Low sugar Breakfast always a challenge

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've got a 9AM appointment with the doc this morning- no doubt we be discussing Fridays 645am blood test. During my surgery my sugar went through the roof: 300. Just like last time. (Pre surgery i wasn't moving around too much too) They gave me some insulin. Post surgery I've been eating carefully, small portions and I've lost weight, no appetite. It's been almost 6 weeks.

The meal I struggle with most is breakfast... my usual fare:
--Cheerios and a couple of raisons (fast and easy)
--Eggs (2) and a couple of tater tots (I've been home so she's been fixing them for me)
--All Wheat pancakes, all wheat waffles no sugar maple syrup (when I get bored of eggs)
--Rye toast with butter and low sugar blueberry jam. (When I'm in a rush)

Any thoughts on a fast, filling low sugar breakfast? Im clearly not perfect with this..

-------------------
On the knee front:
Woke up 4am iced knee, went back to bed fell asleep to 6. Big white dog scratched.

Last edited:
Bacon and eggs is a very low carb/sugar breakfast... if you can resist having some toast or an english muffin with it, and assuming your diet is okay with bacon.

However, if your BS is spiking into the 300's, you should probably be talking to your doctor about whether or not it is appropriate for you to be getting on insulin as part of your BS management.

Bacon and sausage or eggs is my go to low carb breakfast. I am at my target weight so I now add in some hash browns or toast. When I am lazy or more hurried I eat a small bowl of Hi-Lo cereal from Netrition.org (I buy them 6 boxes at a time). It tastes better than cheerios but has high fiber and only 5 grams of digestible carbs per serving. Whole milk with everything.

~3/4 cup of full fat plain Greek yogurt
~1/4 cup plain kefir
1 scoop vanilla whey protein isolate
1/4 - 1/2 cup of berries (whatever is cheap)
Small handful of granola for crunch

My weekday breakfast. Low carb, very little sugar, 60g protein, good fat and good for your gut.

Almost always bacon/sausage and eggs.

To make it more filling/satisfying and extend the time until I want another meal, I add cheese to the eggs. Sometimes quite a bit of cheese, since that usually does the trick for me.

Heavy whipping cream in my coffee.

toss out the Cheerios and the pancakes, it doesn't matter that they are whole wheat.

Another vote for the whole fat yogurt, either plain or Greek. Plain yogurt is an acquired taste and some brands taste much better then others. My favorite is the Aldi's Simply Nature Organic. one half cup will give only about 5 or 6 sugars. Eat with a berry fruit as they are pretty low sugar and carb.

Since I'm ER at least 5 or 6 lunches a week are eggs so I don't do them for breakfast.

Another idea is a potion of your favorite hard cheese and a small portion of your favorite nuts, careful with nuts, the calories can really add up fast.

I have a sweet tooth so I add a touch of Splenda and vanilla to the Greek, whole fat yogurt. Tastes great, very filling.

Sausage Muffin:

Toasted English Muffin
Microwaved Breakfast Sausage (from Walmart fits the muffin)
Slice of American Cheese

Time less than 10 min from fridge to finished

Any thoughts on a fast, filling low sugar breakfast? Im clearly not perfect with this..

For a quick low-carb breakfast I would suggest trying Kellogg's Special K Protein (NOT the Protein Cinnamon). A serving size has only 14 gm of carbs.

My wife and I are not big on breakfast, however as a type II diabetic I need to eat something. I'd be just about as happy drinking a big Diet Coke and catching an early lunch.

But the 300's is pretty high for blood sugar. I wasn't a bad, bad type II, however my sugar levels varied too much just taking pills. I'd suggest anyone going to an endocrinologist early as they're better equipped to deal with that problem than just a Family Practice or Internal Medicine physician.

My doctor put me on insulin shots for awhile, and they're no big deal. But because I was approaching Medicare age, he got my insurance to pay for a Medtronic insulin pump. The pump is actually just an electronic syringe that injects a very small amount every hour. I check my blood sugar reading before meals and compute the carbs. I'm taking in. Put those two numbers into the pump and it dispenses the correct amount of insulin. It's so easy to manage, and those on the pump live an average 2 years longer than those without the pump. The best news is that Medicare Part B pays 80% of the $100 monthly supplies and those $255 vials of insulin.

I don't eat breakfast everyday, but when I do it's usually a 2-egg omelette with some diced veggies... and sometimes a small amount of ham or cheese if we have some on hand. Low carb, low fat, low sugar, and very satisfying. Wash it down with black coffee.

Green eggs and Ham! (regular eggs will do also).
Seriously, lose ALL grain-based products, potatoes, etc. - even fruits (especially sweetened or dried fruits) Focus on vegetables, proteins and fats.
If your blood sugar is high, stop pumping in more carbs. Yes, you can shoot insulin to counteract the carbs, but why would you? Do you also step on the gas at the same time you step on the brake when you drive? I think not - otherwise you'll soon wear out your engine AND your brakes

Last edited:
One thing about bacon and eggs for every day is time + clean up - a PITA.

