Mobile App Changes

I would hold off on worrying about this situation until we see what the new software has to offer. From the original post:

In the coming months, we'll be moving to new software

I’m sure there will be challenges for all ahead but hopefully things will be better on the other side. Personally, I’m hoping for a “Like” button. :)

ER app problems

I had to clear cookies and web data yesterday and the ER.org app stopped working. Can’t sign back in even after removing and reinstalling the app. What am I missing?

I had to clear cookies and web data yesterday and the ER.org app stopped working. Can’t sign back in even after removing and reinstalling the app. What am I missing?

We moved your thread into this one. Please read from the beginning and you'll understand.

not working for me but that just started yesterday.

+1. and so far Mobile view is disappointing, especially if I return to a thread that I've read before it brings me back to the beginning of the thread instead of where I left off. Crossing my fingers but huge step backwards so far.

From a good app experience to a very disappointing “Mobile View” experience. I hope this isn’t the final product.

+1. and so far Mobile view is disappointing, especially if I return to a thread that I've read before it brings me back to the beginning of the thread instead of where I left off. Crossing my fingers but huge step backwards so far.

Just figured out that if I tap on the brown arrow to the right of the thread title that it brings me to where I left off. I didn't notice that yesterday. Helps.

Thanks to the administrators and moderators who keep this forum running smoothly. I do hope that an app will be available in the future.

Just figured out that if I tap on the brown arrow to the right of the thread title that it brings me to where I left off. I didn't notice that yesterday. Helps.

That arrow is "Go to last post", not "Go to first new post", which is what I really want.

You can use the Desktop View, which does have the "Go to first new post" button, on a mobile device by going to the Forums page and selecting it there. Desktop View is fine on my iPad, and acceptable on my Android phone when it's in landscape orientation.

I use my Android phone on the website and whenever I open a thread I've viewed previously, it takes me to the first unread post, which is exactly what I want...

early-retirement app on phone

Is it working for you? I have an Android phone and it won't launch. Restarted the phone but still no go. It's been like that for 2 days.

I want to provide you with some context regarding the changes to our mobile app access, based on my experience as an early investor in Tapatalk (the company who provided the app). This year, some unsettling developments occurred within Tapatalk's ownership.

The company underwent a reorganization, which involved establishing a new company and transitioning the ownership of Tapatalk into this new entity. Details of these changes, some of which are confidential, have given me pause and raised serious concerns about the direction in which Tapatalk is heading.

It’s become clear that their way of business does not align with the high standards we hold for our partners. Consequently, I've lost trust in their ability to serve our community appropriately.

I assure you, the decision to disconnect from Tapatalk is made with the security and privacy of our users and data as the top priority.

I understand the frustrations that come with change, especially when it involves a tool as integral to your daily interactions as the Tapatalk app has been. Please know that we share in your sentiment and are actively seeking out the best possible solutions. We are exploring a forum software upgrade that would include a responsive web application that captures the user-friendly experience you've enjoyed, but operates seamlessly through a web browser.

We appreciate your understanding and patience as we navigate this challenge. Your unwavering support is what fuels our commitment to providing a platform that is safe, reliable, and conducive to the vibrant exchange of knowledge and camaraderie that our forums are known for.

Thank you for being a valued part of our community. We are looking forward to moving ahead with solutions that keep our members' best interests at heart.

Last edited:
Thanks for giving the background.
I hope you find an app as convenient as the prior one.
Also, thanks for your time, efforts and support to the forum.
Chris2008

My mobile app just stopped working this week. After removing and redownloading the app several times to try and resolve the issue, I finally looked and found this thread and see that the mobile app has been removed. I tried the web version and it works. Although I do not like it as much as the mobile app. One of the frustrations is that I keep getting pop-ups. Is there a way to remove those from happening?

My mobile app just stopped working this week. After removing and redownloading the app several times to try and resolve the issue, I finally looked and found this thread and see that the mobile app has been removed. I tried the web version and it works. Although I do not like it as much as the mobile app. One of the frustrations is that I keep getting pop-ups. Is there a way to remove those from happening?

Here are a couple of threads that might help.
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/annoying-repeated-pop-up-ads-90264.html
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/can-i-do-anything-to-stop-all-the-ads-105906.html

Thanks. I logged in per one of the recommendations and that seemed to help.

One user challenge is text size. Depending on the phone, mobile app browser and the OS, changing this requires trial and error. And sometimes you can't get there from here.

For example, in Brave browser on my Pixel 7a, the New Posts page does not honor the browser request to zoom text to 110%. However, on the actual post page the browser text zoom does work properly.

This may not matter to other users, but I thought it worth mentioning.

I haven't been able to zoom text in my browser either. I've only tried it in Brave however. I'm not sure what the experience would be in Firefox. I've given up on Chrome. Not being able to zoom text, however, means I rarely check the website on my Android phone anymore.

I haven't been able to zoom text in my browser either. I've only tried it in Brave however. I'm not sure what the experience would be in Firefox. I've given up on Chrome. Not being able to zoom text, however, means I rarely check the website on my Android phone anymore.
I pinch and make it larger on screen, so that just the subject fills the width of the screen. Mildly annoying.

I pinch and make it larger on screen, so that just the subject fills the width of the screen. Mildly annoying.

That's what I do on my Pixel 7pro.
It's hardly annoying at all to me.
I use my phone for 98% of my er.org browsing.
I never used the app...

Wow, really miss the app. I’m using the mobile view in the browser but I still miss the app. I appreciate all that people do to keep this site running so smoothly.

I also miss the app. I had the app in my social media folder on my iPhone and iPad, which prompted me to open it regularly. Now I don’t participate nearly as often because I forget to go to the website. I hope someday we will have an app again, but understand the need to address other important issues.

I also miss the app. I had the app in my social media folder on my iPhone and iPad, which prompted me to open it regularly. Now I don’t participate nearly as often because I forget to go to the website. I hope someday we will have an app again, but understand the need to address other important issues.

Create a shortcut icon to the website and you can save it to that same social media folder.

Back
Top Bottom