Low sugar Breakfast always a challenge

My wife is not 100 lbs :) (BMI of 21 though), and these ladies eat more than what she does for breakfast. She only has a cup of tea, no sugar, no milk.

So do I. Low carb enough for you?
Only a cup of tea? I used to be able to just have a cup of cafe au lait in the morning, and that would last me until 11:00am.
But since I've got married my husband always makes me breakfast. I said to him that it's his fault that I don't have a BMI of 21.

Not only that my wife only has a cup of tea, she does not want her tea too strong.

So, we share a tea bag. She dunks the bag in her cup for maybe 10 seconds, and lets me have it.

Two persons, one tea bag for breakfast. How cheaper can it get?

Not only that my wife only has a cup of tea, she does not want her tea too strong.

So, we share a tea bag. She dunks the bag in her cup for maybe 10 seconds, and lets me have it.

Not for breakfast, but my DW often drinks a big mug of hot water in the winter.

Not for breakfast, but my DW often drinks a big mug of hot water in the winter.

I know some people do that, but while I like to drink cold water I cannot drink hot or warm water with no taste.

Last edited:
a good breakfast but not diabetic or blood sugar friendly...this is going to be at least 25 carbs maybe more depending on how much oatmeal you eat.
Net carbs in my packet of oatmeal: 16g
Net carbs in nuts: 4g
Net carbs in coffee: 0g

Total net carbs for breakfast: 20g

While this won't work for Phase 1 of Atkins, it's great for Phase 2.

Net carbs in my packet of oatmeal: 16g
Net carbs in nuts: 4g
Net carbs in coffee: 0g

Total net carbs for breakfast: 20g

While this won't work for Phase 1 of Atkins, it's great for Phase 2.

Yea for coffee I try to not to drink carbs....my rule is you have to chew them.

This thread is an inspiration to me: I had some Jimmy Dean sausage, three eggs, and broccoli all scrambled together along with a couple slices of toast with butter and jelly for dinner just now. :)

The meal I struggle with most is breakfast... my usual fare:
--Cheerios and a couple of raisons (fast and easy)
--Eggs (2) and a couple of tater tots (I've been home so she's been fixing them for me)
--All Wheat pancakes, all wheat waffles no sugar maple syrup (when I get bored of eggs)
--Rye toast with butter and low sugar blueberry jam. (When I'm in a rush)

Any thoughts on a fast, filling low sugar breakfast? Im clearly not perfect with this.
You have know that starch (carbohydrate) is a just a polymer of sugar and your body (and saliva) has enzymes to break that starch down into sugar. So ...
Cheerios == sugar
wheat pancakes == sugar
rye toast == sugar

You can use artificial sweeteners to eliminate sugar. So although oatmeal is carbohydrate, you can eat oatmeal with artificial sweetener and protein by adding a protein powder to it. Or you can eat eggs.

I usually eat half-cup of oatmeal (cook it and it is 3 times more plus walnuts plus protein powder added. You can add artificial sweetener a few ways. It's very filling. Also some milk, but milk has lactose (a sugar ) in it.

Last edited:
I kind of liken the complex carb vs refined sugar thing to diesel vs gasoline. Both can fuel you, but some do it with more of a spike than others.

OK, not a perfect analogy. I know there are a lot of Chem E's on this list and I don't want to draw their ire. :) I do think there is something to having Capt'n Crunch vs Steel Cut Oats, for example, even if they measure out as the same grams of sugar.

So because I'm curious about diabetes could you indulge me with a couple of questions? Are you insulin dependent and that's why you check your morning sugars? It seems counter intuitive to take carbs when the BS is higher. No problem if you don't want to answer

I know I don't understand a lot of the nuances involved. We have a close friend a life long bachelor of 65 who is really struggling with insulin control right now. He will share his problems sometimes and ask for advice so I don't want to say something that isn't helpful. And before you can say it, Yes I tell him to ask his doctor or use the internet, but he is a stubborn dude.

I am insulin resistant and not eating makes my numbers go high, especially overnight. My A1Cs over the past decade have stayed about 5.7. I do not regularly monitor, but med wise, I am taking Metformin. I realize that if I lowered my carb intake, I could probably drive them down further, but your cells need glucose for energy.

Last edited:
YMMV, but I think removing the yolk from the eggs takes away the flavor, the vitamins and nutrients and the part of the eggs that keeps you from getting hungry. Would you care to share why you don't eat them?

I will eat scrambled eggs and occasionally a fried egg, but I actually don't like the flavor of yolks unless I'm in the mood for them. Most of the time I'm not. However I do really like egg whites either boiled with salt & pepper or in an omelette with other flavorful ingredients.

