It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of Year makes me think about this stuff. I've managed to keep my weight just a little over my all-time best level (from July 07) all this time, so it is not an aberration which is good! I found taking multivitamins 2 or 3 times a week seems to help me keep the gnawing/grazing thing in check. Paradoxically also found that snacking on good Trader Joe's chocolate didn't add to my weight and was a sort of appetite suppressant so that is becoming a regular part of my 'diet'. :cool:

Alan and DangerMouse I was particularly interested in the FitLinxx thing in your posts having noticed it recently at the Y. But doing 60 minutes a day sound very 'keen' -- well done if you can keep that up! I do three yoga classes each week and one vigorous hour on the treadmill and elliptical machines at the Y and feel like I'm doing all I need, but it could be just more 'bar lowering' -- something i'm getting pretty good at these days.

Good luck all in your health goals for '07

First of Year makes me think about this stuff. I've managed to keep my weight just a little over my all-time best level (from July 07) all this time, so it is not an aberration which is good! I found taking multivitamins 2 or 3 times a week seems to help me keep the gnawing/grazing thing in check. Paradoxically also found that snacking on good Trader Joe's chocolate didn't add to my weight and was a sort of appetite suppressant so that is becoming a regular part of my 'diet'. :cool:

Alan and DangerMouse I was particularly interested in the FitLinxx thing in your posts having noticed it recently at the Y. But doing 60 minutes a day sound very 'keen' -- well done if you can keep that up! I do three yoga classes each week and one vigorous hour on the treadmill and elliptical machines at the Y and feel like I'm doing all I need, but it could be just more 'bar lowering' -- something i'm getting pretty good at these days.

Good luck all in your health goals for '07

Bob, We do the chocolate thing every day now. we buy bars of good quality dark chocolate, break them into squares and keep them in a tub in the 'fridge. Each evening for dessert we slowly eat a piece with our glass of medicinal red wine :cool:

As far as Fitlinxx goes you are already doing the same amount as I do each week at the Y. My extra logged activities come from walking, playing tennis (twice a week for about 90 minutes) and cycling with DW at the weekends or in the evenings.

I'm reading a good book recommended by someone on this thread (apologies for forgetting who :confused:). It is called Younger Next Year by Chris Crowley and Henry S Lodge who basically say there are only 3 things you need to stay very well as you grow older - Exercise, Nutrition (not "dieting") and Commitment

2Cor, that is awesome! You are rocking! And a triathalon, boy howdy, you've gone way past my peak of physical fitness. Too cool!

Alan, I'm so glad you like the book--I can't recommend it enough! I've given 4 copies for gifts since reading it! And you know how hard it is to get some guys to read stuff like that--my DH zipped right through it!

Sigh. 150lbs today. I'm still fighting off those post-holiday lbs, and it didn't help to spend the weekend celebrating (read drinking beer and eating wings) passing the CFP exam!

2Cor, that is awesome! You are rocking! And a triathalon, boy howdy, you've gone way past my peak of physical fitness. Too cool!

Thank you!

The triathlon is actually just a motivator to lose that last 11.6 pounds or so; if I don't do the triathlon then I won't bother getting in shape; if I don't bother getting in shape I'll just be a skinny flabby guy instead of a skinny buff guy.

Right now I'd get winded jogging a quarter mile.

Congrats (publicly) on the CFP thing again!

2Cor521

186.6 this morning!

2Cor521

185.2 this morning.

Yikes; I've lost weight faster in the last few days than ever before. The only difference I can figure is I'm drinking caffeinated Japanese green tea -- it's the free hot drink at my office with the least caffeine, I think -- and as a result not sleeping well and not eating much else. Hmmm.

2Cor521

Alan, I'm so glad you like the book--I can't recommend it enough! I've given 4 copies for gifts since reading it! And you know how hard it is to get some guys to read stuff like that--my DH zipped right through it!

We are in transition between Houston and Baton Rouge so the "book" is all I have. The scales will arrive with the rest of the furniture on Thursday. Thanks for recommending it - I put it on my wish list for Christmas and DW bought if for me. She likes it as well.

Keep up the good work guys. January is the best month to lose weight, with all the Holiday pounds and the Resolutions to shed them

Still sitting at 200 for months !! Joined a triathlon club at my health club with a goal to be in one in 20 weeks.. Hopefully the cross training will help ..

At 175 lbs this morning with a waist measurement of 35 inches, BMI of 26.6 and waist-to-hip ratio of 95%. My goal is to get into the healthy weight range again by getting my BMI under 25 or my waist-to-hip ratio waist under 90%.

