, so I won't do that again.

Signed up for thirty days/15 GB plan.

Will report back with anything negative.

We have been using T-Mobile international free roaming for the last few years. The data speed was often lousy but with some patience, it worked OK.

Just earlier this year, in the Scandinavian countries the speed was so decent that I was shocked. While on a cruise ship sailing in the narrow strait between Denmark and Sweden, I got 5G data rate while a few miles from shore. I immediately tethered my laptop to check up on my brokerage accounts, and son of a gun, it was faster than the ship Internet link.

By the way, it appears that the infrastructure of the Scandinavian countries is very well developed even though their population is small. I guess they spend their tax dollar wisely.

By the way, it appears that the infrastructure of the Scandinavian countries is very well developed even though their population is small. I guess they spend their tax dollar wisely.

I think all their carriers are private.

One of them was a state telecom but most European state enterprises were privatized 30 years ago.

Remember, Nokia and Ericsson were dominant in the '90s and the first half of the 2000s.

So they adopted GSM early, like in the '80s or '90s. All the European countries have strong competition too, with 3 or more about equally competitive mobile networks.

On T-Mobile, you can do a lot better for $50 than the T-Mobile pass with a local SIM.

Hoping at some point they make prepaid data bundles available via eSIM but a lot of these countries also require registration. That is, you can't be activated on their networks without the carrier having your passport number.

So eSIM may not happen. Instead, you can get eSIMs from some Asian companies which will roam in all the countries, including Europe. But they're not that competitive. They get into the $30 and above range rather quick if you want more than 5 GB of data.

We have been using T-Mobile international free roaming for the last few years. The data speed was often lousy but with some patience, it worked OK.

Just earlier this year, in the Scandinavian countries the speed was so decent that I was shocked. While on a cruise ship sailing in the narrow strait between Denmark and Sweden, I got 5G data rate while a few miles from shore. I immediately tethered my laptop to check up on my brokerage accounts, and son of a gun, it was faster than the ship Internet link.

Your T-Mobile plan may now have 5Gb of high speed international data included per month per line. They added this in 2022 I think. Not all plans have it, but the higher end ones like Magenta MAX do.

I think all their carriers are private...

Thx.

Hoping at some point they make prepaid data bundles available via eSIM but a lot of these countries also require registration. That is, you can't be activated on their networks without the carrier having your passport number...

How do you tell them your passport number? :confused:

The only time I bought a SIM in Europe was in 2003, while at a train station in Naples. Just dropped it in my phone and that was all it took.

There was no data back then, and I intended to use the phone to call the hotel in Sorrento in case we could not make it there that night due to train workers on strike. I ended up not having to make the call, so the SIM was not used for anything!

In countries where registration is required they xerox your passport.

I heard it’s for anti terrorism. In Italy when you check in they copy your passport partly because you will be using their WiFi.

In countries where registration is required they xerox your passport...

They, meaning the guy at the kiosk selling you the SIM?

I heard it’s for anti terrorism. In Italy when you check in they copy your passport partly because you will be using their WiFi.

Italian hotels have been xeroxing guests' passports forever, WiFi or not. Even Airbnb owners took a photo of my passport. It's their law.

On the other hand, other countries did not care. And when flying between Scandinavian countries, they did not even ask for my passport at the airports.

However, when I flew out of Oslo back to LAX, the immigration officer looked up/down my passport for the EU entry date. I had to tell him that I arrived in Lisbon, and walked right off the cruise ship without encountering any officer, immigration or custom. The Oslo guy just shook his head, stamped my passport, asked me for my EU entry date, then made some notes by hand on a sheet.

Last edited:
I never bought a SIM card at a kiosk.

Usually I go into the carrier stores and they have computer systems and that is where they xerox your passport. They register your SIM so it's working when you walk out the door.

In Australia though, you can get better deals at big supermarkets, which regularly have big sales. In that case, no passport copying, you just popped the SIM card in and it worked.

I dealt with international SIMs two different years, and never again! What a hassle they are, even when bought at carrier stores! Especially having a different number. I suppose eSIMs would be less hassle, but glad to not deal even with those.

