Medicare Dental Plans?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was just phone interviewed by Social Security for Medicare and took parts A & B. Now I am looking at possibly getting a Medicare supplemental dental plan for dental implants should I need them. Does anyone have any real life experience with this?
What companies are best? Is this worth purchasing? Etc.:confused:?
I did find this on the net:

Medicare Dental Coverage - A Complete Consumer Guide

I was just phone interviewed by Social Security for Medicare and took parts A & B. Now I am looking at possibly getting a Medicare supplemental dental plan for dental implants should I need them. Does anyone have any real life experience with this?
What companies are best? Is this worth purchasing? Etc.:confused:?

My wife and I have benefited greatly over the years through dental insurance; however, that insurance was through an employer. We knew our insurance was going to be cancelled and we had some time to get things fixed. We had some crowns done (4), one surgically removed tooth, cleanings, xrays, etc. that would have cost at least $7000. Our cost was less than $1k.

I think a lot depends on your personal history with dental care. My SIL and GSon spend a ton on dental due to history of bad dental genes. Daughter has beautiful teeth and spends very little. Read an article recently how good dental hygene is related to your overall health. One of my good friends who is a scientist told me recently that when people started paying more attention to their teeth, back in the 40's and 50's is when life expectancy increased by leaps and bounds. I don't have any facts to back this up but I believe him and can invision this as the case.

Sorry for rambling on but this is a very important subject.

When looking at purchasing dental ins. you have to check:
1. waiting period for certain procedures. i.e crowns, dentures.
2. what percentage they cover for restorative (fillings), and prosthodontics (crowns, dentures).
3. what the annual maximum is. Many ins. policies only have a $1,000 max. Enough for one crown a year.
In general individual policies I've seen are more expensive than what they are worth. Remember the ins. cos. have to make money on these policies.

Hello:

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Since I retired, I pay for all of my
dental bills out of pocket.

I never tried this idea, but I have heard of this on TV, and from one of my friends.

They go to a "teaching dental college". The process takes longer, but the students are supervised. All of the dental procedures are much cheaper.

If you have more time than money, and are patient, no pun intended, going to a dental school is a good option for dental care, especially if it is more extensive than a filling or two.

They go to a "teaching dental college". The process takes longer, but the students are supervised. All of the dental procedures are much cheaper.

I'm sure this is cheaper. This is how the poor got medical care before Medicare and Medcaid. It was supervised by experts, but as you know that is not the same as being cared for by experts. :)

Ha

I had a similar discussion with a relative recently. He recommended using the services of the local community college with a dental hygienist program.

I went to a dental school when I was a very poor college student. The work I got at Northwestern University in Chicago (a highly rated school, but no idea about the Dental School) was okay, but had to be replaced relatively quickly (which is under 10 years to me). And my student Dentist was a young Mormon man who you knew had the nose to the grindstone and not partying. Maybe I would have been luckier with the Dental school stud who partied but did better work?

I've never tried dental school route because we have dental coverage through works but my daugther was trained as dentist at UCLA and she told me that they do everything by the book and was always supervised by experienced dentists. I would definitely recommend this route if you must.

Well, I wasn't so lucky with my student Dentist I guess as he just got a C+ on the work he did on me as I asked him. It really is the luck of the draw I think. However, it was cheap and I was a student at that time, so it was all I could afford then (so glad I worked my way out of poverty..ha!).
Would I recommend this route to someone? If they needed work done and were too poor or uninsured to go to a private Dentist, I would, also, yes.

I have a friend who has gone to our state dental school for her work. I am not sure she REALLY saved anything by no using a regular local dentist after having to drive 48 miles RT, paying for parking and paying the admittedly reduced fees.

Also, her work took many more trips & MUCH more time in the chair each trip to the school than similar work I have had done locally.

Guess its whatever floats your boat.

Back
Top Bottom