May is National Skin Cancer Awareness Month

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
You can get free skin cancer screenings.

I go to the local Med school.

I can't find a site to locate screenings.

Do any of you medical folks have a link to a site?

The dermatologists really need to work on putting their PR together.

You can get free skin cancer screenings.

I go to the local Med school.

I can't find a site to locate screenings.

Do any of you medical folks have a link to a site?

The dermatologists really need to work on putting their PR together.

I was suppose to have an appointment on 4/30 but had to reschedule for May. I'm going to hit them up for a free visit. :) I'm sure I will get nowhere with that.

This is definitely worth doing, though. I had a basal cell carcinoma taken off my face last year. I'm relatively young -- 30's -- so was utterly surprised.

If the mole had been on my back where I can't see it, who knows how long it would have been before I got it taken care of. I go every six months now and will for the rest of my life.

So yes, go get screened!

If the mole had been on my back where I can't see it, who knows how long it would have been before I got it taken care of.

That is one of the issues that I noticed about living alone. No more, "Hey honey, what is that black thing on your back?"

Ha

Standing in front of my dermatologist in the buff, arms outstretched, slowly turning around while he checks out all the bumbs and spots is an annual ritual for me. He keeps a "map" on record and notes changes. Over the last few years, he's removed three "things."

That is one of the issues that I noticed about living alone. No more, "Hey honey, what is that black thing on your back?"

Ha
Something like this
Headwest at Lowe's: 14" x 56" Bev Door Mirror
mounted on an interior door so you can back right up to it...
plus a handheld mirror like this
Amazon.com: Mirror* Hand* Large* Black: Health & Personal Care
should do the trick.
If you have a public department store with floor length mirrors in the dressing rooms, take a small handheld mirror (dollar store or garage sale) with you and try it out. Wear a print shirt so you can visually distinguish fine detail. Stand right close to the mirror and use the handheld at a slight angle to see your back.
Experiment is to see how well your vision works with the mirrors. The wider the handheld the better.
And yes, I did try this out at home. :flowers:

Results

Nothing that looked cancerous.

Interesting how they have names for all that stuff that starts showing up with age.

One thing I have is CNH; the doctor agreed that it might be related to my arthritis.

Back
Top Bottom