02/25 219.0
03/04 219.6
04/01 217.0
04/08 216.4
04/15 214.8
04/23 216.4
04/30 216.4
05/27 216.6

Can't believe its been a month since I posted. I like the directions people are going with short term goals.

Short term goal #1 215
Short term goal #2 210

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #1742
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I wanted to wait until someone dragged it out of me.
OK, OK...I'll confess.
Our pre-marriage ceremony honeymoon...note we're doing all this in reverse order.
12 day Grand Mediterranean, balcony room, excursions in Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco.
It took us over a year to save up for it, especially when gas was $4 per gallon last year.

Ahhhh, that sounds divine! Looking forward to hearing about it after your return.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #1743

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Seems like I have been operating under out of date advice and 1200 calories is too low for my height. Thanks to SG, I have been directed to a website that has shown I need to increase my intake.

So I'm going to start consuming more calories (which isn't actually that much of a hardship) and hopefully that combined with my workouts will see a change over the next month.
Keeping my fingers crossed that this will work for you! BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if you gain a few pounds (egads!) in the first week or two, if the problem really is a lowered metabolism. I would think it would take a little while for the metabolism to change. Of course I'm not a dietician, but that's what I've read.

I do know that I lost weight on 1400 cals (no carbs at dinner), combined with working out hard 4-5 days a week (cardio only). Here is how it went for me last spring:

1/19/2008 133
1/26/2008 131
2/2/2008 130
2/9/2008 130
2/16/2008 129
2/23/2008 127
3/1/2008 125

So, I lost 8# in 6 wks. 1-2# a week. I hope to repeat that scenario now! The main difference is I now have more muscle mass than in 2008, and I will be doing cardio 2-3 days/wk and strength training 2-3 days per wk.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 05-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #1744
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by DangerMouse
Seems like I have been operating under out of date advice and 1200 calories is too low for my height. Thanks to SG, I have been directed to a website that has shown I need to increase my intake.

DM, it is so frustrating to work out, diet and still not seeing the scale go down! Know you're going through stress right now,which doesn't do one's metabolism any good.

I'm a little taller than you (5 feet 7.5 inches) and become faint and rubber-legged when I eat less than 1700 calories per day. I need that much to get through daily activities, including hour-long workout (cardio and weight machines, or else a 3-mile walk). Eating less than 1700, also caused me to wake up hungry and eat snacks in the middle of the night. That did not help my weight loss!

What worked for me was changing the composition of what I ate. I still ate 1700-1800 calories per day, but ruthlessly cut out anything processed except my daily breakfast of whole-wheat bagel, spread with peanut butter, whose convenience (can be taken to work) outweighed its processed-ness. Everything else was either unprocessed (fruit, vegetables, oatmeal, chicken, potatoes, scrambled eggs) or homemade (whole-wheat bread). I ate nothing that had added sugar, very little cheese, and drank 1 glass of wine per week (no other alcohol). A little olive oil for sauteeing. No butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, or bottled salad dressing, since I don't like them and rarely touch them at any time. At home, I ate a good bit of air-popped, unbuttered popcorn (with a little salt), which was satisfying without adding many calories. I like to eat a little Swiss cheese with the popcorn.

This was a hard regimen to stick to, for the 2 months it took me to shed 5.5 pounds. However, I didn't feel hungry or weak and the weight slowly came off. Maybe there is something from my experience that could help you?
more on metabolic rate
Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #1745

more on metabolic rate

I've been reading a bit, and found the following statistic:

"Starting around age 30, our resting metabolic rate (the amount of calories our bodies burn at rest in a 24-hour period) declines by about two to three percent per decade."

I believe the main reason for this is due to our loss of muscle mass as we age.

I also found this quote which is very interesting:

"Calorie restrictive diets that donīt supply enough energy to maintain proper body function donīt supply sufficient energy to the muscles to sustain them. As a result the muscles begin to breakdown. Because muscle is heavier than fat, the dieter is often delighted with the rapid weight loss but unaware that the resultant drop in metabolism will more than likely cause them to put on more weight than ever."

