Low carb diets gain respect

Yes, it's anecdotal, but still...

Attachments

• I rest my case.jpg
    I rest my case.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 37
REWahoo said:
Yes, it's anecdotal, but still...

Well, yeah, but I've noticed that sort of thing too. Some of the more extreme diet and health regimen folks I know look much older than their calendar age, and I'm pretty sure it's not just avoiding makeup. It's a little odd seeing someone advocating his particular health regimen that looks like he's 75 years old, when you know he's in his 50s.

Maybe extreme anything isn't all that good for us. Everything in moderation... Especially excess. :)

Well, yeah, but I've noticed that sort of thing too. Some of the more extreme diet and health regimen folks I know look much older than their calendar age, and I'm pretty sure it's not just avoiding makeup. It's a little odd seeing someone advocating his particular health regimen that looks like he's 75 years old, when you know he's in his 50s.

Maybe extreme anything isn't all that good for us. Everything in moderation... Especially [-]excess[/-] moderation. :)

Fify

I'm a low fat type of dieter, but I have been riding bikes for years with a fairly competitive crowd, many with trainers that are pros. Independent of your diet bias, the first 1/2 hour after your workout is the most important time to feed your muscles with carbs and protein. I don't understand it all, but something about the first 1/2 hour is when some type of receptors in the muscles are in the best "mode" to accept the carbs and protein necessary to help rebuild the muscles.

I drink Hammer Recoverite for the carbs and eat some form of protein immediately after working out. I have much more muscle pain for longer period (days) if I don't.

Typical workouts are 20-40 miles on the bike at 18-22 mph.

Take it FWIW

Here's a 45 year old vegetarian (OK maybe she was younger when they took this shot). No point, I just wanted to post this.

Pamela+Anderson+Bikni.jpg

Vegetarian:

article-0-02D28178000005DC-743_468x336.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a 45 year old vegetarian (OK maybe she was younger when they took this shot). No point, I just wanted to post this.
I don't think that's organic, or at the very least it's been fed some sort of growth hormones...

Here is an interesting talk by a cardiac surgeon on saturated fats:

Enjoy Eating Saturated Fats: They're Good for You. Donald W. Miller, Jr., M.D. - YouTube

The first third or so is a good summary of why most people and authorities believe saturated fat is bad. The rest is amusing because it has some video clips from the FatHead movie and other sources.

It's also interesting because he describes how he used to advise patients to eat a low fat diet, but then decided that he had been wrong.

He puts a little too much emphasis on how increased carb consumption is correlated with obesity and diabetes -- implying causation. I also think he's wrong about artificial sweeteners.

At the end, when someone asks "Then it's OK to eat full-fat ice cream?" he says yes. I think he should have said, "No. The fat is OK, but there's too much sugar."

Here is an interesting talk by a cardiac surgeon on saturated fats:

The first third or so is a good summary of why most people and authorities believe saturated fat is bad. The rest is amusing because it has some video clips from the FatHead movie and other sources.

It's also interesting because he describes how he used to advise patients to eat a low fat diet, but then decided that he had been wrong.

He puts a little too much emphasis on how increased carb consumption is correlated with obesity and diabetes -- implying causation. I also think he's wrong about artificial sweeteners.

At the end, when someone asks "Then it's OK to eat full-fat ice cream?" he says yes. I think he should have said, "No. The fat is OK, but there's too much sugar."
He has a high quality resume, unlike some fringey doctors who espouse popular regimens.

Dr. Donald W. Miller Jr, MD, Seattle, WA - General Surgery

The other thing I didn't like was that he didn't know how to answer the question "What about getting enough fiber?" He said he didn't really know, and said that meat had fiber. For me the correct answer is, "Eat some psyllium husks."

Interesting video Al but that guy needs some work on his presentation skills. He was like a dose of Ambien i enjoyed the historical clips. They make clear just how flimsy the basis is for standard dietary guidelines. As to the fat good, fat bad controversy we have been having on the other thread I don't think this guy contributed any real science. I still feel like I am relying on opinions. That said, I was down at 172 when I left for California on Wednesday. I am probably averaging 100 to 150 carbs/day on the trip. It will be interesting to see how I stand when I get home.

donheff, I'll be interested to hear your results from the trip. I went on a 10 day with a friend who drinks beer and loves the pubs, so I did also and we had whatever was there (fish and chips, burgers and fries, etc). I gained 7 lbs in 10 days.

I thought it might be water weight but not so, my abs were gone when I got home. It was fat. Has taken me maybe 15 days to get rid of 5 of those pounds going back to the Dukan attack.

Last edited:
haha said:
... And if he sees his enamorata waliking around town with a tube up her nose, immediately abort mission.

Ha

Wait! You can eat through this tube... while walking around? This sounds even better than a beer hat!

I need two Philly cheese steaks, and the big blender...

I looked at the ingrediant in some of the low-carb baking mixes. The problem I have is that they seem to be very manufactured products. So, I am not sure using them really amounts to 'eating real food'.

Back
Top Bottom