I am insulin resistant and not eating makes my numbers go high, especially overnight. My A1Cs over the past decade have stayed about 5.7. I do not regularly monitor, but med wise, I am taking Metformin. I realize that if I lowered my carb intake, I could probably drive them down further, but your cells need glucose for energy.

Actually, proteins have about the same amount of energy per unit weight as glucose does, and fats have more energy. When you are not eating glucose or other simple sugars, your body begins gluconeogenesis (making new glucose) from the glycogen and amino acids stored in your liver.

Don't worry, if you adopt a low carb diet, your cells will have plenty energy to chew on.

Last edited:
Actually, proteins have about the same amount of energy per unit weight as glucose does, and fats have more energy. When you are not eating glucose or other simple sugars, your body begins gluconeogenesis (making new glucose) from the glycogen and amino acids stored in your liver.

Don't worry, if you adopt a low carb diet, your cells will have plenty energy to chew on.
+1
There's an RDA for protein and fat, none for carbs. I think the Intuiit pretty much prove that.

There's many folks on MFP(Low carbers) who consume less than 10 grams of net carbs daily.

+1
There's an RDA for protein and fat, none for carbs. I think the Intuiit pretty much prove that.

There's many folks on MFP(Low carbers) who consume less than 10 grams of net carbs daily.

Your body can burn ketones for energy just as easily as glucose for energy (note: the brain actually needs glucose, but the body can synthesize plenty for that need from protein). Ketones care generated from "fat".

It's almost like our bodies are all set up to run w/o carbs just fine if they are missing from the diet.

It becomes a balancing act depending on ones personal situation. I had pancreatitis and was advised to stay low fat, further too much protein can be hard on the kidneys. I guess with respect to carbs, its better to eat slow digesting ones (e.g. oatmeal vs cheerios), but I have found that I have more energy to play softball and workout after some breakfast carbs, YMMV.

I will eat scrambled eggs and occasionally a fried egg, but I actually don't like the flavor of yolks unless I'm in the mood for them. Most of the time I'm not. However I do really like egg whites either boiled with salt & pepper or in an omelette with other flavorful ingredients.
That's the best part. Toasted bread dips in egg yolk. My husband apologizes to me when he cooks them too hard. He knows I like the yolk runny.

For a low carb/sugar breakfast, bacon and eggs along with black coffee sounds great to me. I need to start eating this type of breakfast. :baconflag:

Definitely beats reusing dryer sheets! :LOL:

It becomes a balancing act depending on ones personal situation. I had pancreatitis and was advised to stay low fat, further too much protein can be hard on the kidneys. I guess with respect to carbs, its better to eat slow digesting ones (e.g. oatmeal vs cheerios), but I have found that I have more energy to play softball and workout after some breakfast carbs, YMMV.

Your history of pancreatitis is certainly a complicating factor. A normal diet will not contain "too much protein" unless you also have renal impairment.

My personal experience has always been that I have more sustained energy to face the day when I have protein +/- fat in my breakfast. When I eat such a breakfast, I often don't need any lunch. If I eat mostly carbs at breakfast, I get hungry again mid morning. But that's just me. Obviously your mileage does vary.

Today's breakfast:
Two egg omelette with homemade pesto, grape tomatoes and grated Parmesan. Fresh ground coffee with 2% milk. Yum!

My today's bearkfast:

Two eggs over medium, two scrambled eggs, two strips of bacon, two small pork sausage links, two cups of black coffee. (something about those 2's??)

I have plenty of energy after this breakfast and I am not hungry until dinner time. Latety, dinner is grilled chicken breast and steamed broccolli or cauliflour, which I cook.

DW will sneak in some bread or sweet potatoes, of which I won't eat.

A year ago, I got on a low carb routine and lost 30 pounds. I fell off over the holidays and when DW got pretty sick and I had to care for her. I'm back on the low cab again and my recent blood work has been perfect for a "over 70" guy.

You have know that starch (carbohydrate) is a just a polymer of sugar and your body (and saliva) has enzymes to break that starch down into sugar. So ...
Cheerios == sugar
wheat pancakes == sugar
rye toast == sugar
It is confusing. The term sugar for most people means it will be sweet. Starch is not sweet. Biochemically, those 5 and 6 carbon rings are sugars, but this is not what we call sugar on our tables. Table sugar is sucrose, and sucrose is a dimer of fructose and glucose, which chemically are simple sugars. HFCS is also fructose and glucose. Starch does not equal sugar. When it is digested, it equals glucose. Starch is in fact as you say a polymer, but a polymer of glucose, so no fructose molecule is present. Fructose metabolism is very different from glucose metabolism, and it appears that fructose might be a culprit in obesity, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes. Starch is a carbohydrate, as is sucrose. Sucrose is also table sugar.

Ha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom