Low sugar Breakfast always a challenge

My sugar-free breakfast:

- mug of hot, black coffee
- plain oatmeal made with water
- top off with crushed, mixed nuts

With this, I'm good until lunch.

a good breakfast but not diabetic or blood sugar friendly...this is going to be at least 25 carbs maybe more depending on how much oatmeal you eat.

I do eat cereal (Cheerios, Kashi, Special K), but prefer oatmeal and a protein shake. My waking blood sugars are always on the high side.

This is a relatively high carb, not really blood sugar friendly type breakfast..I always try not to eat grains of any kind for my first 2 meals of the day.

Avocados or guacamole can be a good sub for bacon and sausage. I find I'm losing my taste for fried meats as I get older.
There's a lot of interesting ideas I've seen with avocado and baked eggs. Sound great.

This is a relatively high carb, not really blood sugar friendly type breakfast..I always try not to eat grains of any kind for my first 2 meals of the day.

I know, but thats what I usually eat for breakfast. Lunch is typically greek yogurt and fruit.

I know, but thats what I usually eat for breakfast. Lunch is typically greek yogurt and fruit.

I'm not the food police, but I noticed you said your morning blood sugars tended to be higher....have you tried switching lunch and breakfast and then checking your blood sugar?

After the gym, I cook us steel-cut oats and walnuts, topped with Greek yogurt and various kinds of fruit. We don't "count" anything; this is simply the best-tasting fiber and nutrition we have found. Sometimes I substitute bulgur wheat for the steel-cut oats.

The fruit contributes plenty of sweetness - no need for added sugar.

If this hadn't already been done, your doctor can set you up with a nutritionist/dietitian who specialuzes in diabetic programs. He or she would give you some plans to go with your preferences and lifestyle and work with you.

If this hadn't already been done, your doctor can set you up with a nutritionist/dietitian who specialuzes in diabetic programs. He or she would give you some plans to go with your preferences and lifestyle and work with you.
+1
It's good to get to the expert's.

Typically doctors aren't trained very much in nutrition, much less then I guessed. Anytime I asked my last MD nutritional questions he'd get his nurse, who had more education on nutrition.

While bacon and eggs sounds delicious, I have to wonder if this just introduces a cholesterol problem while addressing the low sugar problem. I guess it depends on whether the OP has to manage both blood sugar and cholesterol.

For me, I have to pay attention to sodium, and eating bacon, sausage, cheese, and other process items would put me over the sodium limit before I even finished breakfast.

And while things like oatmeal and fruit (apples for me) do have carbs, these carbs are processed differently than carbs from refined products like white flour and sugar.

I'll defer to the OP's nutritionist to determine if that's appropriate, but fruit and oatmeal sounds like a much better alternative to bacon and eggs over the long term.

Eggs, man, eggs and more eggs...it's what got me good again on the low carb routine. I probably still eat 20 or so a week! My DW says I cluck in my sleep!

(Just having fun above)

I didn't go on a low carb routine because of diabetes, I just needed to lose some weight, although the resultant weight loss has helped in a lot of ways. And my recent blood work was all good at the age of 73. Cholesterol was normal (but I never had a problem with it)

I agree with feever and MRG about listening to the doc and/or nutritionist and setting the course of action, but low carb breakfasts may be a big help.

Everyone loves bacon!:dance:

Another strong vote for oatmeal. It's good for you and is filling. I have an English muffin, or half a bagel, with it. I prefer Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oats, but they're all good in my opinion..

The obligatory picture of a healthy breakfast:

Attachments

• bacon.png
    bacon.png
    392.6 KB · Views: 29
so the glycemic index of a serving of whole oats is 58..the index ranges from 1 to 100. A whole bagel is around 72. I don't know about sugar but this is not a good breakfast for someone with any blood sugar issues.

While bacon and eggs sounds delicious, I have to wonder if this just introduces a cholesterol problem while addressing the low sugar problem.