I haven’t had to buy a T-Mobile international pass yet, and I don’t expect to on this upcoming trip either. I’ve always known it’s an option, but the now 5G of high speed data per line per month is more than I’ve had in past trips. Looking forward to it.

My younger son is currently in Italy on a semester abroad through his US University. He used the free T-Mobile for the first two weeks then signed up for a 90 day unlimited high speed data e-sim through holofly. It's fast and it was cheap ($99 for 90 days unlimited wifi and a local phone number.). It's much faster than the Wi-Fi included in his shared apartment. Perhaps because that is 7 college students/flatmates sharing the wifi.

He had to provide a picture of his passport to sign up... Italian law. He used his Italian passport... even citizens need to provide their IDs. (He's a dual citizen).

Off topic but addressing a comment earlier.... Fwiw all residents, temporary tourists or citizens have to register their living location in Italy. That's why they make copies of your passport .

Even Italian citizens living abroad have to register their addresses with their local consulate. So my husband and both sons are registered in the Los Angeles Italian consulate's AIRE database.

Edited to add: son hasn't used the local number. Everyone uses WhatsApp. His school, his internship bosses, his friends, and us.

I never bought a SIM card at a kiosk.

Usually I go into the carrier stores and they have computer systems and that is where they xerox your passport. They register your SIM so it's working when you walk out the door.

In Australia though, you can get better deals at big supermarkets, which regularly have big sales. In that case, no passport copying, you just popped the SIM card in and it worked.

My younger son is currently in Italy on a semester abroad through his US University. He used the free T-Mobile for the first two weeks then signed up for a 90 day unlimited high speed data e-sim through holofly. It's fast and it was cheap ($99 for 90 days unlimited wifi and a local phone number.). It's much faster than the Wi-Fi included in his shared apartment. Perhaps because that is 7 college students/flatmates sharing the wifi.

He had to provide a picture of his passport to sign up... Italian law. He used his Italian passport... even citizens need to provide their IDs. (He's a dual citizen)...

Thx. Obviously, Italian laws changed since I bought my first and only SIM card, way back in 2003.

Dang. How do bad guys get a "throwaway phone" in Italy? It's not fair. :)

He had to provide a picture of his passport to sign up... Italian law. He used his Italian passport... even citizens need to provide their IDs. (He's a dual citizen).

Did he have to upload a picture of his passport, since most people sign up for eSIMs online?

I believe Italian mobile carriers offer products for young people, maybe people below a certain age. Often they include unlimited social media and messaging and good amount of other data.

Off topic but addressing a comment earlier.... Fwiw all residents, temporary tourists or citizens have to register their living location in Italy. That's why they make copies of your passport .

Even Italian citizens living abroad have to register their addresses with their local consulate. So my husband and both sons are registered in the Los Angeles Italian consulate's AIRE database.

Edited to add: son hasn't used the local number. Everyone uses WhatsApp. His school, his internship bosses, his friends, and us.

Ahh, the Italians are pros at bureaucracy. I went briefly to medical school there and nearly tore my hair out with their student visa process. Once there, I had to get my codice fiscale and had I stayed go through their in country process for further visa processing...I did not stay long. I figure they've had thousands of years since the Roman Empire bureaucracy to truly perfect it...

Is your husband Italian?
All four of his grandparents emigrated from Sicily. He was born in Philly. So he's American, but also 100% Italian by blood.

I gathered the docs and got my husband (and therefore our minor kids - at the time) through the juris sanguinis citizenship process. So they've been dual citizens for over 10 years. Unfortunately, I didn't jump on getting my spousal citizenship at the time and they've since added a fluency language requirement for spousal applicants. (Law changed in 2018). So I'm studying via an online course through edx, duolingo, and a group of friends who are Italian.... but also looking at 2 months in Italy next year in an immersion language program followed by the official test. I can't apply for citizenship until I have that certificate. Another excuse to blow the dough and live abroad for a few months.

Back
Top Bottom