Life is like Coffee

I love it. Thanks for posting.

A quote from the presentation:

"The happiest people do not have the best of everything.
They just make the best of everything."

I don't even have "everything", only the things I care most about. That already keeps me busy maintaining them.

Sometimes, especially on winter mornings, that savored cup of coffee disappears all too fast.

That was a great little movie and I don't even like coffee. It's sends a good message, thanks for sharing.

Wonderful message :flowers:

My coffee cup du jour is a plain black ceramic cup. I removed the plastic coating (a logo of a company whose contract I managed) a long time ago.
I do not own sets of matching cups, only interesting ones that caught my eye at garage sales or dollar stores.

This is my favorite one.

Attachments

• favecoffeecup.jpg
    favecoffeecup.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Great message to go with a great beverage! Thanks for posting

No wonder my life is so boring, I'm drinking de-cafe coffee these days. Sucks coming off regular java.

Nice message though.

I don't have a favorite coffee cup, especially after watching the video...:cool:

Good return of the serve...:cool:

What I meant is what design is appealing to a person. For example, mine is a simple flowing design, painted in earthy colors, perhaps even handmade, and is a cup of extra large capacity. ;)

This is my favorite one.

Did you buy this at a thrift store in New Smyrna Beach Florida? This exact mug design was my late father's favorite tea mug for many years. I took it and a lot of other housewares to the thrift store when we cleaned out my parents' house to sell it in 2006.

Nice memory for me, thanks.

And Midpack - I loved the video - have already shared it with my friends. Thanks.

Last edited:
Did you buy this at a thrift store in New Smyrna Beach Florida? This exact mug design was my late father's favorite tea mug for many years. I took it and a lot of other housewares to the thrift store when we cleaned out my parents' house to sell it in 2006.

Nice memory for me, thanks.

And Midpack - I loved the video - have already shared it with my friends. Thanks.
Now isn't that interesting?

This particular mug belonged to a retired doctor and his wife who owned a 42' sailboat. They would have the mast taken down, navigate the inland waterways from upstate NY, enroute to the Caribbean, get the mast raised again, and sail for months at a time. Their longest trip was 2 years. I am sure that they went ashore in FL.

When they both had to go into assisted living (sometime prior to 2004), my late husband and I helped their daughters empty the house. We had a nice big truck and were willing to pick up/drop off packed boxes to churches for rummage sales.

I saw this solitary mug (no matching ones in the cupboard) when I was packing up the kitchen dishes for donation and asked if I could have it. Something about the design appealed to me.

I also use it for tea, as well as coffee. :D

I guess I disagree with the whole premise.

"Be assured that the cup adds no quality to the coffee"?

Many things we enjoy in life are multidimensional, multifaceted. It is the total experience we are after. We don't usually go to a restaurant for just the food, there must be ambiance also. We don't just buy chairs that are comfortable, we probably look for style also. Why travel, there is food and shelter were we live?

Life would be boring if we were only after the function in all things.

I enjoy drinking my coffee (or beer or wine or water) out of something that makes the whole experience better. That doesn't cause me stress, that elevates the experience. It seems like such a simple way to raise the quality of life to a higher level. Does anyone really feel that drinking coffee out of a Styrofoam cup is the same as drinking out of a stylish, well balanced, comfortable (and functional - micro-wave and dishwasher safe), porcelain mug? Animals don't care about the dish they eat out of, humans do. I don't want to change places, and the new-age music won't make me change my mind about that.

Which makes me wonder - why add music to the video? It conflicts with the intended message - 'be assured the music adds no quality to the message'?

Sorry, I don't get it - even seems backwards to me.

-ERD50

Very good points there, ERD50. We can always count on you to see things differently than most.

I believe the message in the video is that we tend to pay too much attention to the form and appearance and forget what is more important. Yes, I agree with you that we should not be drinking coffee out of a styrofoam cup, unless we really have to. But we do not need a gold-plated cup either, nor look at our neighbor's cup to see if ours is of a lesser class.

Anyway talking about choosing cups, I remember this scene from an Indiana Jones movie: "He chose poorly".

Indiana Jones, Nazi Uber aging - YouTube

Last edited:
Very good points there, ERD50. We can always count on you to see things differently than most.

I believe the message in the video is that we tend to pay too much attention to the form and appearance and forget what is more important. Yes, I agree with you that we should not be drinking coffee out of a styrofoam cup, unless we really have to. But we do not need a gold-plated cup either, nor look at our neighbor's cup to see if ours is of a lesser class.

Anyway talking about choosing cups, I remember this scene from an Indiana Jones movie: "He chose poorly".

I love that scene from Indiana Jones - "You must choose wisely..." One of my all time favorites. :dance: It's right up there with "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

Yes, I know what the intended message was. But from my perspective, it totally failed to hit it. Sure, maybe we shouldn't stress out to pay for a BMW if a Honda will do. I get it. But this is saying we should dump the arts, they add nothing to our lives, and just add stress. I bet the producer stressed out about what music to use, he/she should have just dumped the music to stay true to the message.

-ERD50

I did not get the message that we should just throw all our chinaware out and eat out of paper plates and styrofoam cups. :LOL:

I guess perhaps I should watch the presentation again. :)

I remember in an RV thread a long time ago, a poster derided people who traveled in the common type of motor home, which I guess he regarded as a peasant's means of traveling. He did not specify, but I guessed he would not consider RV travel unless it was a first-class model with gold-plated faucets, marble countertops, Bose (or whatever) surround sound system, etc...

I guess for some people, that kind of surrounding would enhance their viewing of the Grand Teton, or the Alaskan wilderness, because they would not leave the confine of their deluxe motor home. They would not dare! How? They would no longer be in an air-conditioned environment, to be cocooned in luxury. It's a scary world out there for them. They are much happier viewing the landscape through the windows, and pity the people who camp out in tents, or traveling in lesser vehicles.

I think the presentation in the OP is meant for those people.

Last edited:
I guess I disagree with the whole premise.

Sorry, I don't get it - even seems backwards to me.

Yes, I know what the intended message was. But from my perspective, it totally failed to hit it. Sure, maybe we shouldn't stress out to pay for a BMW if a Honda will do. I get it. But this is saying we should dump the arts, they add nothing to our lives, and just add stress. I bet the producer stressed out about what music to use, he/she should have just dumped the music to stay true to the message.
There's a surprise. Aside from not knowing what's coffee and what's a cup, since you know, how would you have conveyed the "intended message" to a broad audience then?

One of my Christmas presents last year, and my fav, was a coffee cup with the picture of my two grandsons. As much as I agree with the premise of the video coffee really does taste better when I use that cup.

But that is not the same thing as the story people's choice of most ornate and expensive looking cups. I believe the message is "1) Material things are just the vehicles for life enjoyment, not the end in themselves, and 2) Do not look at your neighbor's cup for a comparison".

I watched the presentation again. That second point was mentioned.

Last edited:
I will start a coffee cup picture thread if it has not already been done.

Mike D.

Back
Top Bottom