Medicare Enrollment

Archman

Recycles dryer sheets
I know that if one is receiving Social Security before the age of 65, will automatically be enrolled in Medicare when one reaches age 65. However, does this also include Part B?

I know that if one is receiving Social Security before the age of 65, will automatically be enrolled in Medicare when one reaches age 65. However, does this also include Part B?
Answer yes: Note that there is a difference of one month if ones birthday is on the first then medicare starts the first of the month before. So born on the first start the month before, born on the 2 thru the end of the month the 1st of that month.

You might want to go to Medicare website an enter the birthdate of interest. For example, my husband turns 65 in June. I entered his birthdate and it states he has until the end of SEP to initiate Medicare part B. Then when I file it, it takes 3 months before he will get his Medicare part B. So he may start paying for Medicare part B in January.
But recently, they sent him an automatic enrollment card to Medicare pat B in June. I had to send the card back and denied it. In Sept, I might have to wait in line at a social security office to restart Medicare part B.
I mean they will do everything to get you sign up whether or not you want it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

If you are receiving Social Security and do not want Medicare Part B, can you refuse or cancel it? Are you subject to the ACA penalty if you don't sign up for Medicare?

I have another private insurance. If you don't have insurance you should sign up to Medicare, I mean why not, I thought that's the cheapest, that's what everybody is looking forward to.
So no penalty for me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

If you are receiving Social Security and do not want Medicare Part B, can you refuse or cancel it? Are you subject to the ACA penalty if you don't sign up for Medicare?
As long as you have Medicare Part A or Medicare Advantage it is considered coverage.

Back
Top Bottom