At 5'8" with hips measuring 37" that makes target weight 164.5 lbs and target waist measurement 33.25". 10.5 lbs and 1.75" to go. :bat:

Alan
Hope you enjoy Baton Rouge and find a new place that serves English beer! if not, you can probably get cans of Boddingtons shipped to you or even from a local distributor. Failing that it could be time to learn to start drinking Hurricanes...:eek:

I looked into Fitlinxx at our Y but only one of the machines I use is networked in -- the rest are all hand-entered, and they said it would take 30-40 minutes to get set up initially. Still going to hold off for now.

Anybody here have strong thoughts about optimum heart rate during vigorous exercise? I realize I am getting up over 80% for my weekly 'blow-out-the-pipes' 50 minutes on the machines, and wonder if anybody thinks that is dangerous (as long as you are fit overall and don't have any heart or circulatory conditions etc.)

Alan
Anybody here have strong thoughts about optimum heart rate during vigorous exercise? I realize I am getting up over 80% for my weekly 'blow-out-the-pipes' 50 minutes on the machines, and wonder if anybody thinks that is dangerous (as long as you are fit overall and don't have any heart or circulatory conditions etc.)

There are a variety of ways to measure safe exertion. The easiest measure is whether you can hold a conversation without constantly gasping for breath; if you can hold the conversation you haven't exceeded your safety level.

Another common system estimates your safe maximum heart rate based on your age:
  • Max heart rate, based on age: 220 - Your age, in years.
Safe exercise levels are then calculated using a percentage:
  • Weight Loss (not a cardiac workout) 55-70%
  • Cardio workout 70-85%
  • Athletic Endurance 85-95% (the "can't hold a conversation" range)
Generally speaking, you need to be more than just "fit" to perform in the athletic endurance band. You need to be in excellent shape . . . like an athlete. How do you determine that without potentially deluding yourself into believing you're an athlete? Well, if you:
  • Do cardio training at least three times a week for 20 minutes at the 85% level and can carry on a conversation with no difficulty while you're at it.
  • Have normal blood pressure.
  • Have a resting heart rate of 65 or less.
Then you might try training at the higher 85-95% percentages for 10-20 minutes at a time once or twice a week. Just don't do it every time you work out; after all you're trying to train the heart and your cardiovascular system so it performs better, not strain and stress it so it doesn't perform well!

One last thing. Athletes and the super-fit generally have cardiovascular systems that handle the stress of exercise very well, and for them there is an alternate way to calculate percent maximum exertion. One of the more popular ones is this:
[ (220-age) - (resting pulse) ] * exertion level + (resting pulse)

So, for me at age 46 with a resting heart rate of 60, my percent maximum exertion levels are:
  • 55%: [(220-46=174)-60=114] * 55% + 60 = 123 beats/minute
  • 70%: [114] * 70% + 60 = 140 beats/minute
  • 85%: [114] * 85% + 60 = 156 beats/minute
  • 95%: [114] * 95% + 60 = 168 beats/minute
  • 100%: [114] * 100% + 60 = 174 beats/minute
One important thing to note when using this formula is that it doesn't change your maximum safe heart rate. Regardless of fitness level it just isn't a good idea to drive your cardiovascular system so hard that you exceed the safe heart rate of (220 - your age) beats per minute.

Thx, Insanity.
Using your formulae I'm up in the athletic endurance band for about 45 minutes a week, which sounds like it could be dangerous. I'll start looking into this more carefully -- getting resting pulse, maybe doing a stress test to find my max heart rate etc etc. I don't know that I'd qualify as an athlete by the strict definition, so will need to make sure I get the right max rate for myself. I don't use the conversation method to find out since I'm in a gym and that would definitely get the machines around me cleared out! I think some of this depends on lung capacity as well as heart capacity, too. Maybe time to check into a sports clinic for some definitive answers...

I don't use the conversation method to find out since I'm in a gym and that would definitely get the machines around me cleared out! I think some of this depends on lung capacity as well as heart capacity, too. Maybe time to check into a sports clinic for some definitive answers...
Oh, but it's a great way to get a machine if you're working out at a community center. (Which are, in general, rated much better than most of the bigger chain fitness centers, and they can't kick you out if you act a little crazy . . . )

Just go in at peak hours and have a conversation with an imaginary friend. Mention that unpleasant-looking lesion developing on his forehead. Argue a little.

