Is This A Magical Cure For Calf Cramps?

Flexing my toes up has still been working, although I think I'm now at the point where I avoid stretching with my feet pointed down anyway, largely avoiding the cramp in the first place.

There was one day I got a cramp in what must be the opposite muscle; pointing my toes up made it worse, and down made it better.

Yeah, I had to resort to the standing weight solution this morning - aaargh.

Most of the time I get those cramps at night in bed, or sitting down after a race. Neither seems too conducive to standing up, so I just point my toes. I'll try it sometime though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
Flexing your toes toward your head works without having to stand up.

Another example of how this forum has helped me.

for me, easier said than done. I can't reach the toes to move them and when the cramp appears, my bodily communication and brain can't work together to do the flex. need to eat more brain food :)

Quinine stops them dead. It was the only thing that works for me. Used to be a common cure before it was outlawed in the USA for the most part. I got mine from an out of country pharmacy. I tried every recommended solution prior to trying the quinine. It really works for severely debilitating cramps.

Isn't quinine the stuff they put in gin?

I'm starting to see another option here... :D

It’s the stuff in tonic. Tonic with real quinine is available off the shelf in many grocery stores. Look for Fever Tree brand.

Not illegal. Maybe the dose is too low for the poster.

Many tonics aren’t using the real thing.

Actual quinine is in some tonic water. It may work depending on the severity. But the pills work exceptionally well. I used 1/2 a pill- don't remember the dose but it was what the pharmacist told me to do.

Quinine is legal in the US. I take it daily. Prescribed by my US doctor and filled by CVS.

Ahhh, so THAT's why I water down my gin with tonic...

Back
Top Bottom