And while things like oatmeal and fruit (apples for me) do have carbs, these carbs are processed differently than carbs from refined products like white flour and sugar.

I'll defer to the OP's nutritionist to determine if that's appropriate, but fruit and oatmeal sounds like a much better alternative to bacon and eggs over the long term.

Egg are no longer a NO NO. Apparently, modern chickens lay modern eggs that do not cause cholesterol problems. Or, the people who told us to limit eggs were wrong. :eek:

I love bacon, but I do limit my consumption. :baconflag:

Still, the people who told us bacon is bad also told us that eggs and whole milk dairy was bad. And, for at least a while, that processed grains, sugary low fat foods, and high-transfat margarine were good. Today, that advice is in doubt. The August issue of Consumer Reports had a whole article about the benefits of whole milk yogurt.

Last edited:
Eating high cholesterol foods doesn't mean it will make your cholesterol problem worse. It may depend on your body. I think no relation even.

I make a pound of bacon at a time and then we just reheat in the microwave. Quick and easy.

From The Universe Today Website:

While our ancestors have been around for about six million years, the modern form of humans only evolved about 200,000 years ago. Civilization as we know it is only about 6,000 years old, and industrialization started in the earnest only in the 1800s. While we’ve accomplished much in that short time -- added by me --- Doctors still have not figured out what we should be eating!

Some good ideas here; subscribing as I'm trying to cut down my sugar intake.
Also reading Gary Taubes' "The Case Against Sugar", which is also providing motivation.

In the words of Andrew Zimmern: If it Looks Good, Eat It:D

Eggs were bad, now they are good.

Butter was bad, now it is OK.

The food pyramid touted large quantities of carbs, now not so good

As one poster here has in their tag line: All things in moderation, including moderation:LOL:

After the gym, I cook us steel-cut oats and walnuts, topped with Greek yogurt and various kinds of fruit.
Nice! I have found I can make a boatload of steel-cut, and then freeze them in portions for later. Not too bad on a thaw, and makes for a quicker prep.

The August issue of Consumer Reports had a whole article about the benefits of whole milk yogurt.
And Kefir.

The med diet has whole yogurt, besides all the olive oil. Seems to work for them. I find that whole kefir in my smoothies helps satisfy so I'm not starving come lunch time.

And I used to be a zero fat guy. Snackwells cookies were my friend. Low fat! <yikes>

Yes - cooked whole grains freeze excellently. If mixed with cinnamon/yogurt/walnuts, it will taste even better when thawed. Flavors get acquainted in the freezer ;^> And still no added sugar.

Low/no fat has its place: In fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, which never had fat to begin with. When manufacturers started pushing "no-fat cheese" I said "Abomination! Enough!"

Nice! I have found I can make a boatload of steel-cut, and then freeze them in portions for later. Not too bad on a thaw, and makes for a quicker prep.

And I used to be a zero fat guy. Snackwells cookies were my friend. Low fat! <yikes>

I have blood sugar issues, hypoglycemia not diabetes, but nonetheless I watch my sugars. Crashing is my issue. My breakfast for the last 20 years is 1/2 cup fresh fruit with a 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese and then oatmeal or shredded wheat. Complex carbs, protein and just a little fat provide good energy until lunch with no crashes (or spikes) in blood sugar.

Eating high cholesterol foods doesn't mean it will make your cholesterol problem worse. It may depend on your body. I think no relation even.

It doesn't mean it won't either. The research changes constantly on this, and at best the conclusion is that high cholesterol food may not increase cholesterol levels in some people.

However, the general exception I've read on this is for people with diabetes. These people still have to be particularly sensitive to high cholesterol diets. And foods that are high in cholesterol are often high in saturated fat as well, which is generally considered bad for you.

I don't think we are even close to understanding the impact of food on our bodies. There is too much conflicting information out there and genetics plays a bigger role in overall health than diet.

A good article for those who wish to read more...

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/02/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

Back
Top Bottom