Space on the cardio equipment will just appear! (Be sure to thank your friend for making that happen.) :crazy:

I have three workout routines in the gym. One is primarily weights with a short warm-up and cool down on the cardio equipment that never gets into the "athletic performance" band, one is all cardio workout, 60 minutes working in the "cardio" band (usually moving between the cyclic jogger and the rowing machine), and the third is a blended cardio/weights workout, which I do once or twice a week; the others I generally do just once.

The cardio/weights workout goes like this: 20-25 minutes on the cyclic jogger doing an "athletic performance" workout followed by a quick, one-set rotation through my weights routine, then a 5-10 minute, low intensity warm-down on the cardio equipment. I structure the first, high-intensity cardio workout by easing into the "athletic performance" band over 2-5 minutes, continue in the "athletic" band until it's time to warm-down, then warm down by dropping the intensity by 10% (measured by calorie consumption), which drops my heart rate into the high end of the "cardio" range in about a minute. After that I gradually back off the intensity until I'm in the "weight loss" range after four minutes of warm down time.

At no point during a high-intensity cardio workout should you ever get a "stitch" in your side, feel dizzy, nauseous, feel like you're having problems breathing fast enough, or have problems getting your heart rate down into the "cardio" range within a minute of when you cut back on the intensity when you start to warm-down. Run into any of these problems and you're not strengthening your body, but harming it.

Alan
Hope you enjoy Baton Rouge and find a new place that serves English beer! if not, you can probably get cans of Boddingtons shipped to you or even from a local distributor. Failing that it could be time to learn to start drinking Hurricanes...:eek:

I looked into Fitlinxx at our Y but only one of the machines I use is networked in -- the rest are all hand-entered, and they said it would take 30-40 minutes to get set up initially. Still going to hold off for now.

Bob,

We just spent our first night in our new apartment and starting to look around. I can get boddingtons and the like in a few places but none in walking distance. The nearest drinking hole in walking distance does do Hurricanes so may be I'll have to try one.

Our local Y here does do Fitlinxx here but in fact the fitness room at our complex is better equipped and, obviously, more convenient so I think I'll switch to using the weight machines here and manually enter the data. We've still joined the Y for classes and tennis etc.

As far as your question on cardio workouts is concerned, the guideline on max rate is just that and each individual will have a greater or lesser personal max which you can discover yourself by gradually pushing yourself or with a stress test. One thing you can measure is your recovery rate which is an excellent, easily available measurement of your aerobic fitness.

I'm assuming you have a heart monitor - much better than using the indication on the machines. Let's say you are thrashing along at 130 - 140 bpm on your stationary bike or something around your 80% level. Now just pedal easily and watch your heart rate and the seconds counter on your watch. Wait unit your rate drops by a beat per minute (sometimes it temporarily goes up when you stop). Now count off 60 seconds and note how much your rate has dropped. Anything over 20bpm is satisfactory, more is better. If your recovery rate is 30 - 40, tell everyone you know, 'cos that is really good.

You shouldn't need to push yourself to the limit (95%+) ever, although it does feel good to do so once a week or once a month. At this level you can't get enough O2 to your muscles and you get lactic acid build etc, plus the older you get the more chance of a heart attack, so certainly don't push it too often if your recovery rate is below 20.

Back in the groove again. The move to Louisiana is completed.

175.5 this morning. Not bad, just need to lose a couple of lbs to get back in range.

Tried Tai Chi yesterday for the first time - very interesting - will give it another shot next week.

Jan-16-08: At 174 lbs, BMI of 26.5
Jan-09-08: At 175 lbs, BMI of 26.6

At 175 lbs this morning with a waist measurement of 35 inches, BMI of 26.6 and waist-to-hip ratio of 95%. My goal is to get into the healthy weight range again by getting my BMI under 25 or my waist-to-hip ratio waist under 90%.

At 5'8" with hips measuring 37" that makes target weight 164.5 lbs and target waist measurement 33.25". 10.5 lbs and 1.75" to go. :bat:

Bob,
As far as your question on cardio workouts is concerned, the guideline on max rate is just that and each individual will have a greater or lesser personal max which you can discover yourself by gradually pushing yourself or with a stress test. One thing you can measure is your recovery rate which is an excellent, easily available measurement of your aerobic fitness.

This is very true: Different people have different maximum heart rates. The number I suggested (220 minus your age in years) is part of the Karvonen formula for calculating safe heart rate training zones for individuals in generally good health. If I remember right the "220" starting number is derived from the average max heart rate for men in their mid-fourties, and is designed to be a "safe" number for use by most people who aren't trying to be superstar athletes.

