Join Early Retirement Today

Kokoro Yoga
Old 08-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kokoro Yoga

This book looks interesting, not a traditional book on yoga, but it appears it might provide other insights on fitness and life. Here is a book review. Has anyone read this book?
Kokoro Yoga REVIEW

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

From the review: "The Kokoro Yoga “way” takes you through actionable and specific segments – tactics, strategies, programming etc – to address the key areas of a complete human being. Developing a “personal ethos” to breathing, to mobility and relaxation to yoga poses and where and when to do them, to mental and spiritual growth. It’s a “system” that could change the lives of many for the better who follow it, which in turn improves the lives of those around them, which ultimately benefits humanity."

In other words...yoga. But yoga marketed in the name of "Hooah, a former SEAL did it on the deck of a combat aircraft, so that makes it masculine and gun-loving and all that stuff." Gotta have a gimmick to sell books.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In other words...yoga. But yoga marketed in the name of "Hooah, a former SEAL did it on the deck of a combat aircraft, so that makes it masculine and gun-loving and all that stuff." Gotta have a gimmick to sell books.
The real question is, did he wear tights and are there pictures
Old 08-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

It said he did it in full combat kit! Wow! And it also says it's not
"your sister's hippie-dippie yoga!"

Perhaps the yogi sounds a klaxon for breaks, instead of ringing a gentle chime. And instead of "Namaste," you greet one another as "Hey, Nasty-A$$!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
The real question is, did he wear tights and are there pictures
Old 08-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I love saying the word "namaste." I can't do yoga because the super serious instructors make me laugh and then I have to leave the studio but DH loves it and will strike a warrior pose at the least provocation.

I think he wanted to call it "cross fit yoga" and it was already taken? Kokoro is Japanese for heart (thank you, Google), which sounds very sweet to me--yoga from the heart--but apparently that's not the intention.

ETA sorry, DFW--I'll ask DH if he know this book. It does sound interesting .

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Now that sounds a little sexist, we do have women in the military after all.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #7

We do, and I would bet the ones I work with would find the review as ludicrous as I did.

If anyone's doing some male stereotyping, it would seem to be the author of the review. "Not your sister's yoga."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Now that sounds a little sexist, we do have women in the military after all.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
We do, and I would bet the ones I work with would find the review as ludicrous as I did.

If anyone's doing some male stereotyping, it would seem to be the author of the review. "Not your sister's yoga."
Actually, I thought it was a very well written review, not ludicrous at all. The reviewer is involved in training both military and swat folks, as well as other fitness aficionados.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

At the gym where I do spinning the same room is used for aerobics, Zumba, spinning, yoga, etc. Inevitably, a class will run over or an instructor will be late. The result is that by the 3rd or 4th class of the morning, starting times are backed up by 10 minutes or so; there is a crowd in the hall waiting for the room to clear out to start the next class. Some of those waiting give dirty looks to those exiting from the previous class. As my spin class, which always runs over because we start late, is followed by yoga, we spinners have started calling the yoga class "Angry Yoga." A few of the yogis definitely need a namaste, an om or some breathing to get themselves peaceful!
Old 08-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #10

"Angry Yoga" - that's really funny. Some people do have an aggressive relationship with gyms and public exercise.

My gym has no yoga classes, but they have lots of exercise classes which are always 100% full with 95% female participants. We usually arrive about the time the first class is starting and the participants are crowding around the classroom door waiting to get in. We have to walk by the classrooms on our way to the main gym.

When we first joined, we noticed that some women seemed to be getting in my way - while staring right at me - as I made my way through them to the main gym. They got out of Mr. A's way. After a while, the behavior stopped, and it dawned on me they had been afraid the Unknown New Lady (me) might nip in front of them and take their spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
As my spin class, which always runs over because we start late, is followed by yoga, we spinners have started calling the yoga class "Angry Yoga." A few of the yogis definitely need a namaste, an om or some breathing to get themselves peaceful!
Old 08-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

My gym has no yoga classes, but they have lots of exercise classes which are always 100% full with 95% female participants.

!
Same at my gym - large majority of women in the classes. Today I was the only guy spinning. But I've noticed that a few guys are starting to become Angry Yoga regulars.

I'm sure a lot of the weight lifters think the classes largely populated by women are for wusses but I've sampled a few in addition to the regular spinning. They are butt-kicking workouts!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #12

Quote:

I'm sure a lot of the weight lifters think the classes largely populated by women are for wusses but I've sampled a few in addition to the regular spinning. They are butt-kicking workouts!
You want to see some tough women, attend a kick boxing class.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #13

I agree In some of them,people are lifting actual barbells over their heads in time with the instructor's chanting. My shoulders ache just looking at them.

There sure is nothing wussy about yoga. I'm noticing a lot of guys, mainly younger ones, doing yoga moves on mats in the main gym. Frankly I don't think the spiritual part is wussy either

Quote:
S