One thing I do is a large muffin pan (souffle size), 6 muffin size.

Mix 12 eggs, a little cream, fill the 6 pans (they won't be full, obv, 2 eggs worth each) Then stick in some mushrooms, cheese, pre-cooked bacon or ham, sausage, etc). spinach, greens ok too.

Bake for about 20 mins. Then you've got almost a week's breakfasts ready to nuke each morning.

If it's white or brown you can't eat it. No potato, wheat, sugar. If it crunches it has to be green or bacon.

My breakfasts alternate between:
- protein shakes (Weight Watchers)
- protein bars (Quest)
- Trader Joe's fat free plain Greek yogurt, with Splenda and berries or apple chunks added. Sometimes sprinkle walnut pieces on top.
- An egg with turkey sausage. Sometimes with no bread, sometimes with a toasted slice of Sara Lee 45 calories and delicious multi-grain bread.
- Egg white omelette with cheese and/or turkey sausage crumbles.

The first two are when I'm in a hurry to go somewhere. The rest are still pretty easy but require more prep and clean-up. All are low fat, low carb, and low calorie.

YMMV, but I think removing the yolk from the eggs takes away the flavor, the vitamins and nutrients and the part of the eggs that keeps you from getting hungry. Would you care to share why you don't eat them?

~3/4 cup of full fat plain Greek yogurt
~1/4 cup plain kefir
1 scoop vanilla whey protein isolate
1/4 - 1/2 cup of berries (whatever is cheap)
Small handful of granola for crunch

My weekday breakfast. Low carb, very little sugar, 60g protein, good fat and good for your gut.
I make a smoothie similar to these ingredients. Instead of granola, I throw in some almonds or peanut butter and blend in. (Shout out to this board for getting me going on Kefir.)

So, same idea, just blended. Sometimes instead of yogurt, I go with soy milk, even less sugar.

I rarely have cereal anymore. OK, maybe some unsweetened shredded wheat. Most of the other stuff is crap.

You breakfast diet appears heavy in carbs. Cereal, pancakes, syrup(?) toast, jams, and fruit. Carbs turn into sugar as you digest them.

Eggs, bacon or ham, Greek yougurt(not the sugary fruity kind) no toast or fruit. Still hungry try some bullet proof coffee.

Either really track the food labels or use a tool like myfitnesspal(free)to aggregate all you data daily and review. When I did that it was eye opening, the amount carbs I didn't know I was eating.

There's a low carb sub group there with great ideas.

Good luck. Obviously meds are better than not controlling your BS.

Replace the Cheerios with steel cut oats, though they aren't as bad as many cereals are.

I make my own granola using regular oats, spelt flakes, nuts, seeds, dried fruit cut into chunks , a bit of oil, water and 1/4 cup of honey. (It's the recipe in the book Always Hungry, but I add more seeds and replace half the oatmeal with spelt flakes.) That makes about 8 cups. Because there is no pulverized flour in it, it takes longer to digest and supposedly keeps the blood sugar levels from spiking.

Really, veggie omelettes are my #1 defense against a sugary, carby breakfast. Once or twice a week I have the granola mentioned above. Sometimes I have whole milk plain yogurt with fresh fruit. But, really it's omelettes that keep me alive in the morning. I even ate them back in the days when all those eggs were bad for us. Thankfully, modern chickens lay eggs so they are no longer bad for us.:rolleyes:

I recommend you read the book Always Hungry.

Last edited:
One thing about bacon and eggs for every day is time + clean up - a PITA.

Yep, this is something I struggle with. So much easier to eat some yogurt with a little pre-cut fruit and granola on top than making eggs or smoothies every morning. And I tend to avoid things like bacon and sausage (too much added salt and loaded with saturated animal fats), so that makes it even tougher to find good low-sugar, low-carb, quick-and-easy breakfast foods.

Recently I found some relatively healthy frozen blueberry waffles (high fiber, low sugar), so I'll toast one of the them, slather on some butter, and pair that with a hard-boiled egg for a quick and semi-healthy breakfast a few times a week.

I do eat cereal (Cheerios, Kashi, Special K), but prefer oatmeal and a protein shake. My waking blood sugars are always on the high side.

Avocados or guacamole can be a good sub for bacon and sausage. I find I'm losing my taste for fried meats as I get older.

Omelette is my go to for breakfast when I'm travelling. When I'm at home, I eat steel oats. Nuts, cheese, and fresh fruit should help too.

My sugar-free breakfast:

- mug of hot, black coffee
- plain oatmeal made with water
- top off with crushed, mixed nuts

With this, I'm good until lunch.

Back
Top Bottom