This gives me even more motivation to be sure to keep up with the strength training aspect of my exercise program!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I've been reading a bit, and found the following statistic:

"Starting around age 30, our resting metabolic rate (the amount of calories our bodies burn at rest in a 24-hour period) declines by about two to three percent per decade."

I believe the main reason for this is due to our loss of muscle mass as we age.

I also found this quote which is very interesting:

"Calorie restrictive diets that donīt supply enough energy to maintain proper body function donīt supply sufficient energy to the muscles to sustain them. As a result the muscles begin to breakdown. Because muscle is heavier than fat, the dieter is often delighted with the rapid weight loss but unaware that the resultant drop in metabolism will more than likely cause them to put on more weight than ever."

This gives me even more motivation to be sure to keep up with the strength training aspect of my exercise program!
Good info and more motivation for myself to also keep up the weight training
Short term target
Old 05-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #1747

Short term target

It has now been at least 3 weeks that I have been >= 180lbs and several months since I have been <=175lbs, PLUS, this last few weeks my bp has been elevated into the pre-hypertension range so I have decided that I'll try and ramp up the aerobics to both help shed 5 pounds and get the bp back to normal.

Since moving back here 17 months ago there is no doubt that the amount of exercise I do has dropped significantly.

On Monday I went on the treadmill for 30 minutes and tried running for a minute in every 5 and at the end of 30 minutes I was kn*ckered and had managed a distance of 2.5 miles.

So my target is to do this 2 or 3 times per week - if the joints can take it - and work up to 3 miles in 30 minutes.

On Thursday I managed 2.6 miles and today (Sunday) I made 2.8 miles

Today I also decided to wear my heart monitor to save having to grasp the handles every time I wanted to see my heart rate (I don't want to overdo things!). Turns out my heart monitor actually gets received by the treadmill which is great since at the end of the 30 minutes I get a summary with peak rate (197), average rate (132) etc. The 197 shocked me as I thought I was careful and stopped running every time I hit 170, so I'm not sure I believe that particular figure.

I thought I'd use this thread to post my exercise and bp targets and progress as well as my weight target.

New short term target is to be running 3 miles in a 30 minute session and to lose 5lbs by end of June to get to 175.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #1748

Quote:
Since moving back here 17 months ago there is no doubt that the amount of exercise I do has dropped significantly.
Alan, what's different since you moved here? (And, remind me where you moved from? Just curious. )

Quote:
On Monday I went on the treadmill for 30 minutes and tried running for a minute in every 5 and at the end of 30 minutes I was kn*ckered and had managed a distance of 2.5 miles.

So my target is to do this 2 or 3 times per week - if the joints can take it - and work up to 3 miles in 30 minutes.

Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Today I also decided to wear my heart monitor to save having to grasp the handles every time I wanted to see my heart rate (I don't want to overdo things!). Turns out my heart monitor actually gets received by the treadmill which is great since at the end of the 30 minutes I get a summary with peak rate (197), average rate (132) etc. The 197 shocked me as I thought I was careful and stopped running every time I hit 170, so I'm not sure I believe that particular figure.
Yeah, the 197 sure does seem like an outlier. I've had my heart monitor give me quirky #'s (once in the 200's, and I felt fine)...so I figured that unless I saw it up high consistently I wouldn't stress over it. What's your target heart range? 170 seems high, too.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #1749

Quote:
Alan, what's different since you moved here? (And, remind me where you moved from? Just curious. )
January 2007 I moved from The Woodlands, just north of Houston and the circumstances there were as follows:

I was 10 minutes from work so used to get up at 6:15 and work 'til 4. Then I would go directly to the Y to do a 60 minute workout class Tuesday and Thursday and weight training Monday and Wednesday.

At weekends I had a regular tennis partner that was well matched to me so it was a very vigorous 90 minute workout.

The Woodlands also has over 150 miles of bike trails so we used to do a lot of cycling at weekends as well ( 15 - 30 miles is a typical ride for us).

Here in Baton Rouge I have a 30 -40 minutes drive to/from work so I get up at 5:15 and normally get home at 4:45 but for the last 8 months I've been working 10 hour days, getting home at 6 because of a big project which is now coming to an end so I'm back to getting in at 4:45.