If you want to find a true maximum heart rate for yourself, you might try this method from Wikipedia. From there you can calculate your training zones using the percentages I suggested earlier, but without subtracting and re-adding your resting heart rate in and out of the equation. I've used this method to calculate my max heart rate, which turns out to be a few beats faster than my Karvonen number.

Just remember, by design this test is designed to take your body right to its limits, very close to the breaking point. That's not the kind of testing I'd advocate to a lot of people.

I'm assuming you have a heart monitor - much better than using the indication on the machines. Let's say you are thrashing along at 130 - 140 bpm on your stationary bike or something around your 80% level. Now just pedal easily and watch your heart rate and the seconds counter on your watch. Wait unit your rate drops by a beat per minute (sometimes it temporarily goes up when you stop). Now count off 60 seconds and note how much your rate has dropped. Anything over 20bpm is satisfactory, more is better. If your recovery rate is 30 - 40, tell everyone you know, 'cos that is really good.
You're describing the "recovery heart rate" a little differently from the way I'm used to hearing it. As I understand it the recovery heart rate is calculated by exercising at 80% of the "220 beats minus your age in years" level for a period of time, followed by a two-minute active warm down (75% of the walking or running speed required to obtain the 80% heart rate), ceasing exercise and waiting one minute, then taking the subject's pulse for 15 seconds and multiplying that number by four to find the "recovery heart rate."

People with a recovery heart rate 12 beats per minute or less than their 80% heart rate were found to have a mortality rate four times higher than those with a recovery rate more than 12 beats slower.

You shouldn't need to push yourself to the limit (95%+) ever, although it does feel good to do so once a week or once a month. At this level you can't get enough O2 to your muscles and you get lactic acid build etc, plus the older you get the more chance of a heart attack, so certainly don't push it too often if your recovery rate is below 20.
The literature I've seen states that there are no health or training benefits working above the 95% level, the point at which your muscles make more lactic acid than they can efficiently clear out of the system, so why even go there?

About lactic acid:

Creating lactic acid isn't a bad thing, by the way. Your muscles (and other cells of your body) actually have two separate energy systems. The first is an anaerobic (meaning no oxygen required) process that converts glucose sugar into two usable energy units (a chemical called ATP) per glucose molecule and something called pyruvic acid. That pyruvic acid is then fed into the second, aerobic (requiring oxygen) system that turns the pyruvic acid waste product of the anaerobic process into another 34 ATP energy units.

The interesting thing about this is that, while the aerobic (oxygen requiring) process can create a whole lot of ATP energy units, it's a slow process, while the anaerobic (no oxygen required) process is very fast and easy to do, So, when our muscles are working very hard (in the cardiac fitness band), they throw the inefficient aerobic process into high gear and make lots of ATP energy units along with lots of pyruvic acid waste, way more pyruvic acid waste than the aerobic energy system can process.

When that happens the muscles convert the excess pyruvic acid into lactic acid, dump the lactic acid into the blood stream, where the liver can grab it and (using more energy) convert it back into glucose sugar again.

In other words, the anaerobic system is very inefficient. It sucks calories down like a madman. Which is, of course, a good thing if you're trying to burn calories. The downside is that, beyond a certain exercise level, your muscles and liver can't keep up with the lactic acid, and that can cause the buildup of lactic acid Alan was referring to.

Which is why you don't want to exercise in the athletic performance band (heart rate 85% and above of max heart rate) too often, and why there is no training advantage (meaning it's a bad idea) to going over the 95% level at any time.

Last edited:
I've constantly seen this thread every week but never took the time to open it. Just after Christmas I felt that my pants were feeling more tight then usual so I decided to take a gander.

Ok........not look'in good, since I retired just over a year ago, I put on 35 lbs. I was already about 10 pounds over weight so that put me at 45 over. I'm presently 51 and feeling more tired and less motivated then usual which I'm sure the weight has something to do with this.

So what's the game plan, I read these post and share idea's in an effort to help motivate me to loose the 45 lbs?

Hmmmm, I hope I can do this...........no wait, I'm suppost to say. I can do this.

May this be my dream for 2008.

My Dream--just do it! This thread helped me lose 60 lbs (DH lost the same) since last November! Knowing you have to post your weight will help keep you motivated.

