Midlife crisis?

I guess I'm having a mid-life crisis: I have an uncontrollable urge to RETIRE!!!

I was wondering when someone was going to say that most of our mid-life crisis's was early retirement. :)

I was wondering when someone was going to say that most of our mid-life crisis's was early retirement. :)

We are too polite, and too aware of our own vulnerability to mention such a thing.

Ha

The stereotypical symbols of the male midlife crisis are usually the job crisis, desire for other women (sexual/ego inflation), and new stuff, like the proverbial red sports car (more ego inflation?). What are the symbols for women, I wonder? Having never gone through this, I'm curious. I'd imagine that some women, like men, have a midlife crisis based on sudden fear that life is passing them by. They have the stereotypical affair or get into image inhancement, since a woman's value is so often based on her appearance.

My wife has suggested several times I was having a mid life crisis but I told her when/if I had one she would know. It would be much bigger.

Jeb

I planned DH's midlife crisis for him--when he turned 40. We quit work and went sailing for 3 months. It seemed easier than waiting around to see what he'd come up with on his own! :)
He's now off on a year-45 sojourn for a week with old friends all hitting the same milestone. Hiking to the highest mountain in Costa Rica.
All good with me, heck, I'm planning my 40th birthday party and it is still almost 3 years away!

I want in on that motorhome race--but I've gotta have a pretty good head start--like a couple of states!

I had my mid-life crisis at 49. Pretty classic -- trade in a perfectly good car for a brand new two-seater convertible that you don't really want to take out on snowy roads in Colorado. It was precipitated by one of those medical diagnoses that reminds you that time is passing.

But as a friend of mine pointed out, since I'm not likely to make it to 98, "mid-life" might not be so accurate.

Coach

I planned DH's midlife crisis for him--when he turned 40. We quit work and went sailing for 3 months. It seemed easier than waiting around to see what he'd come up with on his own! :)
He's now off on a year-45 sojourn for a week with old friends all hitting the same milestone. Hiking to the highest mountain in Costa Rica.
All good with me, heck, I'm planning my 40th birthday party and it is still almost 3 years away!

I want in on that motorhome race--but I've gotta have a pretty good head start--like a couple of states!

You married 8 years older, and women live 7 years longer than men..............sounds like a FIRE plan to me!! ;):)

You married 8 years older, and women live 7 years longer than men..............sounds like a FIRE plan to me!! ;):)

No moss growing on you, FD! Of course that was my evil plan! :) But as a consolation, he gets to retire at 50, while I keep working merrily away for at least a few more years!

So, FD, how's the phone this and last week? ;) Whew, not many freaking out, but those that are, are the new ones!

Seems to me there's more distress on here with the DIY crowd than with my clients.

Of course, REWahoo would attribute it to the fact I only manage money for DEAD people..........:)

The stereotypical symbols of the male midlife crisis are usually the job crisis, desire for other women (sexual/ego inflation), and new stuff, like the proverbial red sports car (more ego inflation?). What are the symbols for women, I wonder? Having never gone through this, I'm curious. I'd imagine that some women, like men, have a midlife crisis based on sudden fear that life is passing them by. They have the stereotypical affair or get into image inhancement, since a woman's value is so often based on her appearance.

Go off on a brief cruise with "the girls", clip & dip at a top salon, nails at a nail salon, divorce, quit the job and go back to college, go dancing, travel to Tuscany or Vienna, run a marathon, get a real estate license, open a dress shop... :angel: We can all use a little change in our lives when it seems like life is passing us by!

I think that as women, sometimes we are expected to do a variety of things, so our midlife crises aren't as obvious to others as men's midlife crises. Many of us still need to break loose and live the lives we always wanted to live, just like they do. For me that was especially true when my child grew up and I was freed of some of the motherly responsibilities of earlier years.

Last edited:
For me that was especially true when my child grew up and I was freed of some of the motherly responsibilities of earlier years.

In my case FIRE will closely coincide with the youngest being on his own....who would have "thunk" it?? :D:D

I had my mid-life crisis at 49. Pretty classic -- trade in a perfectly good car for a brand new two-seater convertible that you don't really want to take out on snowy roads in Colorado. It was precipitated by one of those medical diagnoses that reminds you that time is passing.

But as a friend of mine pointed out, since I'm not likely to make it to 98, "mid-life" might not be so accurate.

Coach

But I still wonder how buying a great 2 seater, yes they are sweet and great cars I mean the honda or the mazda or the BMW are well just great vehicles. I had a two seater the MG Midget back in the early 70s so how come when we get a bit older, don't want to drive around another say couple in the back seat or we don't want to drive say my sister in laws 8 year old and her friends that its called a midlife crisis??

Back
Top Bottom