Initially I signed up for the Y but the locations and high traffic just had me worn out getting there so I dropped it after 4 months.

Cycling is a dangerous sport here so we usually only ride early Sunday mornings and only do about 12 - 15 miles. (no shoulders on the roads and drivers just don't think 'bike' as there are so few cyclists around).

I play tennis most Saturdays with DW but it just is not the same intensity even though I play left-handed. (We do have some good games and rallies, and I thoroughly enjoy it).
Old 05-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #1750

Quote:
January 2007 I moved from The Woodlands, just north of Houston and the circumstances there were as follows:

I was 10 minutes from work so used to get up at 6:15 and work 'til 4. Then I would go directly to the Y to do a 60 minute workout class Tuesday and Thursday and weight training Monday and Wednesday.
Quote:
Here in Baton Rouge I have a 30 -40 minutes drive to/from work so I get up at 5:15 and normally get home at 4:45 but for the last 8 months I've been working 10 hour days, getting home at 6 because of a big project which is now coming to an end so I'm back to getting in at 4:45.
That's rough. 10 hour days really doesn't leave any time for exercise. I have a situation like your prior one - work is just 5 minutes away from home, and I go straight from work to the gym (10 minutes away). So I work until around 4:30 or 5, I'm at the gym by 5:30 and home by 7 p.m. On the days I end up working later than 5:30 I totally lose all motivation and end up going home instead of working out. I am glad to hear your work is getting less crazy!

My brother works 1.25 hrs from work...he has no time for anything but sleep, work, eat. I worry about him. He is so not the picture of health, but given his background he is stuck in this job indefinitely.

W*rk definitely is an impediment to your health!

Old 05-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #1751

Quote:
W*rk definitely is an impediment to your health!
No arguments there !! DW thinks my elevated bp is purely down to work - combination of stress and not having time to exercise properly.

In years gone by I have been hospitalized twice on return from overseas trips - 1st time with meningitis - 2nd time with some suspected infectious disease that they never could nail down.

While in The Woodlands they insisted I work on a project in India even though I said I didn't want to work there (the chemical plant in question was to be a new acquisition and is located in a province bordering Pakistan). I did make one trip there to set up the project and then handed over to a team in APAC, but a few months later they insisted I take over the project lead again, at which point I started looking around for something else.

We loved living in The Woodlands but the job was definitely too much at that time - I could just imagine myself getting something like Malaria (which my boss has from his stint in China) right before I RE.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:35 AM   #1752

Quote:
132#. Whew...! After all of the indulgence last week, I am so glad to see I haven't gained like 5# (hopefully it won't just be a delayed onset of weight gain that hasn't shown up yet....). I did work out 5 of the 7 days when on the ship...proud of myself for that!
130#!!!

Both DH and I have kept up the exercise and gone back to weighing and measuring our meals, no carbs at dinner time.

I planned out all of our meals for the week on Saturday and did our grocery shopping. It took a lot of up-front time, but having a plan for the week is really helping us stick to the diet. I'm so happy DH is on board with this...no more putting wings and beer in front of me...at least for a while, LOL.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #1753
Give me a forum ...

6'0" Target 175lbs

2/11 185
2/18 184
2/25 184
3/04 182
3/11 180.5
3/18 180
3/25 180
4/01 180
4/08 180
4/15 179.5
4/22 180.5
4/29 180
5/06 181
5/13 180
5/20 179.5
5/27 179.5
6/03 180
Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #1754

4/15 200.2
4/22 198.2
4/29 197.2
5/06 197.0
5/13 194.6
5/20 193.4
5/27 196.2
6/03 193.2

goal: 185 by August 1, 2009
Old 06-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #1755
Full time employment: Posting here.