I liken exercise to wearing your seat belt: like everyone else, I never wore my seat belt as a teenager, until a bad wreck where I flipped a Blazer off a 30 foot embankment and did some 360s to get to the bottom. We were all okay, but I put a sticker on the dash after that that said "Seat belt required". The habit of wearing my seatbelt started from the sticker.
Going to the gym every day, and writing down my weight and how many calories I eat every day, is just like that sticker! I'm on my 4th or 5th copy of Corinne Netzer's Calorie Counter's Diary, a simple little spiral bound book to keep track of such things. Go get one and keep it on the kitchen counter (right next to the chocolate!).
Before we lost this weight, we could only dream of some of the stuff we're doing. In fact, DH is going to Costa Rica on Saturday, planning to climb the highest peak there with some friends. 60 lbs ago, he'd have stayed at the bar instead!
I'm at 147 today, and did two "almost pull-ups" Tuesday night with the trainer, but I'm thinking at this point it is more of a workout for him than me (he lifted me up)!

If you want to find a true maximum heart rate for yourself, you might try this method from Wikipedia.

Insanity,

Good post, thanks for the info, excellent stuff. The simple version of Recovery Rate I stated comes from the book "Younger Next Year".

I looked up the Wikapedia link which was also very interesting. When I had my last full physical at work last year it included an ekg and the Doc said to me "Do you know you have a resting heart rate in the 40's? - I wish I had a resting heart rate in the 40's". Given that the company Doc certainly does not look fit or thin, maybe he would be in a bad way if his heart rate was that low.

Bradycardia is defined as a heart rate less than 60 beats per minute although it is seldom symptomatic until below 50 bpm. Trained athletes tend to have slow resting heart rates, and resting bradycardia in athletes should not be considered abnormal if the individual has no symptoms associated with it. Again, this number can vary as smaller people and children have faster heart rates than adults.

I am not a trained athlete and never have been, but I used to play a lot of sport up to age 40, then with injuries stopped everything and thought that low heart rate was long gone. But 5 or 6 years later I joined WW at work, started exercising and low and behold 18 months later at my annual physical I was 40lbs lighter and my low heart rate had come back.

I
So what's the game plan, I read these post and share idea's in an effort to help motivate me to loose the 45 lbs?

Hmmmm, I hope I can do this...........no wait, I'm suppost to say. I can do this.

May this be my dream for 2008.

The nice thing about this thread is that you don't have to turn up to meetings to get encouragement - you can go exercise instead and then attend the "meeting" on this thread from your chair :rolleyes:

A great thing about the body is that it can reverse course, repair and rejuvenate itself. I've seen it stated several times and am now fully convinced that exercise is more important than weight or BMI. Being fit and fat is much better for lifespan and quality of life than being thin and out of shape. (in my opinion). Usually getting fit will result in losing weight, particularly if you eat nutritious foods, so don't get focused only on the weight and cutting back eating, you need to exercise as well.

Motivation? I'd like to say that's simple, but it's not. One motivator you might consider, however, is to visit one of those community health tables that show up at malls and county fairs and such so people can get their blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar checked. (I suggest you can pay cash so you can keep the results out of your medical record and your health insurance's radar.) If you're in the kind of shape you describe, the results could well be a scary wake-up call.

Beyond that . . . hey, you have this really nifty machine called "your body." It's served you well to get you through to retirement without requiring a new air filter or oil change, but it's good to remember that even the best-made machine eventually wears out, and there's no chance at all that you'll be able to do a trade-in on a newer model. The good news is that, with careful maintainance, it could well last you another thirty, forty, fifty years before it starts getting really hard to maintain and keep running. The bad news is, if you don't do that maintainance you may start having problems well before then, but at least you'll have retired early so you can get a couple good years on the tires before your first -- perhaps your last -- blow out. :eek:

John Lennon said it to a friend in her 20s who had lost her husband and months later was still having a really hard time dealing with it: You have two choices. You can decide you're going to live, or you're going to die. Your situation is different, but the choice is the same.

Good luck!

My Dream--just do it! This thread helped me lose 60 lbs (DH lost the same) since last November! Knowing you have to post your weight will help keep you motivated.

The nice thing about this thread is that you don't have to turn up to meetings to get encouragement - you can go exercise instead and then attend the "meeting" on this thread from your chair :rolleyes:

Motivation? I'd like to say that's simple, but it's not.Good luck!

Thanks Sarah, Alan and Insanity, I'm going to do my best. I will post next Wednesday with my results. I'll take that luck Insanity, I think I'll need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom