Is This A Magical Cure For Calf Cramps?

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last night I had calf cramps in one leg while in bed. Usually I can survive them by massaging the calf gently or when it is severe, DW can do the massaging. Last night the usual solution did not work.

After writhing in various positions w/ nothing working, I somehow came up w/ the following position. Lying on my back with the bad leg bent as shown in the crude picture below(head is flat on bed, not bent up as shown in pic)

..............bent
..............bad leg

foot of _/\___o head
bad leg

Almost "instantly" the pain disappeared........and it happened twice in separate
incidents. The conventional cure for calf cramps is to stand and put weight on the bad leg with the leg bent slightly. I've never been able to force myself to do that for fear of falling.

(hopefully the pic bears some resemblance to the original)

I used to have these issues in calves and / or toes.

Eating a banana or two daily helped. Then I mentioned to my Gastroenterologist who said it is a common side effect of acid reflux meds such as omeprazole. Now taking Pantoprazole & no issues with cramps or acid reflux.

I guess I'm not the only one who gets these. Standing has been the only solution that's worked for me.

I'll give your method a try next time.

I've also heard bananas (potassium) help. I think there's something to it; I do seem to get a lot fewer of these cramps if I have one with breakfast every day. Unfortunately bananas are bad luck and not allowed on a boat, so when I'm underway for any length of time I tend to get more cramps.

EDIT: Ken beat me to it on the banana thing. I'm not on any meds.

I guess I'm not the only one who gets these. Standing has been the only solution that's worked for me.

I'll give your method a try next time.

I've also heard bananas (potassium) help. I think there's something to it; I do seem to get a lot fewer of these cramps if I have one with breakfast every day.
+1 on all counts. Standing has been the only remedy that works for me (usually in the middle of the night), I’ll try the OPs method next time, and I’m back to having a banana with breakfast most days, haven’t had a calf cramp in quite a while. :)

I get them sometimes, and I've always ate bananas. I probably get them less since I started eating one at night as well as morning, but it still happens. I sometimes try to bend the leg like that, but it usually doesn't subside right away. Usually goes away in 10-15 seconds no matter what I do.

+1 on all counts. Standing has been the only remedy that works for me (usually in the middle of the night), I’ll try the OPs method next time, and I’m back to having a banana with breakfast most days, haven’t had a calf cramp in quite a while. :)

I had one last night and get them occasionally.... had to rush to get out of bed... stand on it for a few seconds and it subsides. My 87 yo aunt, who is visiting us, swears by these:

819mfEEynFL._SL1500_.jpg

My husband gets them frequently. What works for him is a hot shower. We are blessed to be in a co-op where the hot water system is instant-on.

I take magnesium.

Calf/foot cramps are the only side effect I still experience from my ketogenic diet. I don’t know why.

..................Unfortunately bananas are bad luck and not allowed on a boat, so when I'm underway for any length of time I tend to get more cramps.

I guess I can still learn something every day even tho I've seen so many decades...............I thought this was Hawaiian superstition but looks like it's universal. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/banana-ban/

Magnesium citrate

cheap, and works well

Have not had leg cramps in years

Used to get them often, sometimes quite bad ones

bananas or other potassium sources were recommended, but never helped me

Flexing your toes toward your head works without having to stand up (like when you're tucked in tightly and need a fast remedy).

Pointing my feet down when I stretch in bed, awake or asleep, is usually what brings on the calf cramp.

I also get foot cramps while swimming.

My doctor swears by Apple Cider Vinegar with The Mother.

I told him he was a quack (we have a good relationship) and promised to give it a try anyway. Turns out, since I started sipping that stuff daily, I rarely get foot cramps and can't remember the last calf cramp.

Placebo? Real? I don't know, except it works for me. Just a tablespoon or two per day, diluted. Maybe it is just the hydration from the dilution helping. :)

For DW and I, we usually just grab the big toe on the offending leg and pull it back tightly for less than 30 seconds and the muscle causing the cramp relaxes.

Flexing your toes toward your head works without having to stand up (like when you're tucked in tightly and need a fast remedy).

Pointing my feet down when I stretch in bed, awake or asleep, is usually what brings on the calf cramp.

+1

I have several "near cramps" in my right calf every day, usually when stretching or pointing my toes down. As soon as I feel the cramp coming on, I immediately point my toes back toward my head, which relaxes the muscle and stops the cramp from happening. I haven't had an "actual cramp" in several years.

A walk to the fridge and two sips from the pickle juice jar does the trick for me. :)
+1 and/or mustard. Did anyone watch US Open when Stephonos Tsitsipas had muscle cramps during match? One of the most painful experiences to watch. His leg muscles tightened up, you could see the excruciating pain in his legs and on his face. Brought me to tears. He lost the match because of it, the cramps kept coming back.
Announcers kept mentioning pickle juice, but the stomach upset from the acid in the vinegar might have been worse.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/articles/how-does-a-teaspoon-of-mustard-cure-muscle-cramps/

This article suggests that muscle cramps are caused by misfiring nerves, in which electrolytes such as pickle juice and/or mustard relieve the cramps, but for the wrong perceived reason.

Interesting article. I have a cow#rker who recently shared that she has frequent, painful leg cramps. She swears by the "mustard" cure. She now proselytizes to anyone who will listen. :D

She keeps fast food packets of mustard in her purse, in her desk drawer, and at home (at all times) and she says it provides almost instant relief.

Too bad I can't stand the taste of mustard or pickles - both make me sick. On the bright side, I don't often have leg cramps.

This article suggests that muscle cramps are caused by misfiring nerves, in which electrolytes such as pickle juice and/or mustard relieve the cramps, but for the wrong perceived reason.

Interesting article, thanks.

Of course the cause is "misfiring nerves." If I didn't ask a calf muscle to contract, and it's doing so anyway, then clearly the problem is with neurotransmission (if that's a word.)

Hence the short-term "fix" of overwhelming other nerves with strong tastes, and the longer-term fix of restoring electrolyte balance, both work.

Makes a lot of sense.

A potassium-magnesium combo pretty much prevents them. If one still occurs from not being diligent with the supplement I will use a pressure wrap and very tight socks to force the spasming muscle back into place. Sometimes the sock is enough to prevent a cramp. Placing a solid pillow between your calves is another preventative.

Also, every morning when waking make sure you stretch with your foot pointing upward not downward.

I can't tell from the OP ASCII art, but just laying in bed, putting my leg out straight and bringing my toes up towards me almost immediate relieves the cramp.

My reaction is to do the opposite, to relax the cramp, but that makes it worse. Doing the above is like pulling it out, and it works for me, every time, immediately.

Repeated in post #19 and #14, maybe others)

BTW, there are far more potent sources of potassium than bananas, if those really have any effect. I used to eat a banana a day, when I stopped (decided that was a lot of sugar), my blood test showed no change.

-ERD50

There's a big charity bike ride coming up. They supply pickle juice at aid stations and crews.

Many major league teams (name your sport) have mustard packets available by the trainers for cramps.

Back
Top Bottom