1/23/08: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
7/30/08: 191.8 16.0%
(snip ...)
11/12: 195.2 17.1%
12/03: 198.2 17.8%
1/07: 200.6 17.9%
2/04: 199.4 18.4%
3/04: 201.8 17.7%
4/01: 198.2 17.3%
5/06: 197.4 16.7%
5/13: 198.4 17.4%
5/20: 198.8 17.2%
5/27: 200.0 18.2%
6/03: 200.2 17.6%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%
Highest weight: 260 (May 2001)
Lowest weight: 190 (June 2007)

Looks like I'm going in the wrong direction. I'm trying to eat "better" these days, not necessarily "less". I'm not really trying that hard to lose weight these days, my goal is more about gaining strength. So I'm not too bent out of shape that my weight starts with a 2.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It has now been at least 3 weeks that I have been >= 180lbs and several months since I have been <=175lbs, PLUS, this last few weeks my bp has been elevated into the pre-hypertension range so I have decided that I'll try and ramp up the aerobics to both help shed 5 pounds and get the bp back to normal.

I thought I'd use this thread to post my exercise and bp targets and progress as well as my weight target.

New short term target is to be running 3 miles in a 30 minute session and to lose 5lbs by end of June to get to 175.
You must walk fast if you got 2.6 miles in 30 min, running one out of five mins... I'd bet you were running 4 and walking 1 min. I do a lot of that but my endurance is improving quite a bit and I can go 3 miles without a walk break a couple times a week, and have to do the run/walk a couple times a week.

The thing that concerns me is your heart rate. If I understand correctly, the most common way to calculate max heart rate would put you at a max of 166 (at age 54). If you let your HR get so high, doesn't the lactic buildup make your legs hurt after your run? I'm 47, and I target a heartrate of 147 (85% of max) but let it creep up to about 152 or so sometimes. Beyond that and I back off on the speed or reduce to a walk.

R
Old 06-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #1757

SG, congrats on dropping those 2lbs, you'll soon be on target at that rate.

Dawg, those last 5lbs are the worst aren't they?

Ronstar, why did you have the spike in weight last week do you think? The way you are progressing you are likely to hit target before August.

Kronk, have you completely recovered from your surgery? What was the issue with your eating previously?

Rambler, I agree with you on the heart rate thing. 170 is far too high and I would be scared to see 197. We are the same age and I try to stay in the zone of 125-145. I can set my heart rate monitor to beep when it is out of that zone and that allows me to either speed up or slow down.

Today was day 3 of bootcamp. I am really enjoying it but it sure is kicking my butt. I'm not even going to weigh myself this week as I would assume that any loss/gain would be totally unrelated to my new exercise routine or diet. I have increased my calories and am eating between 1600-1800 every day. It is hard to eat 1800 in a day, but the bonus is I am now able to eat more food I would usually ignore. Hopefully I will have a decrease in weight to report next week, or even better my clothes will feel a little bit looser.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #1758

4/22/09: 153.5lbs 6.0% body fat
4/29/09: 156.0lbs 7.0% body fat
5/06/09: 156.5lbs 7.0% body fat
5/13/09: 158.5lbs 7.5% body fat
5/20/09: 159.5lbs 8.0% body fat
5/27/09: 160.0lbs 8.0% body fat
6/03/09: 159.5lbs 8.0% body fat

Damn, w*rked too hard this past weekend. 12 hours of almost none stop walking friday, saturday, and sunday. Hopefully I can make up for it this weekend.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #1759
Give me a forum ...

177.5 Nov 2008
180.5 Dec 26, 2008 a few holiday parties got me!
181 Dec 31, 2008 - weight is peaked
179 Jan 21 food portion control plan working. Started using daily fiber supplements for hunger control.
178 Jan 28
180 Feb 25
177 Mar 25
177.5 Apr 1 - consistency, though boring, means no weight gain.
176 Apr 22 - 4x exercise bike last week, 15-20 mins per session, started light barbells for upper body
180.5 May 20 - self-inflicted damage
177 May 27
176.5 June 2 - I think my bathroom scale has transformed into an alien spaceship that can't decide where to land. Take me to your leader.

Short Term Goal - 170 lbs and maintaining all through 2009
Long Term Goal - 165 lbs for 2010
High school weight 135 lbs senior year, running track
Old 06-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #1760

My bathroom scale is doing the same, freebird--it is an alien invader.
164 today. Same old story. Beer.
But I have new hooping pants, so maybe they will inspire me to stop after two pints.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote